Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Conservatory dismantling & removal

SteveU

May 31, 2022

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
How have you devalued a house with a conservatory? I have a conservatory AND an extension....neither were built in the 80's:shrug:
I did unfortunately have to devalue it because although we had about 20 viewings from memory ( it was a while ago ) lots of people remarked about the cost of knocking it down and what it would cost. No one wanted to keep it . The eventual buyer brought round a builder on the 2nd viewing to get a approx cost for building an extension in that space and was quoted around £125k. Think it’s been built now .

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Not in
That says adding a ‘Naff’ conservatory will devalue your home which is obvious.

Well built, tasteful conservatories will always add value to your home.
Not in my experience ! Buyers want brick built extensions not glass hothouses that were a cheaper option in the 70’s & 80’s .

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Are the builders you have contracted to build the extension not interested in demolishing the conservatory?
I have, in the past, taken down several conservatories prior to building extensions, but ,alas, I am now too old to take this on.
That's Plan C.

We met with the builder last week to confirm everything, and although it's his preference to have the conservatory removed prior to starting, he/his team can dismantle as part of the initial site prep. I'd like to give them as few extra tasks as possible, just to make life easier for all concerned.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not in

Not in my experience ! Buyers want brick built extensions not glass hothouses that were a cheaper option in the 70’s & 80’s .
Underfloor heating for the winter and solar control glass pretty much removes the traditional extreme temps associated with them. We use ours as a dining room after extending the kitchen and can easily manage the temperature all year round

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Underfloor heating for the winter and solar control glass pretty much removes the traditional extreme temps associated with them. We use ours as a dining room after extending the kitchen and can easily manage the temperature all year round
That’s good you’ve found a solution.

You would have added real value by knocking it down and incorporating that extra space into your kitchen extension .

Conservatories are viewed by most buyers as very old lady ( I think that’s the phrase in England ) and ugly .

Last edited:

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
Spending thousands to have conservatories removed sort of negates the £15K drop in price?
It shouldn't cost anything like £15000 to remove a conservatory!
It's quite a simple job that could be done by 2 men in a couple of days, so it's just their labour cost and the price of a skip.
If the conservatory is of aluminium construction there will be a bit of scrap value too.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That’s good you’ve found a solution.

You would have added real value by knocking it down and incorporating that extra space into your kitchen extension .

Conservatories are viewed by most buyers as very old lady ( I think that’s the phrase in England ) and ugly .
Interesting point of view without knowing a single thing about our house and garden size/layout.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Interesting point of view without knowing a single thing about our house and garden size/layout.
Or indeed from someone living in a flat

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Dazzer's house:
16fdcb8a6d12b3bcca16be9d874e3410.jpg

SteveU

May 31, 2022
Not in

This isn’t about whether a conservatory or brick extension adds more value to your house is it?

You stated that conservatories devalue houses which just isn’t true.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
This isn’t about whether a conservatory or brick extension adds more value to your house is it?

You stated that conservatories devalue houses which just isn’t true.
Well it has been true most of the time in my experience- certainly in Brighton and Hove . Unless of course you find a buyer who wants to keep it . Most want to knock it down and factor that into their offer .

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Had to get mine knocked down for an extension years ago. Builders wanted £1200 to knock it down. Sold it on eBay for £600, to someone from Liverpool who drove down and dismantled it for me and took it away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here