Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Completely RANDOM things about Brighton & Hove...

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Cox's Pill Factory, you say...?

vdct-abruptend2.jpg

oldlewesvdct3.jpg

My bedroom used to look over Cox's.

Remember the glass-blower man on Queens Road.

Anyone remember Mr K's, where the Gloucester is now?

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
The demolition of the Brighton B Power Station...

PowerSt2.JPG

... strangely, I couldn't find a picture of the actual demolition though.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Saturday Night Dances at the Regent with the Syd Dean Band. Also available were Saturday Night dances at the Aquarium and King Alfred but not a patch on the Regent.
The Odeon and Academy cinemas in West Street, plus the Savoy at Pool Valley. Sports Stadium in West street. Another couple of places to meet girls were the Court and Victor Sylvestor Schools of Dancing. Ten pin bowling at the old Odeon at Hove Station. O'Hagan Hot Dogs on the sea front. Southdown Buses, the Brighton Belle and the Welsh Rarebit they served washed down with Tuborg Lager, absolutely decadent!
I could go on.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Anyone remember the Starlight Rooms at the bottom of Montpelier Road, in the late 60s?

Tiny stage to your right as you went in, with a 3 or 4 piece band playing Atlantic/ Stax covers.

Aaaarrrggghh...I`m getting old!

Thanks-I was trying to remember its name. What was the other place called? Next door I think?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
'Spirit of Brighton' it was called.

Lewes Road Viaduct

eastern-pier-of-lewes-road-arch_2.jpg
Where is/was that toilet? On the Vogue side of Lewes Road or the cemetary side? Great pic anyway.

While on the subject, the large and elaborate Victorian Brightonian toilets that have, I think, pretty much all gone: the big ones underneath the Clock Tower, some very grand old ones down on the seafront down by the Volks tavern, the impressive (if by smell alone) ones under the station - all big well-designed spaces and decent pieces of architecture that presumably survive intact if closed - as does the station entrance down into Trafalgar Street, that should be opened again...*waits for NSC railwayworkers contigent to give 10 reasons why not as usual*.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Where is/was that toilet? On the Vogue side of Lewes Road or the cemetary side? Great pic anyway.

The cemetery side.

While on the subject, the large and elaborate Victorian Brightonian toilets that have, I think, pretty much all gone: the big ones underneath the Clock Tower, some very grand old ones down on the seafront down by the Volks tavern, the impressive (if by smell alone) ones under the station - all big well-designed spaces and decent pieces of architecture that presumably survive intact if closed - as does the station entrance down into Trafalgar Street, that should be opened again...*waits for NSC railwayworkers contigent to give 10 reasons why not as usual*.

There are plans to reopen the Trafalgar Street entrance. IIRC, the plans will include some space for some independent trading outlets (eg people selling expensive tat). The Argus had something about this last year but I can't be arsed to look for it.

The paucity of toilets in B&H is worthy of a thread in its own right. At least two (the Level and Old Steine) have been turned into cafes and loads have disappeared completely. I'd hate to do a post-session walk home from town these days

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Wasnt it David Rose?

and i thought he Died thats why the shop shut.

Another blast from the past, David Rose's Constant 10% Off Offer. Everything was always 10% off if you could prove you played for a mini minor league club, your birthday fell on a Tuesday that year, or you had a tortoise called George etc etc.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
SS Brighton, the home of,
Brighton Tigers Ice Hockey team
Tom Arnolds Ice shows and Pantomimes,
Wrestling,

I Learnt to skate here in 1963.

ss_brighton_conservative_conference_ts.jpg

And back in the early 70's we always used to end a night out with a
O'Hagans Hotdog.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There were loos at the bottom of Elm Grove (now a florist) ...

Indeed. My walk from town back to Moulsecoomb had waste dispersal options in New Road/Steine/Clock Tower, the Level, Elm Grove and the Arches (plus the one up Hollingdean Road) - the last mile or so could be a bit hard on the bladder though.

BTW, anyone remember the dairy at the bottom of Elm Grove - opposite said toilets? Seems like another era now

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Indeed. My walk from town back to Moulsecoomb had waste dispersal options in New Road/Steine/Clock Tower, the Level, Elm Grove and the Arches (plus the one up Hollingdean Road) - the last mile or so could be a bit hard on the bladder though.

How about the ones halfway up Bear Rd that are now small houses?

Were the Hollingdean Rd ones just before the bridge?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Good one. I drive up there a lot - I'll have to see if its still there!

Its barely legible, if at all now, it was on the left hand side as you go up the hill in white paint. It was there for years and years and only recently treated.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
Another blast from the past, David Rose's Constant 10% Off Offer. Everything was always 10% off if you could prove you played for a mini minor league club, your birthday fell on a Tuesday that year, or you had a tortoise called George etc etc.

I got my Duncan Fearnley cricket bat from there. The band wrapped around it with "all DF bats now in stock" gave it a sunburn type effect whilst it languished in the shop window, hence it was reduced from £18 to £12. Embarrassingly it still has my name etched on the back of the blade (Thanks Dad)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
on the subject of graffiti on bridges, does anyone remember the one on the railway bridge just before Coulsden that said " turn back Brighton or Die"

:lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here