Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Connelly

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You can support (synonym: help) this guy to increase the chance of having three good PL strikers or you can put him in a hole and increase the possiblity of only having two.

Choose wisely.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
You can support (synonym: help) this guy to increase the chance of having three good PL strikers or you can put him in a hole and increase the possiblity of only having two.

Choose wisely.

Come on Swanny.
He has to help himself.
We've helped him as a club for 5 years.
We support him at the games.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Come on Swanny.
He has to help himself.
We've helped him as a club for 5 years.
We support him at the games.

Most of it is obviously down to him, not arguing with that and I hope he will do well. Keep supporting him at the games then - we'll see a lot of him this season.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Do you think either Welbeck or Maupay are good enough to start or do you not rate them. Genuine question.

Also we are not ALL saying it.

I think some people are in danger of underestimating our plight: we have one decent fit PL striker in Maupay, one decent semi permanently unfit attacker in Welbeck … both of whom are proven to be not that prolific, and then we have young Aaron who has proven to be the dictionary definition of either a flash in the pan, and/or a real slow burner.

In short, lose Neal for any length of time and we are: if not very nearly relegated, very actually relegated.

It’s an unmitigated disaster in waiting up top, and if people are in denial then that’s okay - but I have an awful feeling we’re dicing more then ever with our PL status. No goal threat = relegation as proven for time in memorium.

I rate both NM and DW, but feel the weight of expectation now on the shoulders of wee Aaron will prove too great a weight to bear.

All of this combined with our woeful midfield scoring record… hmmmmm either we see a drastic reversal of fortunes or we see a rapid reversal into the mire once more.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I keep banging on about it, but the man to take the weight of all three's shoulders is JAKUB MODER.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I think when both fit of course both Maupay and Wellbeck are good enough to start.

Great. So you are panicking that our 3rd choice striker isn't the best when we are likely to only play 1 of them. I hate to break it to you but basically every clubs 3rd choice striker isn't someone they are hoping to rely on.....it's why they are 3rd
Ok a question for you Wellbeck gets injured out for 7 weeks Maupay then gets injured out long term. We are then left with a player that is simply not good enough for this level of football.

Yep. That's why they are 3rd choice. We would get someone you rate as 3rd choice and all you'd say is "what if they get injured". I'd answer, then we play 4th choice. It's how a squad works. The worse players are further down the pecking order. If you keep hypothetically injuring every player then eventually you won't be happy with the players you are left with.

You are happy with our 2 first choice strikers when we play 1 striker. I'd take that.

Now if you were moaning that you didn't think welbeck or maupay were good enough and we should get someone else in then (although I wouldn't agree) I'd understand your viewpoint.

To panic about a back up of a back up is just a scenario which I really can't get too worked up about. Are you panicking if we lose 2 goalkeepers to broken arms as well?

Ethelwulf

Apr 6, 2020
West Worthing
Great. So you are panicking that our 3rd choice striker isn't the best when we are likely to only play 1 of them. I hate to break it to you but basically every clubs 3rd choice striker isn't someone they are hoping to rely on.....it's why they are 3rd

Yep. That's why they are 3rd choice. We would get someone you rate as 3rd choice and all you'd say is "what if they get injured". I'd answer, then we play 4th choice. It's how a squad works. The worse players are further down the pecking order. If you keep hypothetically injuring every player then eventually you won't be happy with the players you are left with.

You are happy with our 2 first choice strikers when we play 1 striker. I'd take that.

Now if you were moaning that you didn't think welbeck or maupay were good enough and we should get someone else in then (although I wouldn't agree) I'd understand your viewpoint.

To panic about a back up of a back up is just a scenario which I really can't get too worked up about. Are you panicking if we lose 2 goalkeepers to broken arms as well?

But your missing the main point even though your logic on the above is sound. We last season were crying out for a better striker and this issue has not been addressed.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
But your missing the main point even though your logic on the above is sound. We last season were crying out for a better striker and this issue has not been addressed.

But you said you are happy with welbeck or maupay playing. So you want better than them or a replacement for connolly as 3rd choice?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And to loan out Zeqiri and now Sima (who has scored in the Europa League after all).
Of all our young players it is Connolly who should be going out on loan. He is so far off mentally and physically.
I have no idea what he does in training but he must put in a serious shift.
What happened against Spurs was a freak. A combination of a shambolic Spurs team and their underestimation of an unknown player.
I'm all for backing our players but he has been backed- way more than Ostigard. Way more than Zeqiri. Way more than Molumby etc.
Honestly, we'd be better off playing Duffy up front.

