Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
fantastic stuff

COME ON TIM

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It makes me laugh all this " Tim is shit" bollocks....

He is playing a former world No 1, who got to the quarters of the French Open a couple of weeks ago and is ranked 26 in the world. The way he played last night was nothing short of brilliant

Some people are only happy when our sporting people fail!!!!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I watched the fifth set last night and it was quality entertainment.

Despite popular opinion, Henman does have BALLS.

I've seen him hand back the initiative so many times to Moya, when he should have finished points off. He's a lightweight player, and find that resting any hope on him coming good as our 'British representative' would be both futile
and frustrating. Anyway, tennis is not really an nation represented, unless it's in the Davis Cup. Thus, with Henman playing for prize money, just on home soil, I'd rather see the best players progress and new hopefuls show their stuff.

It's too late for Henman to learn NOT to keep returning a ball to a stranded opposing player when he is at the net with a whole court to aim at, or to make sure a short dink over the net doesn't bounce comfortably for the opponent to easily get to. When asked to play a shot wide of an approaching opponent, he wastes the thing way wide of the lines.

He was a reasonable player who got as much as possible out of the game with his level of talent,

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
...... I'd rather see the best players progress and new hopefuls show their stuff.

It's too late for Henman to learn NOT to keep returning a ball to a stranded opposing player when he is at the net with a whole court to aim at, or to make sure a short dink over the net doesn't bounce comfortably for the opponent to easily get to. When asked to play a shot wide of an approaching opponent, he wastes the thing way wide of the lines.

He was a reasonable player who got as much as possible out of the game with his level of talent,

Alot of tennis players make unforced errors, unless you are in the same class as Federer.

Four quarter-finals and four semi-finals in the last 11 years would suggest that he is one of the best grass court players and certainly a lot better than reasonable.

You are being exceedingly harsh on one of the most consistent performers at Wimbledon.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
i've supported HENman every damn year and tried to be positive about his prospects but you've got to face up to it that he's not good enough to win Wimbledon especially now that he is 32 and Federer is alive.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I read an interesting article on the weekend about what has happened to Tim's game - the article is here in the guardian...

Why Henman has always fallen short

I think the most interesting part of the article was quite evident in Tims game last night, and that was the fact that when he changed coaches to Larry Stefanki in 2001, he stopped him playing his serve, chase in and volley game, and made him serve and slog it out with the base line bangers, which is completely against Tim's strengths. Last night was a prime example...

I reckon he can get Moya - but only if he doesn't stand on the baseline and slog it out...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Much as I'd love to see Timmy finish the job when he comes on court, I have a feeling he's going to be on for about 10 minutes having lost 8 out of 9 points played. :(

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Much as I'd love to see Timmy finish the job when he comes on court, I have a feeling he's going to be on for about 10 minutes having lost 8 out of 9 points played. :(

Sadly I think you are right, cue gloating.

I wish Andrew Castle was still our top tennis player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports