Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Colin Kazim-Richards to face trial over homophobic gesture

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Good old NSC, semi permanent homophobic abuse home and away and finally someone takes action and it goes to court and a guilty verdict returned and all we can do is fight over the semantics, sigh.

On the basis that the court made a decision on behalf of all the supporters present at the match, inasmuch as they were all offended by his gesture, how much money are we all to be awarded, and how do we go about putting in a claim?

But they didn't. So that's your argument torpedoed in the first sentence. Strange logic to begin with anyhow.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The size of the fine is pretty much an irrelevance to him, but its not important. He now has a criminal record (for a 'hate crime') which in terms of precedent, is not something to take at all lightly.

It has implications for employment prospects (not particularly in his specific case), visa applications, etc.

I bet the Turks will turn on him now........ They hate homophobia, racism and sexism. He is finished out there.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Really are people so offended by this they see it as a homophobic act? The insult was so bad it needed to be taken to court? The crowd can dish out abuse but can't take it back?
No, the crowd cannot dish it out. If a player was brave/stupid enough to come out, and people in the crowd taunted him for being gay, then yes, those people should get prosecuted. It's not ok to make racist or homophobic gestures. Get with the times already.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
No, the crowd cannot dish it out. If a player was brave/stupid enough to come out, and people in the crowd taunted him for being gay, then yes, those people should get prosecuted. It's not ok to make racist or homophobic gestures. Get with the times already.

Sadly, I think we have to accept that for as long as the earth still turns there will be people that believe that anything they don't find personally offensive can be classified as 'banter'.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
My reference to the crowd dishing it out was in reference to this particular case. Obviously if there were particular homophobic chants as you have highlighted they would need to be prosecuted. Again this is at crux of the matter, something specific aimed at someone for hurt and injury. The incident at the stadium and faux horror reaction of the crowd to stitch the player up does not come into the same category. Don't try and portray something I have not said.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Again this is at crux of the matter, something specific aimed at someone for hurt and injury.

If that's the case, what do you think CKR's gesture was intended as? Some kind of tribute perhaps? "Boy, you fellas really know how to sodomize!"

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
If that's the case, what do you think CKR's gesture was intended as? Some kind of tribute perhaps? "Boy, you fellas really know how to sodomize!"
No doubt the guy was a first class prat, over acted to a lot of abuse being aimed at him, but do you really think he was directing abuse against gay people? Or are you more worried about being labelled gay? A lot of double standards going on here.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No doubt the guy was a first class prat, over acted to a lot of abuse being aimed at him, but do you really think he was directing abuse against gay people? Or are you more worried about being labelled gay? A lot of double standards going on here.

It doesn't matter what you or I think about his abuse, the witnesses & a steward reported it, the police, charged it, and magistrates found it guilty according to the law of this land.
If you don't like the laws about public order, then lobby your MP.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
It doesn't matter what you or I think about his abuse, the witnesses & a steward reported it, the police, charged it, and magistrates found it guilty according to the law of this land.
If you don't like the laws about public order, then lobby your MP.
Nothing wrong with the law, great hate crimes are being recognised, but every case will have grey areas and decisions using the law are not always justly made. In this case the spirit of the law has been bent to make a stand and send out a message. Obviously I'm in a minority here in thinking that justice has not been totally served. Just a view that's all.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
What is really sad is that someone will be calling for passion, noise, support and partisan support from our fans before the weekend.

Well if you are one of those who support this prosecution then FxxK off you two faced waxxer!

The Amex can be dull, it will only get duller as our stewards stop standing, swearing and any mildly offensive chants. So those calling for a great atmosphere this weekend? Unless you are against this prosecution, why don't you pxxs off and watch your daughters gymkhana in your Hunter wellies? The Amex will be a better place without you.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
For **** sake, is it now a criminal offence to offend someone? Really?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My reference to the crowd dishing it out was in reference to this particular case.
And what did the crowd do to him? Regardless of whether it's a crowd or a single player, the laws are that you can call someone a ***t, or a ****er, but you can't be racist or homophobic.

The incident at the stadium and faux horror reaction of the crowd to stitch the player up does not come into the same category.
Whether some people faked their reaction I don't care, what he did was wrong, and shouldn't be condoned. Attitudes towards racism in football have changed hugely, and the country's a better place for it. Attitudes need to change towards homophobia too.

Don't try and portray something I have not said.
I'm not. You said "the crowd can dish out abuse but can't take it back?" which suggests that the abuse was equal, and I don't think it was.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Nothing wrong with the law, great hate crimes are being recognised, but every case will have grey areas and decisions using the law are not always justly made. In this case the spirit of the law has been bent to make a stand and send out a message. Obviously I'm in a minority here in thinking that justice has not been totally served. Just a view that's all.

How has justice not been served?

I wasn't particularly offended by it, but the message is do not try and denigrate a portion of society.

It doesn't matter if he was goaded in to it or not.

What were his intentions? To simulate homosexual sex.

Why? Because he intended to offend.

I'm probably biased as I think CKR is an absolute bell end and I'm delighted by the verdict.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
How has justice not been served?

I wasn't particularly offended by it, but the message is do not try and denigrate a portion of society.

It doesn't matter if he was goaded in to it or not.

What were his intentions? To simulate homosexual sex.

Why? Because he intended to offend.

I'm probably biased as I think CKR is an absolute bell end and I'm delighted by the verdict.

Regarding justice the last sentence sums it up, was he really offending the crowd because of the way they all support equal rights or was it because they wanted to be offended by a bellend.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
The #everydaysexism on twitter winds me up a bit, but at least it's having attention drawn to it - being a middle aged white boy I'm not particularly aware of "everyday anything".

This homophobic/racism casualness is prevalent though, and the more it's stepped on, with £700 fines or whatever, the better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here