Colin Kazim-Richards to face trial over homophobic gesture

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FalmerFox

Feb 4, 2012
I think the Football League isn't doing enough about incidents like these. This is their opportunity to show to fans that they're taking it seriously. What kind of message does it send saying "we're clamping down on homophobic chanting" and yet players can quite easily escape by doing even little things, they're meant to be representing a club who holds interest of thousands of people. Personally I think they should be handing out match bans for this type of behaviour.

FYI I hear a few Foxes fans were chucked out for homophobic chanting, a good riddance. As a team often on the end of racial chanting, you would think some fans would know better. Then again, it is a very small minority of people, most other fans are pretty disgraced by it.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
For **** sake, is it now a criminal offence to offend someone? Really?

Dont think he has been found guilty of being offensive

It is in Scotland and at football indeed against the law to be offensive,not sure if they have dumped that law yet,it seems many people think it doesnt work.

However 50% of Brighton fans are gay.someone is bound to be offended in instances such as this.

(% figures provided courtesy of L Costa not me)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
For **** sake, is it now a criminal offence to offend someone? Really?

It amazes me how you think. The criminal has somebody standing up for him, rather than the victim.

Is it really ok to be obscene, and direct that obscenity at a section of society, in a public event? At what point, does abuse become acceptable?

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
He should have been giving a much larger fine and made an example of. Maybe I should spend the day being racist because I personally class it as "banter" too.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
This really is a piece of nonsense. Using public funds and wasting court time over something so minor. My message to whoever found his gestures objectional is "man up and get a life".

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
What is really sad is that someone will be calling for passion, noise, support and partisan support from our fans before the weekend.

Well if you are one of those who support this prosecution then FxxK off you two faced waxxer!

The Amex can be dull, it will only get duller as our stewards stop standing, swearing and any mildly offensive chants. So those calling for a great atmosphere this weekend? Unless you are against this prosecution, why don't you pxxs off and watch your daughters gymkhana in your Hunter wellies? The Amex will be a better place without you.

I entirely disagree. One can have a great atmosphere - friendly or hostile - without standing, swearing and mildly offensive chants.

But for me there is a great difference between something like a chant of "We can see you holding hands" and someone effing and blinding all over the place with a liberal sprinkling of the c word. The former I don't object to too strongly, the latter is objectionable.

And I don't own Hunter Wellies, and neither of my (now grown-up) daughters ever went anywhere near a gymkhana. I have no intention of pxxsing off anywhere and have renewed my season ticket for next year.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
What is really sad is that someone will be calling for passion, noise, support and partisan support from our fans before the weekend.

Well if you are one of those who support this prosecution then FxxK off you two faced waxxer!

The Amex can be dull, it will only get duller as our stewards stop standing, swearing and any mildly offensive chants. So those calling for a great atmosphere this weekend? Unless you are against this prosecution, why don't you pxxs off and watch your daughters gymkhana in your Hunter wellies? The Amex will be a better place without you.

It is possible to be passionate and loud without resorting to obnoxious abuse. It's called BACKING THE TEAM.

CKR is small minded arrogant homophobic moron who go what he deserved. I couldn't give a crap how many people weren't offended by his actions, homophobia is now thankfully being taken seriously by the authorities and hopefully it will start diminish further in the game.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

Rubbish. Clamping down on pathetic homophobic gestures isn't going to impact the atmosphere at The Amex. The two are completely unrelated.

If someone can't attend a public event without making homophobic comments or making homophobic gestures then they need to take a long look in the mirror, not blame the event organisers.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
CKR is small minded arrogant homophobic moron who go what he deserved. I couldn't give a crap how many people weren't offended by his actions, homophobia is now thankfully being taken seriously by the authorities and hopefully it will start diminish further in the game.

Amen.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Really are people so offended by this they see it as a homophobic act? The insult was so bad it needed to be taken to court? The crowd can dish out abuse but can't take it back? It's a disservice to people who are effected by real acts of homophobia. Would a gay person be really offended by this gesture or would they just think the guy was a prat. Just so it's clear I'm fully supportive of acting on acts of homophobia involving hate and menace, this is totally different and a showcase for the authorities to tick a box and loads on here to get on their high horses.

Christ, someone with a sense of perspective. Spot on Nitram

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

What a well thought out and reasoned argument! However, may I please counter?

CKR, by doing what he did, maliciously and deliberately implied, in front of a large crowd of people, that being homosexual makes you somehow inferior to everyone else. As such he is an ill-educated, bigoted piece of trash and deserves the punishment he got.

As someone who has never owned wellies, made by Hunter or anyone else, and who's daughter has never expressed an interest in horses, but I would support her at a gymkhana as much as I support her when she plays football, I wonder whether I am in the category you suggest, as people who agree with the prosecution, should p*ss off. Please enlighten me.

I come to the Amex with a 10yo and we have had the discussion about what he might hear at a match and how he can repeat it at the game but not outside the ground, but we sit beside a younger child and with other very young children around so I endeavour to temper my language pitchside. Occasionally the odd expletive may escape in the most passionate moments and occasionally I may draw attention to the poor eye sight or diminutive stature of the referee and I have, on occasion, at a dev squad game, suggested a certain QPR player was a little overweight for a professional footballer [and he had the courtesy to acknowledge us and agree while taking a throw in and earned the utmost respect from all of us]. Once I even pointed out to the opposing player that he threw like a girl and as if to prove the point he f*cked up his third throw in on the trot.
Over in the SW corner, we are quite a vocal bunch. We will, without fail, shout words of encouragement when a BHA player takes a corner in front of us, we will criticise the footballing skill of any opposing player taking a corner in front of us and will frequently point out to the north stand that we are the south stand brighton boys and that we have more flags than you.
As such I'm not completely convinced the Amex would be a better place without us, but feel free to put forward another reasoned retort or failing that you could instead f*ck off yourself.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
It amazes me how you think. The criminal has somebody standing up for him, rather than the victim.

Is it really ok to be obscene, and direct that obscenity at a section of society, in a public event? At what point, does abuse become acceptable?

I'm saying he shouldn't be alled a criminal. A **** yes, but not a criminal.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I'm saying he shouldn't be alled a criminal. A **** yes, but not a criminal.

So it shouldn't be a crime or it shouldn't be a crime if it happens at a football ground? If the latter, what other offences shouldn't be offences within football stadia?

Not trying to be antagonistic, interested if its the latter.

If a player deliberately fouls another such that he causes significant damage (potentially career threatening) then I don't see why this isn't ABH or GBH in the eyes of the law. I understand 'contributory negligence' but when it isn't accidental..?

What other crimes should be overlooked at a match? Where is the line?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Yeah, you often hear from players things like " we were up against it in the second half, but luckily with all the homophobic and racist abuse from our fans they were like our 12th man. "

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Nothing to do with it being football. It's just in that situation, he wasn't threatening or aggressive, it was just a gesture. To make a criminal out of someone for a heat of the moment action like that is wrong in my opinion.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
He Should of got 7 years.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Nothing to do with it being football. It's just in that situation, he wasn't threatening or aggressive, it was just a gesture. To make a criminal out of someone for a heat of the moment action like that is wrong in my opinion.

Notwithstanding whether he should be labelled a criminal as a result of this court case, it does say something of his mindset if you believe he did this 'in the heat of the moment'.

However, the court was told it wasn't one gesture; he did it 'more than once'. Just wondering how many times would he succumb to the 'heat of the moment'?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

I imagine a lot of criminals committed their crime in 'the heat of the moment"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports