Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Collymore...Its not up to footballers to be positive role models

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
If person B puts themselves up as a perfect role model and puts themselves on a pedestal, but is secretly a complete *******, does Person A have the right to feel cheated in any way? Just asking.......

Can I have a list of the footballers who have said, or something similar to, 'I am a perfect role model'?

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
I don't see why footballers should be role models for anything other than play football well. It's not their job, any more than it's the job of a singer, poet, artist or dancer to be a role model.

If Person A puts Person B on a pedestal, copying his/her actions and is let down by B's shortcomings, it's Person A's responsibility.

To be fair, it shouldn't really go anywhere further than this!

If anyone ever thought that Stan Collymore was the guiding light to lead them through their troubled life, then I really fear for humanity.....

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I can't think why anyone would want to be like Colleymore. He is one of the reasons I can't listen to talksport.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
You've hit the nail on the head. Today Joe Hart squared his head right up to the ref, can't believe he got away with it. This is the England keeper FFS...

The next thing school kids will be doing the same to their PE teachers seeing it as acceptable

That would have been a great one for YouTube....if the Ref had nutted him!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If person B puts themselves up as a perfect role model and puts themselves on a pedestal, but is secretly a complete *******, does Person A have the right to feel cheated in any way? Just asking.......

An interesting one. You've made me think of those TV religious evangelists in the USA who were embroiled in sex scandals. Such as....
http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20098413,00.html

Ultimately, even if someone sets themselves up on a pedestal, it's down to others to choose whether to accept whatever they say without question.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Call me old fashioned but with such a high profile today's footballers do have a responsibility. Its the least they can do as highly privilidged individuals

how are they privileged? they earn alot of money and thats it - are you saying the mere act of earning money makes you a role model? when so many role models dont earn much that would seem daft. so what then are we saying?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I guess he's missing the point that millions of kids mimic footballers far more than actors, singers or anyone else because footy against the others is a pastime that they take part in themselves.

I accept it would serve footballers to be mindful that their actions have an impact on others. Yet that is well short of accepting the premise that footballers should be role models. While children may find it beneficial to learn different traits from different people, be it friends, teachers, parents, singers etc, no one person has the magic bullet for how another should lead their life. The sooner they learn that the better.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
how are they privileged? they earn alot of money and thats it - are you saying the mere act of earning money makes you a role model? when so many role models dont earn much that would seem daft. so what then are we saying?

Kids see what footballer do and copy the way they act on and off the field.

Another perfect role model in the Manchester derby, amazed the commentator missed it I saw it...http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/408248/Marouane-Fellaini-spitting-Sergio-Aguero

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
Goldstone Rapper is absolutely on the money. They're given jobs on footballing ability, not on quality as role models, if you think otherwise you have some startling problems. Soares? We'd have him in our team, right?

Choose admirable footballers as role models, Clark Carlisle types, the rest, they're footballers only.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Goldstone Rapper is absolutely on the money. They're given jobs on footballing ability, not on quality as role models, if you think otherwise you have some startling problems. Soares? We'd have him in our team, right?

Choose admirable footballers as role models, Clark Carlisle types, the rest, they're footballers only.

The same Clark Carlisle that was banned for drunk driving a couple of years back?!

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing

Another perfect role model in the Manchester derby, amazed the commentator missed it I saw it...http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/408248/Marouane-Fellaini-spitting-Sergio-Aguero

Really?
Do kids actually really want to copy something a bloke they can never afford to meet do?
Do they read they read the gossip columns, and think yes! this is the life for me!
I just don't get it. Think their parents need to be a bit more involved in their upbringing if this is what it's come to

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

kids would know nothing of the players off field actions if they weren't draged up into the public domain by media with faux concern for morals. anyone who raises their kids to copy any "celebrity" unquestioningly has gone wrong somewhere, parents should be guiding their children to recognise what is and isnt good behaviour regardless. anyway, you ignored the question about what privileged postion footballers have. what you mean is in the public eye, which is hardly a privilege is it? we create false idols then demonise them.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I don't see why footballers should be role models for anything other than play football well. It's not their job, any more than it's the job of a singer, poet, artist or dancer to be a role model.

If Person A puts Person B on a pedestal, copying his/her actions and is let down by B's shortcomings, it's Person A's responsibility.

It's the spitroasting that gets them in such trouble. We all like a good barbecue but they're always getting arrested after theirs.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I feel like a lot of TS presenters Collymore just tries to create controversy just do get the cold volumes to try and get more ambulance chasers to advertise on their station. Often is opinions are completely at odds with each other.

His all time classic (which he still stands by) is no promotion / relegation of the Premier League.

Yep.listening to talk sport is like watching wrestling. It's fake.

Five Live for me everytime. It's annoying when a commentary is exclusively live on TS because I find collymore very irritating.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
To be honest I can see where he's coming from. Their job is to be footballers, not male equivalents of Mother Theresa. If people idolise them and want to copy their behaviour then that's more 'societies' problem than theirs.

On the other hand, as well as any contractual obligations players might have not to bring their clubs, or the game, into disrepute, most players soon discover that behaving (most of the time) like decent human beings gets you more respect and 'love' from the media and fans - and also means that clubs are keener to sign you (and pay you more) as you're a good professional.

I guess Stan didn't totally think it through.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I don't personally think that a footballer should be chastised for their life outside the game, especially using the classic 'role model' headlines. As an example, the furore around Jack Wilshere having a smoke during the summer whilst on holiday. He didn't ask to be photographed or actively encourage anyone to do it, he was just living his life as he chooses to.

That being said, I don't think the same applies when they're on the pitch. Anyone that's coached youth football, or watched kids play, knows how much they like to copy the players latest exploits, both good and bad. Whether it be trying to smash one in from 25 yards or by having a strop when not awarded a throw in.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I can't think of any footballer that's put themselves on a pedestal... Footballers get placed there by virtue of their industry, not through personal choice.

When I was growing up, I had "role models" in football, but purely on a football basis and it was more idols than role models. These are players that I loved watching and wanted to emulate, I can honestly say I never gave two hoots about anything off the field.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here