Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Conservative MP Sir David Amess murdered

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It’s ignorant & stupid comments like this , that don’t help at times like this . Because he didn’t agree with your lefty politics doesn’t make him vile ( actually makes him very sensible ) The police are investigating whether this was terrorist related , the killer is Muslim & of Somali descent or whether he was simply mentally ill .

The things he had controversial views about were not something I, for one, would associate with lefty politics - LGBT rights, abortion and the like from his strong Catholic Faith and so, to be fair, things he was committed to. And things I would have strongly disagree with him on.

On the other hand he was very active on animal rights and a vociferous opponent of fox-hunting, something I personally would have agreed with him on very strongly and something which would be associated with lefty politics. Does that make this part of him not sensible.

Not everything or everyone can be put in to little boxes. It’s not all black and white. There are shades of grey. David Amess would have been intelligent enough to work like that, while having strong views about things he had strong convictions about. Fair enough.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
An act of pure evil. Nobody should be assaulted, never mind to that degree, going about their business. I hope he didn't suffer but the time frame hints otherwise. A sickening event.

As a politician, he was head and shoulders above the ego-driven bell ends that take prominent positions. He seemed to take his role seriously. He was an animal lover, so that makes him a good person to me.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The things he had controversial views about were not something I, for one, would associate with lefty politics - LGBT rights, abortion and the like from his strong Catholic Faith and so, to be fair, things he was committed to. And things I would have strongly disagree with him on.

On the other hand he was very active on animal rights and a vociferous opponent of fox-hunting, something I personally would have agreed with him on very strongly and something which would be associated with lefty politics. Does that make this part of him not sensible.

Not everything or everyone can be put in to little boxes. It’s not all black and white. There are shades of grey. David Amess would have been intelligent enough to work like that, while having strong views about things he had strong convictions about. Fair enough.

Very good post. His work with the Music Man Project for children with learning disabilities may also have informed his views on subjects that some think are black and white.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

From the obituaries, he certainly had a strong view on his catholic faith. The Archbishop of Westminster Cardinal Vincent Nichols said:

“David carried out his vocation as a Catholic in public life.”

I’d suggest his faith was the most important thing in his life and informed all of his voting. He may not have had strong views on LGBTQ+ or Women’s rights but he voted according to his religion’s position on these subjects at the time.

In terms of how he should be remembered, there are too many obituaries to count that describe him as ‘kind’, ‘friendly’ and ‘hard working’. I’d suggest that he had the vote of any constituent who had dealings with him (no matter what political colour they were) and that as an MP focused on his constituency, he was incredibly effective and well regarded.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Just caught up with the news on waking up this morning.
Firstly my apologies for the use of the word vile. I was referring to some of his political views, not his personality but still, a poor choice of words.
Reading about his death today he was clearly well respected and looking beyond all NSC political opinions, a terrible death in a circumstance which is frankly horrific.
A sad day.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Firstly my apologies for the use of the word vile. I was referring to some of his political views, not his personality but still, a poor choice of words.
Reading about his death today he was clearly well respected and looking beyond all NSC political opinions, a terrible death in a circumstance which is frankly horrific.
A sad day.

Well said. I appreciate it wasn't easy for you to come on here and say that, but you have done. You have gone up in my estimation. Hopefully, your comment will set the tone for the rest of this thread. I hope others will also accept your apologies.

To digress slightly, keep an eye on Angela Rayner, who famously used 'Tory scum' in a late night rant. She also shoots from the hip, but her tweet yesterday morning has been received as 'trite sympathy' by the Conservatives.

Emotions will inevitably be running high, and I suspect she will be coming under severe pressure to make a statement along the lines of yours.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is really quite liberal of you, I just hope that you can understand that I am not a bad person, I would argue totally the opposite.
It's just misinterpretation and the lack of lateral thing that some see me in the wrong way.

Enough said.

Thinking of Sir David and his wife and children they must be feeling left in an empty world this morning. I hope their pain fades in time.

Thanks.

I have similar interpretation issues the reason for which has only recently been revealed to me.

And, your last point, very much so.

All the best.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Well said. I appreciate it wasn't easy for you to come on here and say that, but you have done. You have gone up in my estimation. Hopefully, your comment will set the tone for the rest of this thread. I hope others will also accept your apologies.

To digress slightly, keep an eye on Angela Rayner, who famously used 'Tory scum' in a late night rant. She also shoots from the hip, but her tweet yesterday morning has been received as 'trite sympathy' by the Conservatives.

Emotions will inevitably be running high, and I suspect she will be coming under severe pressure to make a statement along the lines of yours.

I agree with Eric the meek . I caught David Baddiel in Brighton last week & in his show whilst he illustrated several examples of right wing trolling , he said the left wing trolling was just as bad if not worse , mainly because they thought they were morally superior. And that’s coming from a staunch left winger !

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
A sad day.

well done fella …

as an aside, one of my best friends was a serving MP up until the last GL. when talking to him he described both DA and also a certain MR Kyle as being the nicest, kindest of people, superb MP’s (even though naturally he didn’t share all their POV’s) and great people to work with on sub committees.

i think that says it all.

We should measure people not by what party they support, what faith they do or do not have, what colour they are or where the come from, but by how they act, their deeds and actions, even if maybe we don’t share their views …

the world may, just, become a better, kinder more tolerant place in which to dwell.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
A sad day.

We all jump in sometimes before all facts emerge .... Well done on your apology though !!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm not sure how his political views entered into the debate. This should be a maturer forum. That's one for Argus Comments really.

I didn't like much of what he held, but there is an over-riding and singular point that renders everything else void.

Sir David was an elected politician in our democracy. The preferred choice of that part of Essex. He was a public employee, our employee, paid for by our taxes. He was murdered whilst faithfully carrying out those duties and reflecting the majority wishes of his constituents. While conducting a surgery he is carrying out the wishes of us all.

When a poilceman or women, an ambulance driver, fighfighter or anyone as such gets killed it's not just a personal tragedy (as if that wasn't enough) it is an attack on us all. Folk may get used to hearing stories of such acts, but attacks such as yesterday resonate above any part of us that has been de-sensitive to such news. They should unite and not divide.

Yesterday was a dark day for us all.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
RIP, a sad day for his family and those people who knew him.

A sad day also for our 'democracy' when someone choses to physically attack an MP (of any persuasion) then its an attack on that democratic system, let's hope we don't have some knee jerk reaction to this to curtail debate for fear of violence..

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
RIP Sir David Amess and thoughts for his family.

I assume security measures will again be reviewed ..but I hope that accessibility of our MP’s continues

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I was travelling yesterday when all this unfolded. Listening to the radio, developments were sad and depressing. It goes without saying that my thoughts were with his family and friends. It need no qualifying remarks, this is a horrific event that public servants should not be victims of. It is attack on our democracy. RIP Sir David

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
A really sad situation and so needless.

Politics since Brexit in particular has become massively tribal and hate filled.

And whilst social media is perhaps the biggest promoter of this behaviour, the way MP’s act in parliament needs to change. They should be leading by example, rather than the constant immature over talking and name calling.

If any positives can come out of this, would be MP’s signing up to a code of conduct, where adult and reasonable debate takes place and not the childish back and forth which is so tiresome and reflects badly all political parties.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here