[Politics] Conservative MP Sir David Amess murdered

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
[QUOT.E=vegster;10038344]Indeed this. The " Death Penalty " can never be justified in a civilised society as there is ALWAYS the chance that an innocent person is executed. When we had a Death Penalty it never stopped murders or brutal crimes anyway so it was a crap deterrent.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.

I hope during your lifetime you have no reason to record a Victim Impact Statement either as the recorder or recordee.

I have only been on one side of the table thus far, and it's not the best.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Did he provide a list of examples?

To use the word 'keep" might imply many such cases.

Unless it's just "right on" satire.

For reference, and I didn’t wish to get dragged into any sort of futile discussion on this thread, here is the full clip

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Can we keep this thread on topic please?

If you want to discuss other things then post elsewhere or you run the risk of being denied from posting on this thread.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Ahem, before ypu gp on about racist rants, that post merely states that the alleged killer is a 25 year old Somali; I understand that to have been reported, no? It is about as relevant - or irrelevant - as your statement about Jo Cox's killer being white, English, and a Brexiteer. In fact he was just a nazi, but that's not as nuanced as linking his race, his Englishness and Brexit views together, is it.
And by the way, he was Scottish.

Sorry, white Scottish nazi Brexiteer.

My point was simply that the Jo Cox assassin’s background was not a reason for tarring other white Scottish nazi Brexiteers with the same brush, any more than the supposed Somali background of the perpetrator was relevant in the current case.

And PPF was not simply reporting that background in a neutral way in his original post - he said:
“25 year old Somali national. FFS!”
That’s clearly a loaded (and in my view, offensively irrelevant) statement, particularly in light of PPF’s previous posts on similar topics.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A Government source says the suspect is a British National. BBC.

The original claim he is a Somali National was made on....GB news on youtube, and this has been repeated by other outlets (and by Das Reich on NSC). I will leave it to individuals to read the comments if they wish, but I will give warning about the tone (there are many triumphant 'told you so' posts, plus other rather ludicrous 'close the borders now!' demands. :facepalm:).

Why make up the nationality of a criminal? They should be prosecuted for incitement (with the evidence of it being their own youtube channel).

Edit and I am responding to the inflammatory comments, and am not the other half of 'each half being as bad as another', as my earlier posts on this thread clearly indicate.

Also all but two posters on the thread have been respectful, and it is reactions to these two posters (understandable too) that have caused this thread to degerate. But the reactions were correct (if a bit too prolonged).

I'm feeling a bit sick of this now. RIP Sir David.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Did he provide a list of examples?

To use the word 'keep" might imply many such cases.

Unless it's just "right on" satire.

Without googling anything, I can think of at least two cases where people were wrongly hanged - Timothy Evans, and the case of Craig and Bentley.

And there have been a number of cases since the death penalty was taken out where people have wrongly been convicted of murder - the Birmingham six and the Guildford four, for example.

At least if you’re not hanged, you can be released once your conviction is quashed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Fair enough.

I hope during your lifetime you have no reason to record a Victim Impact Statement either as the recorder or recordee.

I have only been on one side of the table thus far, and it's not the best.

I have.

Last edited:

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Watching Newsnight and it seems nobody had a bad word to say about the man. A devoted and committed man of principles who seemed to be in politics for the right reasons. Truly sad and tragic.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
Watching Newsnight and it seems nobody had a bad word to say about the man. A devoted and committed man of principles who seemed to be in politics for the right reasons. Truly sad and tragic.

Yes, it seems as though he was a thoroughly decent guy. They exist on both sides of the political divide, as do the self-serving wastes of space. I wish the Prime Minister had shown him the basic respect of finally brushing his hair before he spoke about him.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Absolutely horrific with the added fear that MPs will be minded (quite understandably after this second recent murder) to change the manner in which they connect with their constituents.

As a public figure with huge power over our lives, he should never be beyond criticism in life or even death.

Due to the nature of his death today, this isn't the place to pass comment on his world view and voting record. It's all there on the internet anyway.

There are wider issues at stake here surrounding the safety of people who work in the public sector, government, civil service or journalists.

Whether that be MPs, the Chief Medical Adviser, the BBC staff left at Television Centre, those trying to run a vaccine centre or journalists who dare to question Tommy Robinson.

Last edited:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Politically, about as vile as they come but nobody deserves this. I hope he recovers and justice is served. Madness.

It’s ignorant & stupid comments like this , that don’t help at times like this . Because he didn’t agree with your lefty politics doesn’t make him vile ( actually makes him very sensible ) The police are investigating whether this was terrorist related , the killer is Muslim & of Somali descent or whether he was simply mentally ill .

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It’s ignorant & stupid comments like this , that don’t help at times like this . Because he didn’t agree with your lefty politics doesn’t make him vile ( actually makes him very sensible ) The police are investigating whether this was terrorist related , the killer is Muslim & of Somali descent or whether he was simply mentally ill .

I agree with you but....This soil has been turned over so many times today that I can only conclude that with such obvious skills (relentlessness, lack of concern for the prevailing conditions, and sheer grit) we NSC posters get out there quickly on the farms of this great land and turn the soil in preparation for planting next year's crops. We have the skills.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Shame we don’t have more MP’s like Sir David. A real true Conservative “God, Queen and Country” unlike the fake Conservatives in cabinet. RIP.

That's not true to be fair, he was a far more nuanced that you imply. In reality he was an outsider who never made it to a top job for very good reasons under a number of leaders. His comments on a number issues are out there and the resulting controversy surrounding them have nothing to do with whether you consider yourself on the right or the left.

I've always found MPs like him (on either side) quite interesting since their views (often unpalatable, sometimes "progressive" but always incongruous) are much very their own and not something dictated from the top.

If you think he represented a "golden age" of conservatism you are very wrong. He strikes me as someone with very much their own mind and mistrusted by the hierarchy.

MPs like him have very little effect on the policy direction of their party but still get elected time after time.

I had a Labour MP like that years ago, complete outsider to the extent you wondered whether they were in the wrong party and was mystified they continued to get elected.

However when I had a problem (the Labour run council tried to take me to court for "unpaid" council tax they had misplaced) the MP sorted it in a few days.

I'd imagine he was a similar MP.

Last edited:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
RIP David.

With my dealings with him, he was a good decent man who if he thought he could help,did help, it was a pleasure to have known him.

D

Deleted member 2719

I saw your earlier post and I saw you decent reply.

This is not a day for making cheap points (you're not).

And yes, I have repeatedly been unpleasant to you over a long period. On occasions like this it is an opportunity for everyone to take stock. I'm going to 'unblock' you, I think.

This is really quite liberal of you, I just hope that you can understand that I am not a bad person, I would argue totally the opposite.
It's just misinterpretation and the lack of lateral thing that some see me in the wrong way.

Enough said.

Thinking of Sir David and his wife and children they must be feeling left in an empty world this morning. I hope their pain fades in time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here