Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Collections

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Never dream of it.
We went to a Star Wars exhibition in London a few years back, similar items on show, took our nephew's, but mainly for adults.
A brilliant day.
There is this still on for a few days, if you have the time, they may give you pointers to valuation.
2016 my Mrs took me up to the O2 for a Star Wars exhibition, they said that 95% of the items there were originals from the film's, most expensive item being the R2-D2 which sold at action for something ridiculous like £2.5m!

Actually just looked for signed helmets, a stormtrooper helmet signed by the cast of The Force Awakens sold for $121,000! Maybe there's hope for my retirement fund after all.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I was a 12 year old who fancied Carrie Fisher. Uniquely I think. I wonder if anyone else found her attractive?
She was lovely 😍
2016 my Mrs took me up to the O2 for a Star Wars exhibition, they said that 95% of the items there were originals from the film's, most expensive item being the R2-D2 which sold at action for something ridiculous like £2.5m!

Actually just looked for signed helmets, a stormtrooper helmet signed by the cast of The Force Awakens sold for $121,000! Maybe there's hope for my retirement fund after all.
The event we went to was at the old City Hall near the London Eye.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Whisky, plus (whiskey and bourbon). Mainly for drinking but my collection is going up faster than I can drink it. Now have some investment bottles (non drinkers). Now into whisky books, I e an aim to either visit all distilleries or having photo outside (if they have no tour), whisky tasting sessions, converting as many as possible into an understanding and love for the ‘water of life’

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I was talking with Mrs Pickles the other day about how many things constitute a collection, or the start of one. She reckons two, on the basis that I have two Lambrettas, but I reckon it's three, seeing as I'd like another...
I could help here.

Actually, no I can't . . . I have more Than three.

Mrs Zef Is still here, so I say DO IT!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Money

Old money, foreign money, unusual monry - it started when my Dad brought back money he picked up when he was abroad on RAF exercises, and went from there.

My oldest coin is from 1850.
After the first few words I was expecting you to rattle of a list of estates, plantations and a few mid sized Chateau!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Vintage Bicycle Tyre Repair Tins

tin3.jpg

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I'll dig out my signed photos tomorrow and put some photos on here. I used to have the helmets wall mounted and the autographed photos either side of each one but it looked a bit cluttered so I donated the ones of lesser value to my neighbour (who has a vast collection of vintage toys, star wars, he-man, transformers, space 1999, action man, Thunderbirds and so on, valued at over £200k!! Insane collection) and put the others away for safe keeping.
As I said in a previous post, I have no idea of the monetary value of what I have, but I know the Carrie Fisher autograph after she passed away was worth around £500 on its own. I'd imagine the Vader helmet will be the most valuable once James Earl Jones dies.
I remember that Driver8 said he knew Spencer Wilding and could possibly get him to autograph it too, but that was some time ago.
3000 signatures in your collection absolutely dwarfs mine, that's some serious leg work!
Sounds like you have gone very much quality over my quantity! 3000 sounds good, but a lot of them are ‘nobodies’ in the grand scheme of things. Britain’s Got Talent people, basically because they were there and I had a spare card, tennis players that never made it, etc. But yes, a lot of leg work and a lot of fun. It was also about seeing the same faces collecting or photographers, became quite a social thing. I do have a few that I’m very happy with though, like Tony Curtis, Charlton Heston, Lauren Bacall, plus a number of the more recent Hollywood crop. Now that I’m out of London, this part of my life seems to be over alas. Great memories tho!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My collection of vinyls, I have them all from my primary school years onwards, all looked after. If there was a fire, after saving my family and pets, the vinyls would come next. Includes a load of US and European imports bought from Rounder Records back in the day ….. irreplaceable.
Rounder Records RIP. I shopped there from the age of 14 or so right up until its closure. A sad day when it closed.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don’t get collecting, maybe because I’ve had to empty a few elderly houses. It’s just landfill at the end of the day, and if you don’t need it, why possess? Something in the human psyche I guess ‘this is mine, all mine…’

But it’s often just clutter clutter clutter. Can’t stand it! The number of people who for example collected programmes on here over the decades who’ve tried to then give away. Do yourself a favour. Stop accumulating shit. Can’t take it with you!
Collections are the very opposite of landfill.

If you don’t like collections, this may not be the thread for you. It’s a thread celebrating collections. Not some some moaning Minnie’s opinion of them.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I don’t get collecting, maybe because I’ve had to empty a few elderly houses. It’s just landfill at the end of the day, and if you don’t need it, why possess? Something in the human psyche I guess ‘this is mine, all mine…’

But it’s often just clutter clutter clutter. Can’t stand it! The number of people who for example collected programmes on here over the decades who’ve tried to then give away. Do yourself a favour. Stop accumulating shit. Can’t take it with you!
I total get this after clearing my dads house last year. He was an avid collector of anything the Albion, stamps, coins, newspaper cuttings, irons, electric razors, hats, another words a hoarder. I was left to clear it all out and just couldn’t get rid of it in the end, charity shops wouldn’t touch it. In the end it go so much I had to pay a clearance company to come round and clear the final lot.
This experience changed my view of collecting, as for years I would buy and Albion programmes, fanzines etc and just put them away in the loft. For what?
Past few months have been sifting through them, gradually throwing them out, was hard a first as it’s the memories, but gets quite liberating. I still have some momentous ones left, big games, first game with the grandkids etc but I’ve got a lot of space now in the loft to start collecting stuff.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Some of my penhaligons collection

Attachments

• IMG_5068.jpeg
    IMG_5068.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 40

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Very large collection of 80s computers - although I am starting to slim it down. Collecting turned to hoarding so I am selling a lot of it bit by bit to try and get a nice collection rather than boxes of stuff I don't look at. I mean, who needs 2 Acorn Electrons?

I also have a very large collection of Albion books. I'm not a completionist but it is probably a fair way there..

If you ever find yourself in Cambridge, I recommend a couple of hours in here:

It is on some run-down industrial estate and even the taxi driver didn't know of it when we went, but it is absolutely brilliant. You can spend hours programming Commodore Pets and BBC micros, or playing Chucky Egg on Spectrums and C64s. Then you've got the ancient Nintendo / Playstation consoles and so on. Apart from anything else they've got a ton of stock in another warehouse that they simply don't have space to show and probably never will.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here