Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Completely RANDOM things about Brighton & Hove...

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
In no particular order:

The Top Rank Suite
The Orange Timepiece
BooBoo's
Sherrys
Hennekys

I used to work in the Suite in 1972. I was a glass-collector and didn't have much to do when Slade and Rod Stewart were there in concert. I as moved to the Orange Timepiece cloakroom but it was always empty. Hated Sherry's. Always too full! Was in Hennekys with father-in-law in the late 70s. At that time, it had a gas fire which looked like a log fire, and he kept flicking his fag-ash into it!

It was where Trafalgar Place is now, it used to be the parcels depot in the lower goods yard for Brighton station.

After that was pulled down, Comet moved to what is now the Clarendon Centre, a happy clappy new wave 'church' in New England Street.

Bought my first "stereo" here in 1979, an ITT 5042 music centre (remember "music centres"). Bought my first LP in either WH Smiths or Boots in Western Road the same day - "War of the Worlds" by Jeff Wayne.

I have asked this question before but what was the name of the shop in the old Churchill Square (believe it later became HMV) that sold records downstairs and toys/models upstairs?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
From the top of the race hill, on a clear day, you can see the Jesus statue in rio de jeniro

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
From the top of the race hill, on a clear day, you can see the Jesus statue in rio de jeniro

Don't look into the light Dave. Get the Doctor to reduce your medication. ???

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The bridge over Hartington Road should have been listed, though - the brickwork on that arch was incredible - all sort of diagonal, and an absolute monument to craftsmen's genius!

D

Deleted User X18H

whats that club/restaurant, all on its on, on side of the prom on hove lawns (near king alfred?)

It reopened as the 0273 Bar in 1995 then became The Island and is now The Babylon Lounge I had a flat in an old school building opposite on The Kingsway for five or so years. Which I sold incidentally for an astrinomical profit.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
How about the Light Blue Petrol staion in Hangleton. They used to fill comes up via a hose which went over the pavement, people were walking under this rubber hose with a ciggie in their mouths!!!!

AAAHHHH!! The world before Health and Safety...

For the record and to the best of my knowledge no one ever caught alight!!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
How about the Light Blue Petrol staion in Hangleton. They used to fill comes up via a hose which went over the pavement, people were walking under this rubber hose with a ciggie in their mouths!!!!

AAAHHHH!! The world before Health and Safety...

For the record and to the best of my knowledge no one ever caught alight!!

Wouldn't have cost much if they did, with petrol at 4/6d a gallon.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
the carpet shop by Brighton station that had carpets on the window on a revolving display.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here