Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Conservative Party Conference

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Conservatives seem to be picking and choosing who can engage with the conference and to what extent.
Unfortunately, stories like this just get swamped in all the other scandals. Poor form, regardless of politics…

Windrush activists ‘disgusted’ after being turned away at Tory conference
Anthony Brown and Julia Davidson ‘humiliated’ after being shut out despite paying £225 for full access;

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ed-after-being-turned-away-at-tory-conference

Reading what happened to them and how they were treated is like reading something from the US Deep South in 1950. This should not be happening in the U.K. in 2021.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The Conservatives seem to be picking and choosing who can engage with the conference and to what extent.
Unfortunately, stories like this just get swamped in all the other scandals. Poor form, regardless of politics…

Anthony Brown and Julia Davidson ‘humiliated’ after being shut out despite paying £225 for full access;

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ed-after-being-turned-away-at-tory-conference

Reading what happened to them and how they were treated is like reading something from the US Deep South in 1950. This should not be happening in the U.K. in 2021.

£225 blimey, the dark money must be drying up these days

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Kit Malthouse pretending not to know where Johnson was while the camera panned round to show him 50 feet away talking to another journalist was both funny and perfectly illustrates the ineptitude and bare faced lying so common among government ministers

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Slightly off topic, but my nephew has a PhD in neuroscience but has decided to be a trainee patent attorney (just updated to part qualified). I have a neighbour who has a PhD in biochemistry and cell biology, but is now a magician and another with a BSc in biochemistry, who is now a cabinet maker (Mounted my West Pier artefact on an oak base) Incredible the way career changes manifest.

Aye.

'A biomedical science education prepares the mind for new adventures', is one way of looking at it.

Nevertheless....there are plenty still in the game who would benefit everyone, including themselves, by looking toward a career change. ???

The path from biomed to laws makes a lot of sense, though. I have done some consulting with companies involved in patent challenge and related litigation. Some of the legal people I have dealt with obtained science degrees prior to entering laws training. Still....I was the expert witness....you can't beat decades of experience, can you? ??? :wink:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Kit Malthouse pretending not to know where Johnson was while the camera panned round to show him 50 feet away talking to another journalist was both funny and perfectly illustrates the ineptitude and bare faced lying so common among government ministers

Brilliant.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I wouldn't dream of 'editing' your post 'for you', for every reason imaginable, but may I at least ask whether you might consider inserting 'current' between 'among' and 'government'?

Actually.....scrub that :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

One might have thought (after the massive mea culpa moments over the last few years wrt the Windrush generation, which can easily be blamed on 'the past' - provided we move on gracefully) that the goons might have learned a lesson about how to treat black people. Any people, actually...

That's the stand out feature of this shower (which I date back to the emergence of 'call me Dave'), which puts them at the bottom of the pile along with 'Corbyn Labour' and the last hurrah of Major) - the complete inability to learn anything from their mistakes, the past, the laws of physics and maths, ABC, gravity won't pull you through, anything really :shrug:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
One might have thought (after the massive mea culpa moments over the last few years wrt the Windrush generation, which can easily be blamed on 'the past' - provided we move on gracefully) that the goons might have learned a lesson about how to treat black people. Any people, actually...

That's the stand out feature of this shower (which I date back to the emergence of 'call me Dave'), which puts them at the bottom of the pile along with 'Corbyn Labour' and the last hurrah of Major) - the complete inability to learn anything from their mistakes, the past, the laws of physics and maths, ABC, gravity won't pull you through, anything really :shrug:

Agreed. Starmer is at least trying to change tack. He’s made an ineffectual hash of it but he gave it a go. And he didn’t treat black people as second class citizens at the Labour conference so he’s already got one up on the Tory conference.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
It was very noticeable that Johnson promoting locking protesters in jail got a bigger applause than the announcement of the arrival of Hong Kong and Afgan nationals.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
Here's your gigabit internet that means you can be more productive.
Now get back into the office and gossip by the water cooler.

It's all a bit of a contradiction

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
He may be an utter knob, but he's absolutely in his element up on stage like this.

Better script-writers than Starmer too.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
He may be an utter knob, but he's absolutely in his element up on stage like this.

Better script-writers than Starmer too.

I'm only half listening. There are so many nonsense statements. The latest being that the Conservatives stopped the European Super League. It got a big applaus because it had European in the name. Bigger applause than reducing carbon emissions.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean

Has he mentioned the 137,000 covid deaths, the billions wasted on track and trace, ppe bungs to their mates, the excluded, the fuel crisis etc etc etc

Just had a glance and he was saying 'Bring back beaver' so turned it off

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm only half listening. There are so many nonsense statements. The latest being that the Conservatives stopped the European Super League. It got a big applaus because it had European in the name. Bigger applause than reducing carbon emissions.

He may have thought he was actually delivering a best man's speech given the gag-to-serious ratio.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here