Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Conservatives to push forward on manifesto and scrap Human Rights Act

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'm a bit concerned about how this works, and just who is drafting it. The current Act has its flaws, but would the new Act be less rather than more ?

My biggest concern is the erosion of employment rights. The Tories are the servants of big business, so might we be. I fear a clear distinction will be made as to who the overlords are, and how we are indeed servants.

I think this will be more to do with snooping on people.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Reducing the number of seats from 650 to 600 means Labour would lose out big time with every constituency made up of an equal number of voters. Labour would start off each general election with a 20 seat handicap because many of the marginals will simply disappear. Bozza Johnson could be our PM until 2055.

They are not talking about reduced numbers but redrawing boundries, taking into account white flight etc. That and aScexit could kill off labour for good.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He will need to act quickly because of the number of elderly Tory MPs and possible death. and losing their seat in a another by election.

That only works if the old fuddy wuddies are not in safe tory seats.

Will be best thing to happen to this country the day we rid ourselves of the Human Rights Act. Implemented by Blair and remarkably lined his pockets through his 'Human Rights Lawyer' wife cashing in on protecting terrorists and criminals! The sooner its scrapped the better!!

Wasn't the HRA merely passed to mirror what we signed up to in relation to the European Human rights laws and just meant that we could deal with things in our own courts rather than go to the expense of the European Court of Human Rights.

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
I'm a bit concerned about how this works, and just who is drafting it. The current Act has its flaws, but would the new Act be less rather than more ?

My biggest concern is the erosion of employment rights. The Tories are the servants of big business, so might we be. I fear a clear distinction will be made as to who the overlords are, and how we are indeed servants.

The HRA is simply an enshrinement in English law of our obligations under the European Convention on Human Rights (nothing to do with EU by the way). So the real question is whether any new Bill of Rights requires us to withdraw from the Convention. If it does not then we would still be subject to the European Court. If we do withdraw then a great civilising instrument for the whole of Europe will be diminished and put at risk

So what is it really about - could it just be a populist political move that seems to put Johnny Foreigner in his place!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Scrap human rights, batter the shit out of protesters when NHS starts getting sold off?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It doesn't matter as someone can simply go to the ECHR and unless we 're not in the EU anymore nothing has changed

Not true - the ECHR is entirely separate from the EU. The only thing they share is the word 'European'.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Stop moaning - you chose not to take part.

FYI I tried to register half hour before the cut off time but couldn't find my national insurance number, and as I said my lib dem vote would've made a massive difference wouldn't it!?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
FYI I tried to register half hour before the cut off time but couldn't find my national insurance number, and as I said my lib dem vote would've made a massive difference wouldn't it!?

So you knew there was an election coming for weeks, no, months, and you decide to register 30 minutes before the cut off !!!! And the point is that even if your vote won't have made a difference it would have given you a legitimate voice. As it is, you come across as a moaner who couldn't be bothered.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
So you knew there was an election coming for weeks, no, months, and you decide to register 30 minutes before the cut off !!!! And the point is that even if your vote won't have made a difference it would have given you a legitimate voice. As it is, you come across as a moaner who couldn't be bothered.

Er yeah I thought I'd watch all the TV debates before I bother and tbh I didn't want to pick any of the lying *******s, as I keep pointing out politics has been dead for a huge generation for years, still you'll find out eventually what your really IMPORTANT vote does to the country

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Shock horror, parliamentary majority gets to work on its election pledges.

I was listening to one of the Guardian political podcasts and this commentator said that at his meetings he put forward a simple proposition that any new government passed no legislation for a year. The thinking was that there are too many laws anyway and that a government needs to take time to establish what actually needs to be done. It did sound quite sensible to me.

I was listening to one of the Guardian political podcasts and this commentator said that at his meetings he put forward a simple proposition that any new government passed no legislation for a year. The thinking was that there are too many laws anyway and that a government needs to take time to establish what actually needs to be done. It did sound quite sensible to me.

Since when has the "S" word had a place in politics?

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester

Sounds like an awful waste of some highly-paid people's time. Maybe it makes more sense with a new government rather than one that is composed of mostly the same ministers as the last 5 years. Also, some legislation will take years to get through.

I also think some of the best stuff was the earliest. The 5 year fixed terms that they introduced straight after 2010 was hugely beneficial, in my opinion.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
If you dont vote you dont influence change however big or small your vote is. Similar to buying a lottery ticket . You cant expect to win unless you buy one !

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Sounds like an awful waste of some highly-paid people's time. Maybe it makes more sense with a new government rather than one that is composed of mostly the same ministers as the last 5 years. Also, some legislation will take years to get through.

I also think some of the best stuff was the earliest. The 5 year fixed terms that they introduced straight after 2010 was hugely beneficial, in my opinion.

Fair points. But there is some sense to it.

And let's face it - some election pledges are made to get elected and are aimed at support, or more often voters who they want to support. In government you are governing on behalf of all the people. A period of inactivilty may provide a bit of perspective.

For example - do we really need legislation on the pledge not to raise Taxes/NI ? I hope that is left in the pending tray.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
David Cameron is drawing up plans to bring forward an in/out referendum on Britain’s membership of the European Union by a year to 2016 in order to avoid a politically dangerous clash with the French and German elections in 2017.

As the prime minister declared that he had a mandate from the electorate to renegotiate the terms of Britain’s membership, government sources said Downing Street was keen to move quickly on the timing of the referendum.

If peers break with the Salisbury convention, which says that the upper house should not delay measures in the winning party’s election manifesto, then the government would have to force the bill through using the Parliament Act. This would take place a year after the bill’s second reading in the Commons which means the prime minister could override the Lords in June 2016. This means the referendum could be held in July or after the summer break in September 2016.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here