Confirmation Vicente has signed! [Season 1: 2011]

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
[MENTION=21268]Mestalla[/MENTION] Thanks for that :)

Very very excited!

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
1:04 Speculation: Skysports.com understands Brighton have pulled off a major coup by signing former Valencia winger Vicente.

f***. Me. Ragged.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Sounds like when we signed Frank Worthington, except this guy is younger. If he can still do "it" and can stay fit then we have indeed pulled off a coup. Exciting stuff.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I think I'll wake up from this dream soon and we'll still be playing at Withdean at the foot of league one!

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Hi. I'm new here. First of all, sorry for my bad English. I'm from Valencia and just wanted to inform us about him and about the rumours here. I heard about this in Spanish radio station Cadena Ser yesterday night and I thought it was legit because the journalist who said it is good friends with Vicente for many years (Pedro Morata. He writes for As newspaper too) and the information was first hand. If finally the signing is announced, I can give you all the info about him, since I have followed his career since he was 16. At that moment he was already one of the biggest prospects of Spanish football, playing for the U16 NT and with Real Madrid and Arsenal wanting to sign him (but he's a Valencia supporter since child and his dream was to play for them, so he rejected those offers back then).

He scored 18 goals 2004 season and more or less the same number of assists. He is mainly a vertical player, amazing crosses and dribbling. His pace may not be the same that was before his ankles surgery, but he can still be a very good player. The few games Emery let him play this season he did it very good.

At his best around 2004, not only he was better than present day Mata or Silva...he was at Cristiano Ronaldo level. He was one of the best players in the world; chosen best player in the Spanish Liga that season; he was the main reason Valencia won Liga, UEFA Cup and European Supercup that year; part of the starting XI in the Spanish NT (his debut was at 19 in March 2001 and won 39 cups in 4 years. Last time he was called up was in Nov 2005 at 24).

And you are right about him kicking out Mata of the starting XI when Unai Emery finally decided to play him the last 3 months of season 2009-10. The reason he haven't played more the past 3 seasons wasn't his injury problems, but his bad relationship with Coach Emery. In fact, last season he hasn't injury problems and he was available 90% of the season (only a minor microfibre strain in January and he recovered in 2 weeks). In season 2008-09 he played 45 games.

Not only Real Madrid, but Manchester United, Barça, Arsenal, Liverpool, Inter, Milan, Juve, etc All the big clubs in Europe wanted to sign him in 2000-2005. The 2 more interested were Manchester and Madrid, but he never wanted to leave Valencia. In the last 3 years he rejected offers from Liverpool, PSG, Schalke, Tottenham and a few Turkish and Russian clubs.

Bloody Hell, your English is better than 99% of the contributors on NSC

Keeno01

Aug 28, 2011
Lewes
Sky sports have just posted this on clockwatch as "SPECULATION"

"SKY SPORTS understands Brighton have pulled off a major coup by signing former Valencia winger Vicente"

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I must be the only miserable bastard not completely creaming himself at this.

Do we really need another winger ? Mores the point, do we need one who's career is littered with injuries ? He's not featured for Spain for 6 years, so there's clearly a reason for that. I'm sure the Vicente of 2005 was one hell of a player, but whats he been doing the last 2-3 years ? Even if he's on a free, he must be on a fair old whack salary-wise.

I'll trust Gus's judgement if this turns out to be true of course, he's so rarely wrong. But my hopes before 11pm are for a back-to-goal striker who can hold the ball up, and some cover for the fullbacks. Not a "name" winger who used to be brilliant.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Anyone got any ideas as who could be the other player from Spain as mentioned in Bozzas tweet a little earlier?

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I must be the only miserable bastard not completely creaming himself at this.

Do we really need another winger ? Mores the point, do we need one who's career is littered with injuries ? He's not featured for Spain for 6 years, so there's clearly a reason for that. I'm sure the Vicente of 2005 was one hell of a player, but whats he been doing the last 2-3 years ? Even if he's on a free, he must be on a fair old whack salary-wise.

I'll trust Gus's judgement if this turns out to be true of course, he's so rarely wrong. But my hopes before 11pm are for a back-to-goal striker who can hold the ball up, and some cover for the fullbacks. Not a "name" winger who used to be brilliant.

Your right, you are a miserable bastard. If this kind of player comes along, you HAVE to sign him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports