Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Common sayings people get wrong

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
While I'm not sure its 100% accurate to this thread, the American habit of saying "I could care less" when they mean "I couldn't care less" annoys me more than it should do.
I disagree. I'd say it probably annoys you about the right amount.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
While I'm not sure its 100% accurate to this thread, the American habit of saying "I could care less" when they mean "I couldn't care less" annoys me more than it should do.
That drives me nuts!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Not sayings but words.

It's Scapegoat not Scrapegoat or Escapegoat (as I heard a chap once say) :lolol:

It's Tenterhooks not Tenderhooks.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
"cheap at half the price". erm, dont be daft, that means its expensive. you mean "cheap at twice the price". the former may be allowed to market stall holder trying to make a sly, comical point, knowing their wares are tat.

also people dont technically get it wrong, but it make no sense what so ever, "have your cake and eat it". its cake. its purpose is to be eaten. why would i want to have it otherwise.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I notice that one the other way round as well.

That one should be 'for the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil'. So interestingly, you have also quoted it incorrectly! [emoji12]

It might depend on what translation you use...........

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
I have a colleague who deals with Pacifics instead of specifics.
May I say the two are oceans apart.

I'll get my coat.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
The one that really annoys me is " Sets a dangerous president"

By the way have I missed something ? Is it not
dull as dishwater?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
There's a word for this sort of thing, which my wife and i cane across years ago:

Catachresis (from Greek κατάχρησις, "abuse"), originally meaning a semantic misuse or error—e.g., using "militate" for "mitigate", "chronic" for "severe", "anachronism" for "anomaly", "alibi" for "excuse", etc.—is also the name given to many different types of figure of speech in which a word or phrase is being applied ...

A friend of ours - a teacher - was particularly prone to these, and the worst at one point was when she was talking about a boy at school who had outwitted her in some way and she used the expression "worked a flanker on me". But she used a word that rhymes with flanker but begins with a "W". I guess it would be asterisked if I typed it.

Collingburnian

May 13, 2016
Shoreham by Sea
As well as catachresis, these mishearings are also known as Mondegreens. I have a book called that, which is full of the sort of examples quoted in this thread. It's called "Mondegreens, A Book Of Mishearings" It's a fun read, if you like that sort of thing - I do

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Another weird one is the way some people pronounce 'ask' as 'axe'.

"Why are you axing me - I don't know the answer. Shall I go and axe my mum?" Weird, just weird............................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here