Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Conor Gallagher ?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Let’s be honest, if his name was Carlos Gallagos and we were signing him from the Peruvian champions everyone here would be delighted

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I am only interested in the mind-crushing process of trying to work out what early 2000s boyband pop song I can shoe horn Joao Pedro into.
How about a 1980s Primary school assembly song?

To the tune of Give me joy in my heart (Sing Hosanna)

João Pedro, Enciso, Buonanotte
Caicedo, will not go , I pray
João Pedro, Enciso, Buonanotte
Playing football the De Zerbi way

Sing lallana, sing lallana,
Sing lallana to the King of kings!
Sing lallana, sing lallana,
Sing lallana
to the King.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I am only interested in the mind-crushing process of trying to work out what early 2000s boyband pop song I can shoe horn Joao Pedro into.
Dunno about a 2000s boy band, but there's that Madonna song, La Isla Bonita...

Last night I dreamt of Joao Pedro
Just in an Albion thong, it felt so wrong
Young guy with pink fur sombrero
I prayed that the dream would last, it went so fast

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Dunno about a 2000s boy band, but there's that Madonna song, La Isla Bonita...

Just in an Albion thong, it felt so wrong
Young guy with pink fur sombrero
I prayed that the dream would last, it went so fast
Great minds. I'd already posted this in the J.Pedro thread

La Isla Bonita - Madonna​

Just like he's been here long, I knew the song
A young guy with eyes like the desert
My word the boy can play, De Zerbi's way.
Tropical the island breeze
He is playing wild and free
This is where we long to be
La futbol bonita

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Gallagher is very very good at what he does. However, I'm not sure he does what we do. Although he's tough and tenacious, he's not got the tackling ability to play the Caicedo role.

His pressing is very good. When he was at Palace, he was the one who drove their midfield forward. To me he looks most effective as an attacking midfielder and it may seem that he could play in Mac Allister's preferred advanced role, but with Enciso, Joao Pedro, Buananotte, Welbeck & Undav, we don't seem short of players who can play centrally behind a striker. That's why Mac Allister often had to play deeper.

I've not seen Gallagher play the role of a more deep lying playmaker, nor as a covering midfielder and those seem to be what our style requires. Gilmour, Lallana, Gross and Dahoud seem to be our options for the role that picks the passes. Losing Caicedo and failing to replace his athleticism, awareness and tackling is the biggest worry. We will need someone to do that and I don't think that Gallagher is that player. I'd certainly take him if he was going cheap, but he won't be, and we need to be able to spend elsewhere.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

La futbol bonita
:lolol:
Apols, not been through that thread. Yes, this works.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Gallagher and colwill straight swap for caice
Gallagher is very very good at what he does. However, I'm not sure he does what we do. Although he's tough and tenacious, he's not got the tackling ability to play the Caicedo role.

His pressing is very good. When he was at Palace, he was the one who drove their midfield forward. To me he looks most effective as an attacking midfielder and it may seem that he could play in Mac Allister's preferred advanced role, but with Enciso, Joao Pedro, Buananotte, Welbeck & Undav, we don't seem short of players who can play centrally behind a striker. That's why Mac Allister often had to play deeper.

I've not seen Gallagher play the role of a more deep lying playmaker, nor as a covering midfielder and those seem to be what our style requires. Gilmour, Lallana, Gross and Dahoud seem to be our options for the role that picks the passes. Losing Caicedo and failing to replace his athleticism, awareness and tackling is the biggest worry. We will need someone to do that and I don't think that Gallagher is that player. I'd certainly take him if he was going cheap, but he won't be, and we need to be able to spend elsewhere.
I tend to agree although I understand that he can play the defensive midfielder role as well.
The problem with replacing Caicedo is that very few players will have the array of qualities he has.
What we will certainly miss is his tackling and ability to move round the pitch. Gallagher is mobile and can be physical. He likes a tackle. He has high energy levels.

He has played for England at every level up from u17 and has 7 full caps. He’s only 23.
As much as I’ll miss Caicedo if/ when he goes I think I prefer Gallagher as an option to some of the other alternatives I’ve seen rumoured eg Nunez from Norwich.

It’s also worth thinking that we aren’t overly keen on a full, present England international. How times have changed.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
For me I’m not against it.

Is he a player id want us to target personally, no.

But I’m feeling this is a player RDZ wants, as it isn’t a typical type of player we would be identifying and targeting.

If RDZ wants him I’m ok with it, it’s his team and we need to back him this window.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

La futbol bonita

Tropical the Sussex breeze

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
Didn’t we want Leipzig’s Haidara as a Caicedo replacement in January?

I haven’t seen anything regarding us going back in for him recently - would be a much better like for like than Gallagher

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
This is about my standpoint. I'd struggle as have always taken a huge dislike to the guy as a player - and genuinely not because of Palace - I noted his nasty over-aggressive style, and disregard for opponents safety while he was playing for West Brom.

I love the Albion, and I really want to like the players I'm supporting. He'd have quite a lot to do to win me round.
I think he's decent. But he's aggressive as you said. Did you go to the pre season friendly against Chelsea in one of the covid years? We had all the distancing etc. Gallagher played and within the first minute had hacked (Solly I think) one of our players down. He's a first grade tosser.

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
It’s a big yes from me.

He’s direct, not headless.

Not sure I understand why some here have commented that “aggression” is a negative for a midfielder. True, he picked up a fair few yellows and a red last season in a woeful Chelsea team but he’s not reckless per se.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here