Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Come on guys, Surely it's a striker that we need!,

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Highly risky to pin all of our hopes of maintaining momentum on a bought-in proven goalscorer. For sure it would be a massive boost, but that player could be crocked in his first game or rendered ineffective by a half-decent defence crowding him out of the game. IMHO the real key to maintaining momentum is to play the game much higher up the field with a 'shoot on sight' policy so the opposition don't know where the next goal is coming from. At the moment it's us that don't know where the next goal is coming from.

Yep, defend in the opposition's half!

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Highly risky to pin all of our hopes of maintaining momentum on a bought-in proven goalscorer. For sure it would be a massive boost, but that player could be crocked in his first game or rendered ineffective by a half-decent defence crowding him out of the game. IMHO the real key to maintaining momentum is to play the game much higher up the field with a 'shoot on sight' policy so the opposition don't know where the next goal is coming from. At the moment it's us that don't know where the next goal is coming from.

Like your thinking. HNY.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Yep, defend in the opposition's half!

This requires at least one quick defender (in case we lose the ball and all our players are too far forward). And it needs a defensive midfielder, Crofts (31 yo) if fit.

Block defending with 4-4-2 requires the wingers to defend as well and not lose the ball so much. The current idea seems to be get the ball forward more quickly which means we lost it more often. It is not as though we create any more chances.

If we get the lead I would like to see us keeping the ball a bit more.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
This requires at least one quick defender (in case we lose the ball and all our players are too far forward). And it needs a defensive midfielder, Crofts (31 yo) if fit.

Block defending with 4-4-2 requires the wingers to defend as well and not lose the ball so much. The current idea seems to be get the ball forward more quickly which means we lost it more often. It is not as though we create any more chances.

If we get the lead I would like to see us keeping the ball a bit more.

I certainly agree with that last sentence.

Too often on Tuesday night, we were frantically trying to defend with all ten outfield players back. If we could keep just one lone striker up the pitch, we would have a chance of holding the ball up, and not see it coming straight back into our box.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
I certainly agree with that last sentence.

Too often on Tuesday night, we were frantically trying to defend with all ten outfield players back. If we could keep just one lone striker up the pitch, we would have a chance of holding the ball up, and not see it coming straight back into our box.

Agree, never understand when you defend a corner that you don't leave someone with pace on the halfway line. The opposition will then have to keep 2 men back, and gives you a chance of a quick break

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Agree, never understand when you defend a corner that you don't leave someone with pace on the halfway line. The opposition will then have to keep 2 men back, and gives you a chance of a quick break

At a corner we generally do keep one up..not TH as he is pretty useful defending (probably better than attacking currently)..although I did notice late on that no one was quite sure who should stay up ..Elvis thought it was him but the bench pointed at Wilson.

Reckon he is signing on or before the 12th Day of Christmas.

#HoldTheNerve

58e5f235551fb4dc82ce6c025a29560a.jpg

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
More risky to attempt to reach the Prem without a striker who will score regularly in the Championship. This is why our club has been chasing JC since the summer. Thank goodness you are not in charge.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Correct. Not having a LB who will bomb on in their natural position really hasn't helped Murphy. My god we've been unlucky I really believe that - roll on Jan and some players back ASAP.

Ps I think Wilson will be the man to net a lot of goals although another striker would help too... Hemed does a lot of good work but isn't a natural scorer..

At long last somebody has seen the reason for our drop off in results. Murphy is not getting the service so is struggling once Ridgewell starts playing left back Murphy will get back to what he was early season and we will look better in all departments.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
More risky to attempt to reach the Prem without a striker who will score regularly in the Championship. This is why our club has been chasing JC since the summer. Thank goodness you are not in charge.

Thank goodness your job description presumably doesn't include the words 'risk management'. Eggs in one basket ring a bell?

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Think anybody with an IQ higher than their shoe size would have seen long before now now that our drop off in results is directly due to our increase in long term injuries.

In reality it is down to two good wingers defending and attacking well and giving cover for two good full backs and two good cbs - it is a good while since we have had that combination to help keep clean sheets and equally we have failed to score enough in recent games.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is why I was anti Zamora signing.

The club has been light up top all season.
Obviously I'm chuffed to bits that my timing was wrong.
It's taken until almost the transfer window to unravel, but starting the season with 2 and a half strikers was, in my opinion, too much of a risk.

Back in the summer, I'd have much prefered 2 fit 'nobodies' to one legend who's time needs 'managing'.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
At a corner we generally do keep one up..not TH as he is pretty useful defending (probably better than attacking currently)..although I did notice late on that no one was quite sure who should stay up ..Elvis thought it was him but the bench pointed at Wilson.

You're probably right, just remember one in the first half, we were 1-0 down at the time, Hemed coming back to defend and I glanced upfield and pretty sure we had no-one up.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The biggest factor in the injury situation was the loss of Bong we have not overcome it either then or now.

Yes, a much underrated player is our Gaetan Rosenior did a very good job as his replacement until he too picked up a nasty injury. Calde has done better than I thought he would too to be fair.

But for us to reignite this promotion push, we do need Gaetan Bong back as soon as we possibly can.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
That old red herring again - only Reading and Hull have had more shots than Brighton this season... and indeed only Reading, Hull and Fulham have had more shots on target.

I'm not talking about this season though, I'm talking about the last few games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here