Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Commentary: BBC v Sky

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
When watching Sky I wait until the ref blows the whistle to start the game and immediately pause the picture and turn the TV volume down.
Then I listen to Radio 5 Live commentary on my laptop which is usually about 30 seconds behind.
I unpause the picture the moment I hear the ref blow the whistle to start the game. The TV picture and radio commentary are then nicely synced

It works a treat and you get the updates from other events during the match whilst still watching our game.

Genius, may do this with JC and Warren next time we're on Sky. Sick to death of Alan Smith and co's uninspired commentary.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
The only commentator I really struggle with is McManaman. In particular when he is commentating on Liverpool. Ridiculously bias and grates on me.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
On the subject of commentators, for those that ever listen to football commentaries on 5 Live, that Geordie bloke John Murray really pisses me off.

He commentates like he's never seen football match before and goes to Defcom 4 everytime the ball goes anywhere near the penalty box - and if anyone actually looks like they are about to take a shot he completely pisses his pants.

"Mane to Salah... back to Mane... MANE'S IN THE BOX! BACK TO SALAH... SALAH SHOOTS! Oh, it hits the corner flag. It remains... nil nil....decent game so far."

Not as bad as Peter Drury I hope, the way he eulogises over any attack by Man City for example is embarassing. Tone it down man.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
BT worst for me with Fletch and Macca and Sav and all their bantzy nicknames. Not to mention the tool of an ex ref in the studio.

East London Exile

Jan 13, 2013
London
It isn't just about the commentary though.
A
I am so frustrated with the Directors cut and SKy are the WORST offenders. Okay if there is really nothing else going on, give us a close up of the bloke who didn't make the squad sitting in the stand looking glum, or the facial expressions of the bloke who just hoofed one into Row Z from 5 yards out, but when the ball is in play I want to watch the sodding football you morons.

They also put up the graphics of the upcoming televised games, then, when the play moves behind it, you have to guess what is happening as they drone on about the forthcoming games and don’t give any commentary on the game in progress.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
On the subject of commentators, for those that ever listen to football commentaries on 5 Live, that Geordie bloke John Murray really pisses me off.

He commentates like he's never seen football match before and goes to Defcom 4 everytime the ball goes anywhere near the penalty box - and if anyone actually looks like they are about to take a shot he completely pisses his pants.

"Mane to Salah... back to Mane... MANE'S IN THE BOX! BACK TO SALAH... SALAH SHOOTS! Oh, it hits the corner flag. It remains... nil nil....decent game so far."

In fairness, he is the antithesis of Alan Green. The sort of bloke who'd moan on a free trip to Barbados that it was too hot, its the wrong type of sand and the free beer on tap isn't strong enough. A delight not to have to hear his droning on anymore.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
In fairness, he is the antithesis of Alan Green. The sort of bloke who'd moan on a free trip to Barbados that it was too hot, its the wrong type of sand and the free beer on tap isn't strong enough. A delight not to have to hear his droning on anymore.

Didn't mind Green. Was a bit of a laughable curmudgeon. But I can see what you mean.

John Murray's purr is exactly what you want from a commentator if you're a Barry Davies fan/not a lad in a pub on a Sunday afternoon four pints in and seeking shouting loud enough to overwhelm the background noise. Don't mind him breaking that up with a bit of over-exaggeration when something happens.

Give BT a fair bit of slack because their films are unfailingly excellent - many of them lower league based - and a lot of their shows have journalistic integrity (or at least elements of it): Score, that Europa League daily show they did, the European football show/Champions League round-up etc. The German/French/non-league stuff is often genuinely great.

Maybe the only thing you can give Sky is slickness. But maybe I'm confusing that with decades of familiarity. They have commentators capable of making the smallest/drabbest of matches sound like the World Cup final - such as our play-off matches, which I'll be forever grateful for, and the games at Wembley over the weekend - but keep them to those non-Prem matches. Probably because that's where the skill is required.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
When watching Sky I wait until the ref blows the whistle to start the game and immediately pause the picture and turn the TV volume down.
Then I listen to Radio 5 Live commentary on my laptop which is usually about 30 seconds behind.
I unpause the picture the moment I hear the ref blow the whistle to start the game. The TV picture and radio commentary are then nicely synced

It works a treat and you get the updates from other events during the match whilst still watching our game.

Top tip, but not for the same reasons.

On match days we have a group chat on messenger among our group that normally go to games together. But I'm the only one with Sky/BT so the rest are usually up to 1 minute behind me so I end up ruining it for them messaging things like "get the **** in" or "**** it" according to what has just happened. If I take your pause tip, I can be in sync with the others :thumbsup:

Genius, may do this with JC and Warren next time we're on Sky. Sick to death of Alan Smith and co's uninspired commentary.

Only problem you may find is that the radio commentary will be ahead of Sky (unless you are streaming the commentary from Seagulls Player – is that still a thing?). And BBC Sussex on BBC Sounds App doesn't let you stream match commentary.

I have an old Pure Digital Radio with a pause button, that used to do the job if I was watching an away match on a foreign stream and wanted the commentary in sync with the stream.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Only problem you may find is that the radio commentary will be ahead of Sky (unless you are streaming the commentary from Seagulls Player – is that still a thing?). And BBC Sussex on BBC Sounds App doesn't let you stream match commentary.

I have an old Pure Digital Radio with a pause button, that used to do the job if I was watching an away match on a foreign stream and wanted the commentary in sync with the stream.

You're right, the FM is basically without delay as I sit at our home games with one ear in. Sky over the dish will have around a 5 second delay I imagine and more for streaming on the Sky app.

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
The only commentator I really struggle with is McManaman. In particular when he is commentating on Liverpool. Ridiculously bias and grates on me.

You mean the staunch red scouser who ran his contract down and got a free to a big earner at Real Madrid.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Cricket commentary on Sky is usually okay, except when there at home commentating off the same pictures as I am...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here