Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Conservative Party Conference

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Blimey! £4.62 for under 18’s? That’s very low. I had not idea it was so low.

Supposedly, Boris Johnson is putting up min wage to take affect next April which will will overtake the rate I’m currently on so in that sense, there is a positive for me and many others. Slightly offset by tax increases. But I should still come out up.
I remain open minded when it comes to pay and will monitor the situation. Let’s hope he sticks to his word. If he is citing increased wages as a bonus of ending free movement, he needs to ensure that this now happens.
Your daughters’ starting wage is encouraging, I’ll admit that for sure.

£8.91 is the national living wage for u23's but legally, they only have to be paid the minimum wage.

Only 23+ have to legally get the National Living wage. Under that age it's national minimum and is disgusting. I believe both my kids got National Living wage while working part time at college years ago, but I'll wait for them to confirm before naming the employer :wink:

I do a bit of work with young adults and the amount of minimum wage part time work around has increased enormously since coming out of lockdown.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
20211007_122520.jpg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
£8.91 is the national living wage for u23's but legally, they only have to be paid the minimum wage.

Only 23+ have to legally get the National Living wage. Under that age it's national minimum and is disgusting. I believe both my kids got National Living wage while working part time at college years ago, but I'll wait for them to confirm before naming the employer :wink:

I do a bit of work with young adults and the amount of minimum wage part time work around has increased enormously since coming out of lockdown.

Yes, I didn’t think £8.91 was minimum wage but the living wage, £8.91 is often spoken about as if it’s the min wage.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yes, I didn’t think £8.91 was minimum wage but the living wage, £8.91 is often spoken about as if it’s the min wage.

One of my kids has just confirmed that Primark were paying them above National Living wage (over £8 ph if they recall correctly) at 16 years old. And that was 10 years ago :eek:

My daughter (17) is working part time in retail alongside her college studies, she was given £8.91 straight away, no way they would offer that a couple of years ago [emoji106]

Your daughter wouldn't be at Primark, would she :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here