Personally overall I'm fairly happy with the work we've done this window, and I'm quite relaxed about the forthcoming season - but yes, this Connolly thing really baffles me. As you say, of all our players he is the one who should be going out on loan. Sending him out should have been done a year ago, or two years ago, or even now better late than never, but somehow it never happens. Why the f*** not? Maybe Championship teams might not be likely to give him enough game time (I don't think many of them would be clamouring to sign him at the moment, given his goas per game record) - but surely 46 games (or however many are left now) in League 1 would have had him back scoring goals and remembering what made him good before?
Maybe that would have ruffled his feathers, going from the PL too League 1, but so what? Tough. Sometimes I feel that there's one four letter word that's so unpopular these days that no-one dare use it - but they should ............ that word is 'must'.
"We're paying you about ten times as much as most lads of your age get, and we've decided a season at xxxxx is the best thing - so you must go, whether you like it or not." - simples, as they say - but we don't do it. Just can't understand why not. Sorry.

Last edited:

Ethelwulf

Apr 6, 2020
West Worthing
But you said you are happy with welbeck or maupay playing. So you want better than them or a replacement for connolly as 3rd choice?

We need better than Welbeck and Maupay to improve . So I want better than them and for them to be 2nd or 3rd choice which is their level and for Connolly to be moved out

But as the squad stands then yes Maupay and Welbeck are the best options to start upfront

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

Praise be.

Yep that’s it right there.

AND I’m not so sure GP sees it as a 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice at all… okay perhaps NM is top dog but AC isn’t ‘back up’ he’s used tactically and often… yet, in spite of this, he’s not PL equipped, he’s half baked.. potentially, yes, he could make it BUT he’s been going backwards literally since day one… sorry but that’s how it appears, or am I missing his goals, assists etc. so blinded by my unconscious bias…?

There’s the rub… I want him to be good, great even … but he’s simply not, and suggesting he’s a mere back up is not true… he’s an option within the array of systems we employ, but someone who is better equipped could do better, whilst still being worth 15-20 starts a season.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
After an unsuccessful transfer window in the hunt for a prolific scorer, the Albion have turned their attention to the acquisition of Shoosh nightclub with plans to shut the doors and work with what we have got.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Praise be.

AND I’m not so sure GP sees it as a 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice at all… okay perhaps NM is top dog but AC isn’t ‘back up’ he’s used tactically and often… yet, in spite of this, he’s not PL equipped, he’s half baked.. potentially, yes, he could make it BUT he’s been going backwards literally since day one… sorry but that’s how it appears, or am I missing his goals, assists etc. so blinded by my unconscious bias…?

There’s the rub… I want him to be good, great even … but he’s simply not, and suggesting he’s a mere back up is not true… he’s an option within the array of systems we employ, but someone who is better equipped could do better, whilst still being worth 15-20 starts a season.

Last season he started 9 games and made 8 sub appearances.

So.what we are saying is we want a better striker to come in as first choice and then have a player of Maupay or Welbecks quality to be happy with the 'connolly role' with that amount of football.

It's not too much to ask is it.

Last edited:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I know someone who knows Connolly, and they said it's embarrassing to see him around women. It's all he thinks about, which is evident when watching him play because he's clearly not thinking about being a footballer.
Maybe instead of holding up arrows pointing at the goal, we should all hold up massive vaginas? Maybe then he'd try to score.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I have a weird feeling that if Connelly can get one then he will go on a decent scoring run. He gets into decent positions but just needs to get going. Already this season there have been a few occasions where I was frustrated that Maupay didn’t get across the defender as he should but I am sure Aaron makes that run…he just needs to finish one.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Praise be.

He does seem extremely one dimensional. He seems to offer drawing a defender and that’s about it. That gives rise to very low expectations about his brief appearances. However, perhaps it’s not entirely his fault as he is simply carrying out his very limiting instructions. For the good of his career he probably does need to go out on loan, even if it does leave us requiring an alternative short sprinter without touching the ball type player.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I know someone who knows Connolly, and they said it's embarrassing to see him around women. It's all he thinks about, which is evident when watching him play because he's clearly not thinking about being a footballer.
Maybe instead of holding up arrows pointing at the goal, we should all hold up massive vaginas? Maybe then he'd try to score.

21 with 20 bags a week in his back pocket. I think I’d be an embarrassment around women too! :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here