Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Commuting by car advice

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Better 2 hours each way on the train, relaxing, sleeping, catching up with films / TV on your iPad, or surfing the net, than what will ultimately end up being 2 hours each way sat in traffic, wearing yourself out, and getting stressed at delays, speed traps, near-misses, tail-gaters, doddery old fools, tractors and general tosspots on the roads.

This, surely

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Better 2 hours each way on the train, relaxing, sleeping, catching up with films / TV on your iPad, or surfing the net, than what will ultimately end up being 2 hours each way sat in traffic, wearing yourself out, and getting stressed at delays, speed traps, near-misses, tail-gaters, doddery old fools, tractors and general tosspots on the roads.

I love your idealistic view of the train commute, for balance I think you need to add "getting wound up by stray elbows, loud headphones, phone conversations, snoring, unnecessary announcements and delays due to incompetence". Obviously that list is not exhaustive.

As you say though, a 2 hour traffic jam twice a day would be HELL and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. I've got a 30 minute drive each way which is a lot better than my 1h15 train commute to London but I wouldn't want to drive much further, other motorists are even more annoying than other train passengers.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I love your idealistic view of the train commute, for balance I think you need to add "getting wound up by stray elbows, loud headphones, phone conversations, snoring, unnecessary announcements and delays due to incompetence". Obviously that list is not exhaustive.

As you say though, a 2 hour traffic jam twice a day would be HELL and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. I've got a 30 minute drive each way which is a lot better than my 1h15 train commute to London but I wouldn't want to drive much further, other motorists are even more annoying than other train passengers.

I would add being ill all the time. When I commuted by train (and only from Brighton to Haywards Heath) I just constantly caught colds. There are too many sick people on trains!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I would add being ill all the time. When I commuted by train (and only from Brighton to Haywards Heath) I just constantly caught colds. There are too many sick people on trains!

Good point, you get those days where all you can hear is people coughing and sneezing and you know you're going to be getting a cold a few days later. On a similar note the woman who sits at the desk opposite me got told to go home early yesterday because she sounded like death, she's come back in this morning sounding exactly the same :rant:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

In truth I go everywhere in my lovely car. Its my lovely oasis of personal space, with its lovely heated seats, and its lovely sound system crammed with 100+ albums of lovely music. I bloody hate public transport and the ignorant selfish people who decent folk are forced to share it with.

But I still stand by what I wrote - my 'commute' is 30 minutes each way, INCLUDING the 20 I spend drinking latte in waitrose coffee shop - I could not stomach a twice-daily drive of the like the OP is considering.

Good point, you get those days where all you can hear is people coughing and sneezing and you know you're going to be getting a cold a few days later. On a similar note the woman who sits at the desk opposite me got told to go home early yesterday because she sounded like death, she's come back in this morning sounding exactly the same :rant:

Fat bitch. She is FAT, right? I think you need to ressurect the 'bell cheeses at work' thread...

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
This, surely

It's not always that simple, my boy commutes to Southampton from Brighton each day, we live on the outskirts so it's a 40 min bus journey to the station or £10 per day parking and from Southampton Station which I believe there are no direct trains between the two? It's another 20 min walk so without the actual train journey which I guess at 2 hours is a 3 hours round trip with no waiting time allowed for, driving is max 2 hours each way.
A lot of you guys have very rose tinted views of the railways.

tommynockers

Dec 6, 2013
I've been offered a 9 month fixed term contract role; the downside is that it involves a 120-140 (route dependent) mile round trip each day from Hove and rail isn't a practical option and would take well over 2 hours each way. My question to the knowledge bank that is NSC is what is the best commuting car type?

My current old car won't take that usage over a prolonged period so I'll need to buy another used car. Petrol or Diesel (I know MPG is far better by diesel but servicing and tax are greater)? Old low mileage or new high mileage etc?

Any, sensible, advice appreciated. Naturally, in the current climate I'll avoid anything Finnish!

Up the Albion.

Golf mk4 the1.9tdi. 110bhp engine. Very reliable engine. only the 110 engine though. Get good one for £2000. Will go on forever with regular (10000mile) high quality 5 30 fully synthetic oil changes. You will get about 60mpg driving sensibly.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's not always that simple, my boy commutes to Southampton from Brighton each day, we live on the outskirts so it's a 40 min bus journey to the station or £10 per day parking and from Southampton Station which I believe there are no direct trains between the two? It's another 20 min walk so without the actual train journey which I guess at 2 hours is a 3 hours round trip with no waiting time allowed for, driving is max 2 hours each way.
A lot of you guys have very rose tinted views of the railways.

Drive to Hove. Park up for free within 10 mins walk of station. Direct trains from Hove to Southampton. Whereabouts does he need to get to at the Southampton end?

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
I've done Worthing to Southamptonby car for last 3 yrs (100 mile round trip). got myself a little Smart car to commute in. Not too bad 60 mpg. Gets blown around a bit in winter, but love it!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
That's where I meant. All around he park.

Fair enough if he's coming from East Brighton, it's not so easy though.

Surely even if he is coming from east of Brighton it is easier driving to Hove, parking a stones throw from the station, and catching a direct train, than driving to Brighton, buggering about finding parking, and then having to change trains just a few minutes after getting on the first one?

Then again, l'm just a country bumpkin, we don't have trains up hers, so what do l know?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Surely even if he is coming from east of Brighton it is easier driving to Hove, parking a stones throw from the station, and catching a direct train, than driving to Brighton, buggering about finding parking, and then having to change trains just a few minutes after getting on the first one?

Then again, l'm just a country bumpkin, we don't have trains up hers, so what do l know?

He doesn't do that though. The hassles of 'having to' do that, was the justification for driving all the way to Southampton.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
He doesn't do that though. The hassles of 'having to' do that, was the justification for driving all the way to Southampton.

And cost, It cost him £16 per day in fuel, He would rather not drive but there is no real alternative. Leaves at 5 in the morning and get home at 9 in the evening. He can't get a room for that money hence the commute, what would a train ticket from Hove to Southampton at peak times.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And cost, It cost him £16 per day in fuel, He would rather not drive but there is no real alternative. Leaves at 5 in the morning and get home at 9 in the evening. He can't get a room for that money hence the commute, what would a train ticket from Hove to Southampton at peak times.

Fair play to him. I wouldn't / couldn't do it. Its great he loves the job, but I'd consider moving nearer, then. What kind of LIFE is that?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Fair play to him. I wouldn't / couldn't do it. Its great he loves the job, but I'd consider moving nearer, then. What kind of LIFE is that?

Agreed, He's 22 and a university graduate at the start of his career. He is hopefully making a good platform for a long and fruitful working life, he realises the sacrifice he currently making that will hold him in good stead for the future. He's not planning to do it for more that a couple of years.
I'm proud of him for undertaking it which shows a good work ethic. rather than just sit back waiting for a job closer to home.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I'm going to attempt the commute to Hanworth by train tomorrow. The journey via the M25 is really getting to me, so just fancy the change.

I can travel after the morning rush, so can get a cheap day return.

Basically, its 2 trains and a walk, or 2 train and a bus. Though I could hire a fold up bike from Three Bridges for the day :)

At least I can have a pint on the way home, too :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here