Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Constant criticism!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I was there with my 8 year old son. We are st holders. For the first time in my life of watching Brighton we left with 15 minutes remaining. Frankly my son and I had, had enough and I honestly at that point could not of cared less about the result. There are some players at this club who do not deserve a professional contract to play football. The defence en bloc have redefined "bad" in my book and I'm not sure I want to be wet, cold and pissed off any more watching f***ing Virgo once again whack the ball over the Sportsman.

My son asked if we HAVE to come again, my answer was only as a punishment if he was naughty!

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
Those taking their sons for the first time today must sit them down and explain that it is a rare event for us to win at home and it is not uncommon for supporters to critisise poor play,support has to be earned.

I can see what you're saying, but I don't entirely agree that support has to be completely earned. To a certain extent yes, but surely the whole point of supporting a team is that you support them fully, regardless of whether they are having a bad patch or otherwise. Its that unwaning commitment that makes you a fan of your team.

It's never going to do anybody any good relentlessly slagging off smith or dickinson, who i'm really pleased got a couple against R&D, hopefully it'll silence a few critics.

We have got this squad until at least january. We really need to support the lads, regardless of whether you think they're a waste of skin, and hopefully given time gus and maurice can turn things around!

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
never had the chance to take my 5 year old son to the Albion, yet, but he's been to Perth Glory a few times and shite as the standard maybe and likely to concede the winner / equalizer in injury time as the Glory are, the crowd has fun every time and so he wants to go again......

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Were you sitting in E block?
There was a group of about 8 youngish Muppets who could not say one word without an F*** or C*** before and after it.
They started on at Dickinson before he even scored the first goal and that was what after three minutes!!
They continued this abuse throughout the match adding both Virgo and Elphick to the abuse.
They spent the whole game singing karaoke and trying to be funny (which they weren’t) and comparing the Withdean to Chelsea.
It made a pretty miserable afternoon, what with the rain and the performance even worse.
I know we need fans through the gates but please lads don't come again.
bet you didnt fancy telling the big fella that did you?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Personally a lot of the negativity is just a reflection of society these days, most people are so unbelievable selfish these days that they don't do anything without expecting to get something in it for themselves. When I was growing up we went to the football to support our team and booing the team or hurling abuse at them was completely unheard of!

Granted the standard of football has recently been dire, but the mentality that the supporters have the right to tear shreads off the players will only serve to ruin the enjoyment of other supporters, and sap the confidence of the players. Besides being completely and utterly selfish.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Personally a lot of the negativity is just a reflection of society these days, most people are so unbelievable selfish these days that they don't do anything without expecting to get something in it for themselves. When I was growing up we went to the football to support our team and booing the team or hurling abuse at them was completely unheard of!

Granted the standard of football has recently been dire, but the mentality that the supporters have the right to tear shreads off the players will only serve to ruin the enjoyment of other supporters, and sap the confidence of the players. Besides being completely and utterly selfish.

Admire the sentiments Tedebear but I can remember Albion teams getting stick in the 60s and 70's so not sure it is really a modern phenomenon. What has changed is the language. Do not recall F and C words being used that much then especially where there were women or children.

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
Thought i would take advantage of reduced ticket prices and take my 9 year old son to todays game.We sat in the south stand and could not believe the negative comments before the game was underway.During the game this got progressively worse,constant barracking towards our players. My son then asked me why these so called fans kept doing this,he then asked me if they were Albion fans.What could i say? Dickinson was harshly getting both barrels from these idiots,not long after he opened the scoring.I personally rate him,i thought some of his link up play and passing today was very good aswell as his workrate.It was somewhat ironic when he orchastrated then scored the winning goal that puts us in round 3 with possibly a moneyspinning tie looming.This may enable us to buy a decent defender.
As far as the constant criticism,i believe this puts unnecessary pressure on the team.The crowd are supposed to be the 12th man for the home sides but it seems at Withdean the away team get this benefit.This explains our poor home form,i think the players themselves prefer to play away(Southampton,Millwall,Carlisle etc).This is not the first time i have experienced such negativity at Withdean,it is noticed by a lot of my friends and other people i know who go to games.It also puts people off going.These idiots must realise they are no support they are plainly a hindrance to the whole club.

