Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Congrats to Neal & Florin today!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes it was like for like but I don't think CH would have ever considered making a change like that at 1 nil up away from home with 25 minutes left.
That's because he's a different person, who does things differently

Almost deserves it’s own thread. Lovely piece of play that took out 3 defenders, and a great cross whipped in.
I'll add to the the little move by Montoya.
Initially running at the Watford player, then dropping back causing him to pretty much pass straight to Martin.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That's because he's a different person, who does things differently

I'll add to the the little move by Montoya.
Initially running at the Watford player, then dropping back causing him to pretty much pass straight to Martin.

You must have done a little excited wee in your shorts when the double substitution was made! :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You must have done a little excited wee in your shorts when the double substitution was made! :)

That's frowned upon, at work.

I was surprised and it certainly bodes well for the future.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That's frowned upon, at work.

I was surprised and it certainly bodes well for the future.

As on another thread I missed it being made, so simply assumed it was 2 separate subs - no one brings on 2 forwards when 1 up away from home with just over 25mins to play!!! Bring on a defender FFS!!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As on another thread I missed it being made, so simply assumed it was 2 separate subs - no one brings on 2 forwards when 1 up away from home with just over 25mins to play!!! Bring on a defender FFS!!!

Not just that but 2 strikers who'll both exploit the gaps that have to be left by a team 1 down at home.

I have no idea what to expect on Saturday.

Which is nice.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Not meaning to pick on AJ, but Maupay has contributed more in 10 minutes than AJ did in a whole season

True, but let’s face it the team is now set up for a more of an attacking game which will suit him.
With the exception of Murray we were a forwards graveyard last year. How much of a chance did either he or florin really get?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
1-0 up to last season’s FA Cup finalists and 11th placed team.

Two strikers subbed on as if we’re chasing a last minute desperate equaliser! Terrific tactics!

Well done indeed.

Away from home!!

Yep - both very well taken goals. I was listening to Albion Unlimited podcast yesterday morning and they had a Brentford fan on who said when Maupay is through one on one you know he'll score. He wasn't lying!

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Away from home!!

Yep - both very well taken goals. I was listening to Albion Unlimited podcast yesterday morning and they had a Brentford fan on who said when Maupay is through one on one you know he'll score. He wasn't lying!

May be the next Ian Wright.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I was so excited when GP brought these two on together, how good is it that we can bring on two players who are strong, fast, clinical and in the nicest possibly way - niggly, nasty bast**ds!

It's like having a couple of Rottweilers to set on some tired joggers.

My only instruction would be: TERRORIZE them!!!!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes it was like for like but I don't think CH would have ever considered making a change like that at 1 nil up away from home with 25 minutes left.
Yeah I don't know. Certainly I've always liked the idea of bringing on pace if you're lucky enough to be 1 up away from home, as the opponents are bound to push and give you opportunities to counter. I wouldn't have complained if he'd brought Andone on for Murray a but earlier, but maybe Potter felt Glenn had earned the right to have longer.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Well it wasn't a double attacking substitution. We put two forwards on, but we took 2 off (Locadia swapped between a forward left and a striker, and from what I saw Maupay was in a similar position).

This.

We just refreshed our front two, made no difference to our set up, no real risk. The pundits are calling it risky, brave etc, and Potter bought into that nicely with his 'lucky' comment on MOD interview. He's deffo read the script.

Me like. :albion2:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Hope Florin has ditched thug life and become the top striker he threatened to be last season.Great start to the season.Glenn who?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Away from home!!

First touch right foot, tap around the keeper right foot, slotted finish from narrow angle left foot. That was a quality goal.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Unreal start for us. Deadly finishing from our two subs, Florin's was just as good as Maupay's but the latter was made extra special by the genius pass from Dunk. To see Dunk pinging balls like that from the centre circle is just epic. Hail Pottertinio.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This.

We just refreshed our front two, made no difference to our set up, no real risk. The pundits are calling it risky, brave etc, and Potter bought into that nicely with his 'lucky' comment on MOD interview. He's deffo read the script.

Me like. :albion2:

Wasn’t he gracious and respectful too, when asked about starting without new signings, said how well the squad had done and mentioned the great work under ‘Chris’.

Now I don’t recall many new managers referencing their predecessor like that. Not only that, he’s transformed our formation and tactics, but he’s not calling it ‘his project’ or crap like that, it’s just working with players strengths. He’s clearly very intelligent, with great humility and a lot of drive. I’m all in.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wasn’t he gracious and respectful too, when asked about starting without new signings, said how well the squad had done and mentioned the great work under ‘Chris’.

Now I don’t recall many new managers referencing their predecessor like that. Not only that, he’s transformed our formation and tactics, but he’s not calling it ‘his project’ or crap like that, it’s just working with players strengths. He’s clearly very intelligent, with great humility and a lot of drive. I’m all in.

Yeah that was a nice touch re CH, he’s done it a few times now

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes

Me too.

MOD took the piss a bit with the emotional intelligence and ballet comment but that positive brain stuff works wonders on professional athletes.

Feels like we've got Yoda on the firm. :thumbsup:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
MOTD did a big feature on Spurs and the lack of move,net from their forwards making it easy to defend against them during the first half. It made me think it's not really about the formation but what your players are doing. Andone & Maupay will stretch defences and pull people around the pitch creating space for others and each other.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I liked the approach play of Propper laying on Andone's goal. He looked liked someone being told to play his natural game.
I'm sure there's more to it than just being told that. Whilst confessing that I'm no great tactician, it feels like the 3 central defenders gives us the defensive structure and stability which as well as allowing the wingbacks to push forward, also allows the likes of Propper to be more attack minded?

In our 4411, our full backs would go forward sometimes, and link up with our wingers, but when that happened there were only 2 in the box to aim for. Yesterday, with March and Montoya trying to get crosses in, there were the front 3 to look for, as well as Propper pushing up at times.

I'm just watching the sky highlights again (the 25 minute version). The first thing we see of Brighton with the Ball sees Dunk come out with the ball, and (unchallenged) he gets to the half way line and gives it to Burn who goes a bit further before chipping a ball to Murray whilst being challenged. Duffy appears to stop around the half way line. Murray and Locadia then compete for the ball on the left, with March just behind them. When it falls for March he crosses it towards Gross and Murray, and the defenders block it out to Brun who's just a few yards outside the box. He drills it into the box and Gross switches it to Montoya who's forward on the right.

That's quite a contrast from what we're used to. Perhaps the test (of this willingness to attack in numbers) will come when we're up against a team who counter quickly. Will we still be prepared to push so many forward, and if we do, how will we defend against the counter?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here