Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Collymore...Its not up to footballers to be positive role models

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Really?
Do kids actually really want to copy something a bloke they can never afford to meet do?
Do they read they read the gossip columns, and think yes! this is the life for me!
I just don't get it. Think their parents need to be a bit more involved in their upbringing if this is what it's come to

Have you ever been to any grassroots games? The way some kids and (more to the point) their parents behave mimics the worst of the worst of what you see week in and week out at the "professional" level.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I guess he's missing the point that millions of kids mimic footballers far more than actors, singers or anyone else because footy against the others is a pastime that they take part in themselves.

Absolutely 100% bang-on right. Role models with their antics both on and off the pitch.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Following yesterday's Manchester Derby, I wonder how many of those that feel it's not a pro footballers remit to 'set an example', will feel when their offspring start gobbing on other kids or are spat on themselves. A player who pockets £10,000 A DAY needs to take on board more responsibility to the game than just kicking a ball about. :down:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I used to go out with a girl who went to school with him, I can confirm he is fecking stupid (cannot confirm whether said girl ever went dogging with him though)
Did said girl go dogging with you?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Most footballers are pretty decent though, and therefore you don't hear too much about them. Just look at our very own Calde.

Spitroasting barmaids sells newspapers, visiting kids homes doesn't.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Following yesterday's Manchester Derby, I wonder how many of those that feel it's not a pro footballers remit to 'set an example', will feel when their offspring start gobbing on other kids or are spat on themselves. A player who pockets £10,000 A DAY needs to take on board more responsibility to the game than just kicking a ball about. :down:

If a person's offspring spit at people on the pitch it's because THEY are a bad parent and most likely because the coach has no control. Blaming footballers is a cop out from their own responsibilities.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
I think he is good at what he does.

He's good at being a ****. He is very consistant at that. I hate him with passion. Not because of his views, not because of his love of hitting women, not even for his love of having sex with strangers in car parks but because of that disgusting vile Brummy accent. I ****ing hate it soo much. Every time i hear his depressing voice on talksport i makes me want to rip the radio out of my car. Imagine actually living in Birmingham and having to endure that vile sound permanently. It would be like living in hell.

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
He's good at being a ****. He is very consistant at that. I hate him with passion. Not because of his views, not because of his love of hitting women, not even for his love of having sex with strangers in car parks but because of that disgusting vile Brummy accent. I ****ing hate it soo much. Every time i hear his depressing voice on talksport i makes me want to rip the radio out of my car. Imagine actually living in Birmingham and having to endure that vile sound permanently. It would be like living in hell.
You'd better hope reincarnation isn't true. It would be the way of the cosmos to send you back as a Brummie. [emoji15]

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
He's only saying that to make himself feel better for beating the crap out of his girlfriend.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I don't see why footballers should be role models for anything other than play football well. It's not their job, any more than it's the job of a singer, poet, artist or dancer to be a role model.

If Person A puts Person B on a pedestal, copying his/her actions and is let down by B's shortcomings, it's Person A's responsibility.

That is a rather outdated view of footballers.

Nowdays clubs often use their players to attract youngsters and promote their image in the local area. They also become involved locally through such things as hospital visits and local community initiatives, the Albion has gone further than most in this arena. For the most part, clubs have shifted their image away from the bad old days of attracting holliganism & violence (not necessarily shared by all the fans!) and look to their players to be ambassadors for the club. With that comes a level of expectation about their behaviour away from the match day pitch.

By and large, singers, poets, artists and dancers have a responsibility solely towards themselves. Footballers, on the other hand, have a full time employer who increasingly expects from all their employees the kind of professional standards that are demanded in the business workplace.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
That is a rather outdated view of footballers.

Nowdays clubs often use their players to attract youngsters and promote their image in the local area. They also become involved locally through such things as hospital visits and local community initiatives, the Albion has gone further than most in this arena. For the most part, clubs have shifted their image away from the bad old days of attracting holliganism & violence (not necessarily shared by all the fans!) and look to their players to be ambassadors for the club. With that comes a level of expectation about their behaviour away from the match day pitch.

By and large, singers, poets, artists and dancers have a responsibility solely towards themselves. Footballers, on the other hand, have a full time employer who increasingly expects from all their employees the kind of professional standards that are demanded in the business workplace.

Well said. Youngsters do copy behaviour of pro footballers and it does come into sport. My grandson loves Lua a Lua and if he could somersault he would. Shirt pulling came from the top of the footballing tree. Footballers are little boys heroes and should conduct themselves as a good example.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
If a person's offspring spit at people on the pitch it's because THEY are a bad parent and most likely because the coach has no control. Blaming footballers is a cop out from their own responsibilities.

How silly of me not to consider that children either listen or use their parents advice as important. Believe me, if you always blame the parents and not the kids it will be a sad day for the thousands of parents that try their best, only to be let down by kids who use others as a major influence. What of the parents of these silly brainwashed ISIS boys ? What of the good and caring parents of the boy that stabbed a teacher several times....their fault too?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

That's odd, because he doesn't have a Brummy accent, partly because he's not from Birmingham.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What of the parents of these silly brainwashed ISIS boys ? What of the good and caring parents of the boy that stabbed a teacher several times....their fault too?

Of course not, it was Fellaini's fault for gobbing at Aguerro.

The main influence on teenagers is their peer group, not footballers, parents, teachers, politicians, pop or reality stars. It's a lottery as to who your kids end up hanging out with.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Of course not, it was Fellaini's fault for gobbing at Aguerro.

The main influence on teenagers is their peer group, not footballers, parents, teachers, politicians, pop or reality stars. It's a lottery as to who your kids end up hanging out with.

And who influences their peer group?

Of course footballers are role models, just as everyone that kids see are. Whether that be parents, teachers, relatives etc etc. Whether they chose to be positive or negative role models is another question. Nobody expects everyone to be perfect but surely it is not beyond common sense for footballers to understand the influence they have. They do have a privileged life because it is a life most of us would have, at some point in our lives, wanted to live. They are quite happy to milk the adulation they get so with that comes a social responsibility. Some will take and some won't.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer

Of course footballers are role models, just as everyone that kids see are. Whether that be parents, teachers, relatives etc etc. Whether they chose to be positive or negative role models is another question. Nobody expects everyone to be perfect but surely it is not beyond common sense for footballers to understand the influence they have. They do have a privileged life because it is a life most of us would have, at some point in our lives, wanted to live. They are quite happy to milk the adulation they get so with that comes a social responsibility.Some will take and some won't.

Exactly that.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Of course footballers are role models, just as everyone that kids see are. Whether that be parents, teachers, relatives etc etc. Whether they chose to be positive or negative role models is another question. Nobody expects everyone to be perfect but surely it is not beyond common sense for footballers to understand the influence they have. They do have a privileged life because it is a life most of us would have, at some point in our lives, wanted to live. They are quite happy to milk the adulation they get so with that comes a social responsibility. Some will take and some won't.

Unfortunately most footballers just aren't very bright, combine this a large amount of cash, loads of spare time and well I guess you can't expect much

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here