Agreed, I cant stand it anymore. If I could afford to go I would think again due to the horrible atmosphere that you find in side the ground due to fans constant negativity and moaning.

shwoody1

May 18, 2009
lewes
Agreed, I cant stand it anymore. If I could afford to go I would think again due to the horrible atmosphere that you find in side the ground due to fans constant negativity and moaning.

i know what your saying, but people are allowed to moan if they want. just ignore it. as for wholesale slating of players that is out of order. i dont sit in the south stand but from what ive heard from others the middle part is the worst for slagging the players off. im sure there are other parts of the ground that are not so. in fairness it is hard sometimes not to be negative, yesterday a prime example, when it would appear that only crofts and one or two others looked like they were fighting for the cause.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
You're quite right. I had it put into perspective by my 8 year old son; we were coming home in the car and I was commenting on getting soaked whilst watching one of the most abject displays of football I've seen in a long time and he cut me short by telling me how much he'd enjoyed it. That it was - in his words - 'brilliant'.

And in that short, succinct moment he showed me just exactly what had happened to my view of football over the years. I always want a 'performance'. To see my team play like 1970 Brazil will only do. All he wants is a win. And that's why - to him - today was 'brilliant'. Lesson learnt. Thanks son.

:thumbsup:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
To those who took their kids to the game yesterday and found it to be a miserable experience, try going to an away game instead...the atmosphere is usually far more positive, the singing entertaining and you don't usually get the Withdean negativity.

Many people have voted with their feet already and no longer go to watch home games, it will indeed be interesting to see how things pan out at Falmer and whether a new ground brings with it renewed optimism and a change in attitudes...something does need to change but do the fans, who are the issue at the moment, have the heart and mind to make it happen?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Withdean is just so awful. Brings out the negative in anyone. Especially people who've been forced to go there a decade longer than should have. On the back end of a decade of misery. That would test anyone - I include myself in that!!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Thought i would take advantage of reduced ticket prices and take my 9 year old son to todays game.We sat in the south stand and could not believe the negative comments before the game was underway.During the game this got progressively worse,constant barracking towards our players. My son then asked me why these so called fans kept doing this,he then asked me if they were Albion fans.What could i say? Dickinson was harshly getting both barrels from these idiots,not long after he opened the scoring.I personally rate him,i thought some of his link up play and passing today was very good aswell as his workrate.It was somewhat ironic when he orchastrated then scored the winning goal that puts us in round 3 with possibly a moneyspinning tie looming.This may enable us to buy a decent defender.
As far as the constant criticism,i believe this puts unnecessary pressure on the team.The crowd are supposed to be the 12th man for the home sides but it seems at Withdean the away team get this benefit.This explains our poor home form,i think the players themselves prefer to play away(Southampton,Millwall,Carlisle etc).This is not the first time i have experienced such negativity at Withdean,it is noticed by a lot of my friends and other people i know who go to games.It also puts people off going.These idiots must realise they are no support they are plainly a hindrance to the whole club.

He`ll soon have that positive attitude knocked out of him.............. most of us have.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I couldn't care less if the players like it or not....but I hate it!

It does spoil things for me to hear someone whinge constantly throughout a game, even if I agree with their criticism! I don't need someone delivering a tirade of abuse in my ear - it is very boring and most of the time it's only the fans who can hear it, not the players. And adding the F and C words to every sentence doesn't make a comment clever or fuinny, just very boring...again.

Even if some of the comments are heard by players, I am convinced it does nothing to make them play better.

Of course, people have the right to criticise but, equally, I have the right to complain about them spoiling the game for me.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

It does spoil things for me to hear someone whinge constantly throughout a game, even if I agree with their criticism! I don't need someone delivering a tirade of abuse in my ear - it is very boring and most of the time it's only the fans who can hear it, not the players. And adding the F and C words to every sentence doesn't make a comment clever or fuinny, just very boring...again.

Even if some of the comments are heard by players, I am convinced it does nothing to make them play better.

Of course, people have the right to criticise but, equally, I have the right to complain about them spoiling the game for me.

:clap: spot on.

Don't get me started

One Nation under CCTV
Jul 24, 2007

Agreed, I sit in E block and 10 mins into the Leeds game it started, I have been going to the same place long enough to see that it does have an effect on players. It really is like the opposition bringing on an extra player. Its dull boring and when the bad launguage starts and shows stunning lack of imagination.

This weekend a Dad near me brought his young son and left at half time as the vitriol around him was totally uncalled for. I have witnessed it myself taking my kids when they were small, a few morons stand up spouting vitriol and bile and somehow think they are contributing to the success of the club.

I know there is the family stand but please get real my eyesights not that good

Last edited:

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
You go to any premiership game and the constant swearing is worse than any Albion game. Par for the course these days sadly.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It is difficult to draw much in the way of conclusions by mixing non-league/cup games in with league games - managers/teams/supporters attitudes aren't the same.

Well, since saturday was a cup game, and this debate is about saturday, and you insist on separating league form from cup form, then we need to ignore the league form.

Our cup form is:

Away
Played 3
Won 0
Draw 1
Lost 2

Home
Played 2
Won 2
Draw 0
Lost 0

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports