Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Come on guys, Surely it's a striker that we need!,

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
This requires at least one quick defender (in case we lose the ball and all our players are too far forward). And it needs a defensive midfielder, Crofts (31 yo) if fit.

Block defending with 4-4-2 requires the wingers to defend as well and not lose the ball so much. The current idea seems to be get the ball forward more quickly which means we lost it more often. It is not as though we create any more chances.

If we get the lead I would like to see us keeping the ball a bit more.

Personally I think Ridgewell will offer this defensively - he seemed fast at WBA - and Kayal firing on all cylinders is more than able to do all three midfield jobs simultaneously but he's gone slightly off the boil.

Agree, never understand when you defend a corner that you don't leave someone with pace on the halfway line. The opposition will then have to keep 2 men back, and gives you a chance of a quick break

At a corner we generally do keep one up..not TH as he is pretty useful defending (probably better than attacking currently)..although I did notice late on that no one was quite sure who should stay up ..Elvis thought it was him but the bench pointed at Wilson.

The bench were so animated that it had to be Wilson.

I do agree with the whole defend in their half policy but I really don't think a lack of that mantra has been coming from CH - he seems as frustrated as us when we don't do this - and he commented during the unbeaten run that he felt the players had switched unknowingly into a more defensive pattern.

Hopefully a team with KLL, Baldock, and Ridgewell/Towells fresh ideas will change this.

Can't wait for the second half of the season.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Thank goodness your job description presumably doesn't include the words 'risk management'. Eggs in one basket ring a bell?

Actually, that was one of my responsibilities in my last job.

So, you think we shouldn't sign a striker capable of getting us to the Prem because he MAY get injured!? That is utter, utter bollox. Sorry.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Think anybody with an IQ higher than their shoe size would have seen long before now now that our drop off in results is directly due to our increase in long term injuries.

... really!? Wow, you are sooo perceptive...

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
At a corner we generally do keep one up..not TH as he is pretty useful defending (probably better than attacking currently)..although I did notice late on that no one was quite sure who should stay up ..Elvis thought it was him but the bench pointed at Wilson.
I posted this on another thread today, he cleared 3 Ipswich corners which was very good defending.
It would be great to see him heading it as powerfully in their box!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This is why I was anti Zamora signing.

The club has been light up top all season.
Obviously I'm chuffed to bits that my timing was wrong.
It's taken until almost the transfer window to unravel, but starting the season with 2 and a half strikers was, in my opinion, too much of a risk.

Back in the summer, I'd have much prefered 2 fit 'nobodies' to one legend who's time needs 'managing'.
Jesus H Christ Alive! On A Bike Wept.

The Zamora signing has been fantastic for us :rock:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The biggest factor in the injury situation was the loss of Bong we have not overcome it either then or now.
.................... although strangely the results kept coming until we very unluckily lost Rosenior too.

The biggest factor in the injury situation is the number. Seven.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
That old red herring again - only Reading and Hull have had more shots than Brighton this season... and indeed only Reading, Hull and Fulham have had more shots on target.

It's a pity that you need to trot that out. It's more apparent than ever that we are woefully weak up front. I'd be surprised if any of our front men make it to double figures, even including pen's and claiming goals that grazed a hair on the head as it was going into the net

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
It's a pity that you need to trot that out. It's more apparent than ever that we are woefully weak up front. I'd be surprised if any of our front men make it to double figures, even including pen's and claiming goals that grazed a hair on the head as it was going into the net

The quote was in reference to the fact that we "weren't creating enough chances" - quite clearly we are, but just aren't got enough at putting them away. Two different things aren't they!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I posted this on another thread today, he cleared 3 Ipswich corners which was very good defending.
It would be great to see him heading it as powerfully in their box!

He'd need a decent cross to be able to do that........his lack of goals is not all his own fault. Get a proper cross in - like VLP did against Charlton - and TH will do the business. Our crossing has been dire.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He'd need a decent cross to be able to do that........his lack of goals is not all his own fault. Get a proper cross in - like VLP did against Charlton - and TH will do the business. Our crossing has been dire.
As with all the AMEX era strikers, Leo being the exception that proves the rule.

I'd like Tomer to have enough chances to prove he's shitehouse, because I don't think he would.
Quite how anyone can come to that conclusion after the 'Boro and Ipswich TEAM performances (but not the Charlton game) is beyond me.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As with all the AMEX era strikers, Leo being the exception that proves the rule.

I'd like Tomer to have enough chances to prove he's shitehouse, because I don't think he would.
Quite how anyone can come to that conclusion after the 'Boro and Ipswich TEAM performances (but not the Charlton game) is beyond me.

We still haven't put in more than a handful of decent crosses all season........

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
We need a decent striker who will get straight on the goals,and that will be hard,money and clubs not letting players go,add 4/5others and we might finish near/in playoffs

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We still haven't put in more than a handful of decent crosses all season........
Recently.

I think the team were getting there, they were certainly producing more crosses that we're used too, damning with very faint praise.
Imagine if Kaz and Solly had hit top form at the same time, then we'd definitely know if the strikers were lacking.

But currently v Ispwich 2 crosses beat the first man, Tomer wasn't on the pitch for the second and he did the first.
That's hardly a fair sample to judge the player who thundered in a pin point cross v Charlton.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Recently.

I think the team were getting there, they were certainly producing more crosses that we're used too, damning with very faint praise.
Imagine if Kaz and Solly had hit top form at the same time, then we'd definitely know if the strikers were lacking.

But currently v Ispwich 2 crosses beat the first man, Tomer wasn't on the pitch for the second and he did the first.
That's hardly a fair sample to judge the player who thundered in a pin point cross v Charlton.

Very frustrating to watch the ball hit the first defender time after time.....

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Just put Goldson up front. Two winning goals in his first two starts for the Albion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here