Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Concert Ticket Prices

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I have an issue with this "get me in" site, which seems to be an offshoot of the Ticketmaster thieves!

I have no evidence of this, but it appears that they buy up swathes of tickets at normal price and then they miraculously appear on " get me in" at three times the price.

Cants

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I have an issue with this "get me in" site, which seems to be an offshoot of the Ticketmaster thieves!

I have no evidence of this, but it appears that they buy up swathes of tickets at normal price and then they miraculously appear on " get me in" at three times the price.

Cants

Certainly seems to be what they do, we were logged on on 4 computers for System of a Down when they went on sale, OK, so they sold out very fast, within 5 minutes, and we didn't get any, but within moments of them "selling out" we got messages from ticketmaster pointing us to "get me in", where we could buy loads (I think it was in the hundreds) of tickets, in all seats and areas, for about 5-10 times the face value.

As you say, Cants.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Certainly seems to be what they do, we were logged on on 4 computers for System of a Down when they went on sale, OK, so they sold out very fast, within 5 minutes, and we didn't get any, but within moments of them "selling out" we got messages from ticketmaster pointing us to "get me in", where we could buy loads (I think it was in the hundreds) of tickets, in all seats and areas, for about 5-10 times the face value.

As you say, Cants.

Need reporting to the Office Of Fair Trading shirley? Break up their cosy little arrangement.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Saw 2:54 at Dingwalls in Camden in February 2015. Ticket was £10, and I met the sisters after the gig, had a beer with them and they signed my t-shirt. Awesome night, and excellent value for money. Oh and I was3 off the front row.

You're being played for mugs for anything over £50 for an A-lister.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

As you say, Cants.

I prefer to use the venue website if possible rather than the agencies as they seem to play with their 'allocations'. Fortunately for the SOAD show axs.com which handles the O2 and wembley came up trumps! Got my Kate Bush tickets from the Apollo direct, and Replacements from the Roundhouse all with greater ease than people using See or Ticketmaster.

I hate those tout sites, they totally distort the market.

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
It's all about perceived value when it comes to buying concert tickets.

A couple of years ago Guns 'N' Roses were passing through Toronto and wanted $125 a ticket + booking fee, etc for a show. At the time it was Axl Rose and a number of musicians I hadn't heard of, so I passed. Had it been the original band (Axl, Slash, Izzy Stradlin, Duff McKagan and Steven Adler) that recored Appetite for Destruction and Using Your Illusion (1 & 2), I'd have bought a ticket without hesitation.

I'm currently debating whether to buy AC/DC tickets when they pass through in September. $140 a ticket (inc. booking fee). The venue is outside in a huge park just north of downtown, on a Thursday evening, so the weather is a factor as well as transport. Had they played at the ACC (Air Canada Centre) which is indoors and way more convenient transport wise, I'd have purchased.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton

Cants

I mentioned before how ticketmaster, for some shows in Brighton, had sold the worst seats first. When I went online all the best seats, front row stalls, were available but back rows sold out. My impression is that when tickets went on sale Ticketmaster put the back seats up and when asking for 'best seats' that's what you are given.

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
I still pay under 30 quid for most gigs, even in venues like Brixton Academy. But then most of them are metal gigs and nowhere near selling out.

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
I'm seeing Paul McCartney and Fleetwood Mac at the O2 in May...both very pricey but hopefully worth it!

This is the answer, because we all buy tickets for football matches, big gigs, comedy shows etc. is the reason, they are all too expensive but until
comes a time when all people say enough is enough nothing will happen.
I'm off to see Paul Weller at Brighton centre, the Who in Hyde park & few other gigs this year & they are all so expensive, also for artists record sales are nothing to what they were in the
70,s/80's/90's so playing live is the way they get to keep their mansion's & make millions in one tour.:bhasign:

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
The Led Zepp 02 concert a few years back, when 20 million people applied, I spend a few hours on Ebay the night before and gave my self a limit of £600, I then bided £625 with 30 seconds to go and it then went for £6900 ???, a bit out of my league. That is the most I have seen paid for a single concert/event.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
And there's the answer to the question in the OP

As long as people pay the prices, that's what tickets will be sold at. Simple supply and demand.

I wouldn't usually pay that much but not much I can do - I've wanted to see both for so long now and feel like time is probably running out! I don't want to be listening to a Fleetwood Mac album in several years time and regret not seeing them when I had the chance, purely because I thought the ticket was too expensive.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
The Led Zepp 02 concert a few years back, when 20 million people applied, I spend a few hours on Ebay the night before and gave my self a limit of £600, I then bided £625 with 30 seconds to go and it then went for £6900 ???, a bit out of my league. That is the most I have seen paid for a single concert/event.

I bagged a ticket for £450 on Ebay but didn't wait until the last moment. Certainly the most I have paid for a ticket!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

That's a shame, one went on NSC auction for £400 if memory serves.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I wouldn't usually pay that much but not much I can do - I've wanted to see both for so long now and feel like time is probably running out! I don't want to be listening to a Fleetwood Mac album in several years time and regret not seeing them when I had the chance, purely because I thought the ticket was too expensive.

Fully understand - and I have paid silly prices for Springsteen tickets in the past.

I'm just making the point that as long as us punters pay the prices, the promoters will continue to rip us off.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
And there's the answer to the question in the OP

As long as people pay the prices, that's what tickets will be sold at. Simple supply and demand.

Exactly. It's the same as the people moaning about the price of Arsenal tickets at the Amex. They sold out so there was nothing wrong with the pricing. Personally, I wouldn't see Paul McCartney or Fleetwood Mac if they were playing in The Hiker's Rest for a fiver - but thousands of people would ... and the tickets are priced accordingly

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
double post

Last edited:

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
When the £ choice is seeing superstar 1 at a souless big venue vs seeing multiple smaller acts at local venues it's a no brainer for me.

I do tend to drink more ale that way mind you...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here