Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

COG on his way then....

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I can see both sides of the argument.

On the one hand we need to act quickly to recruit the best we can expect to buy or acquire a top season long loan. If it means paying that bit extra then do it as that means they are here from the beginning of pre-season, where everyone will be up to speed with how CH wants us to play.

On the other hand if we wait then we could get the same players for far less money, but it will mean getting them maybe after the season has started, However it would also mean we have extra money available for any further acquisitions in Jan or emergency loans.

We obviously went with the second option last year, we cannot afford to do that again this year. Option 1 please, I don't think we have a choice.

Yes, I agree. Unfortunately, the second option proved to be our downfall last season. And, as you say, we don't really have a choice but to get them in early this season if we want to compete at the right end of the table again.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As for COG, call me old fashioned, but I like strikers who actually score. Granted he holds the ball up extremely well, but so did Ulloa...

I may get flamed here but I think COG holds the ball up better than Ulloa, unfortunately he runs like he is running in treacle and plainly does not have the eye for space and goals like Ulloa had. The fighting for the ball part of his game is also better. I have no idea why he had such a poor return this year as I think he is quite useful :shrug:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I may get flamed here but I think COG holds the ball up better than Ulloa, unfortunately he runs like he is running in treacle and plainly does not have the eye for space and goals like Ulloa had. The fighting for the ball part of his game is also better. I have no idea why he had such a poor return this year as I think he is quite useful :shrug:

Yes, COG did get about 15 the season before IIRC. Still our management soon put a stop to that nonsense!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

I'd go along with that

I think a big part of the problem might be that Hypia destroyed much of what we might have seen by playing him infrequently and out of position plus making unneccessary remarks to the media. Then Hughton comes in and for the most part sets up not to lose games and when he gets a go is left pretty isolated. I think he would score goals if he could have a Baldock type on hand and our midfielders got forward with pace.

Can't disagree that we need better but I also think he is far better than we have seen of him

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I'd go along with that

I think a big part of the problem might be that Hypia destroyed much of what we might have seen by playing him infrequently and out of position plus making unneccessary remarks to the media. Then Hughton comes in and for the most part sets up not to lose games and when he gets a go is left pretty isolated. I think he would score goals if he could have a Baldock type on hand and our midfielders got forward with pace.

Can't disagree that we need better but I also think he is far better than we have seen of him

I go along with this.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'd go along with that

Yes, he probably can do better - let's face it, the whole team's been goal-shy last season. He's not the long term future, I don't think - but let's make sure we've got someone better in before letting him go though.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford

Completely agree. O'Grady is one of the best in the league at holding the ball up, no question. His back to goal play is superb, his problem is that he doesn't seem to look like scoring often. Personally however, in the modern day football game with the 'number 10' my personal belief is that you don't need your striker scoring all the goals. If he holds the ball up well and brings into play the number 10 & two wingers then there's no issue....he'll create more goals than plenty would score

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Clough sacked. So presumably his move to Sheffield Utd could be off ? ???

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Clough sacked. So presumably his move to Sheffield Utd could be off ? ???

Just spoken to my source who says this certainly throws a spanner in the works but this could now spark interest from Sheffield Wednesday :lolol:.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here