Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Comedy WARS: The Office vs. I'm Alan Partridge

Which is better?

• The Office - Brent, Keenan & co. all the way

Votes: 105 47.7%
  • Alan Partridge - I'm not talking small Toblerones, these were MEDIUM-SIZED Toblerones!

Votes: 115 52.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It was always going to be tight as it is a quality contest.

I'm looking forward to Crodo's equivalent: Birds of a Feather v Open All Hours

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Tough one, both excellent...............but will go for Partridge as I can watch the repeats over and over again.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've gone for the Office as I once worked for someone who was just like Brent ("I'm not just your boss, I'm also a friend and confidante")

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It was always going to be tight as it is a quality contest.

I'm looking forward to Crodo's equivalent: Birds of a Feather v Open All Hours

Or Mellotron's next effort - Men behaving badly v The young ones :facepalm:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Struggling to think of any decent comedy coming out of Australia. Kath and Kim was nothing short of woeful, and that was very successful in Oz

There's been plenty of funny shows come out over the years. Doesn't mean they'd be funny to you though as a lot of it is culture based. Kath and Kim is a very culture based comedy, taking the piss out of bogans.

Chris Lilley's shows are funny. Even some of those characters though would only appeal to an Aussie audience because they get that in joke.

We've plenty enough great stand up comedians to show we occasionbally have a sense of humour :wink:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Will look them up. I was always amazed at how bad Australian standups were when I lived in Sydney. Some were just plain racist

Greg fleet did a show about his heroin addiction called something like 10 years in a long sleeve t shirt, it is on you tube somewhere.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Jeesus this should be the final not a preliminary round!
I think The Office just shades it. Just. And I feel dirty having to make the choice. I think there are more laugh out loud moments that I can recall specifically right now in The Office which is why I've gone for it.
For me it's "He's thrown a kettle over a pub. What have you done?" versus "'Sunday Bloody Sunday'. What a great song. It really encapsulates the frustration of a Sunday, doesn't it? You wake up in the morning, you've got to read all the Sunday papers, the kids are running round, you've got to mow the lawn, wash the car, and you think "Sunday, bloody Sunday!".

So many amazing partridge quotes but this is one of my favs

Right, I'll tell you an anecdote. In 1974 I was catching the London train from Crewe station. It was very crowded; I found myself in a last-minute rush for the one remaining seat beside a tall, good-looking man with collar-length hair, it was the seventies; buckaroo!
I looked up and saw it was none other than Peter Purves, it was the height of his Blue Peter career. He said, "You jammy *******" and quick as a flash, I replied, "Don't be blue, Peter!" Needless to say, I had the last laugh, now **** off!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
CRUEL making us choose between them! Where's the 'Fence' option? If this is a 'Deadliest Creature' style knock-out tournament then these two should be SEEDED all the way to at least the semi-finals shirley? ???

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
People are different. What do you enjoy?

I think of the top of my head that Eddie Izzard is about the only comedian I have laughed out loud at in this century. There must be others, but they don't spring to mind. Funny TV series? You have to go back to the old classics, Only Fools and Horses, Fawlty Towers, Reggie Perrin and a few others. Life of Brian probably the best comedy film ever made.
Probably an age thing and connected to the things in life you have to compare the humour to. I've never worked in an office and have always had a desire to keep well away from. The office people I know, and have a knowledge of, leads me to think that both the series to vote on are very close to real life, which probably makes them hilarious if you are familiar with that type of thing.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Dave Hughes, Will Anderson, the chap with the false leg (not Rolf Harris) and Greg fleet off the top of my head.

Tim Minchen, Carl Barron, Anh Doh, Akmal Saleh. That's what's good about our humour, a lot of it comes from the newly arrived immigrants and their blending of Australian culture into their own.

Anh Do is wonderful at this.

Plenty of wogs have made a good career out of it.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Can't vote on Tapatalk, which is no bad thing as I can't decide between them.
The only comedy that I'd add to these two as being in the same class is Green Wing.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Good call with Minchen and Doh (his book is amazing, have you read it?) The other two don't really do it for me though.

Yeah loved his book. Amazing story.

He spoke about it with Adam Hills when the book was released.

Barron is Steven Wright like. It's the type of humour that appeals to some and not to others.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I can't vote on this - it's too close. I prefer I'm Alan Partridge to the other Partridge stuff and I'm afraid I could probably quote half the series I've watched it so much. So many classic scenes - Jed's house ("You're a mentalist!"), BBC canteen with Tony Hayers ("Smell my cheese!"), the big plate, etc etc. But then, I loved The Office too - so many hilarious bits. Still laugh at the dance, even though everyone's seen it millions of times ("I prefer flan."), throwing a boot over a pub, Finchy, Brent staring at the camera whilst being given a massage by Gareth....

If we had a comedy competition, this would be the final if it was up to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here