COG on his way then....

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

can't see the point of selling O'Grady. He started playing now and there's no guarantee a replacement will be better.

If his replacement managed one league goal in open play across an entire season, that would make him better

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No doubt we'll get rid before we have a replacement as we'll need to free up money before we can buy, or more likely borrow :wink:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
No doubt we'll get rid before we have a replacement as we'll need to free up money before we can buy, or more likely borrow :wink:

We've already freed up about £1.4m of the annual playing budget with CMS going: 625K in contract amortisation and 15k a week wages! :cool:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
We've already freed up about £1.4m of the annual playing budget with CMS going: 625K in contract amortisation and 15k a week wages! :cool:

Fair enough, that probably covers a portion of running cost losses, we now need to cover a bit more, maybe with a season ticket boost by the board coming out with a statement about how competitive we will be next season? If this works and with the money from the Dunk sale we can scour the lower leagues for some bargains to keep us within FFP? :rolleyes:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Fair enough, that probably covers a portion of running cost losses, we now need to cover a bit more, maybe with a season ticket boost by the board coming out with a statement about how competitive we will be next season? If this works and with the money from the Dunk sale we can scour the lower leagues for some bargains to keep us within FFP? :rolleyes:

We also have the money coming from Leicester re Leo keeping them in the PL (and Sunderland too probably). Also the new FFP rules come into effect this coming season, so investment this summer will surely come down to how deeply TB wants to dig in his pockets.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Let's get at least 1 striker signed BEFORE we sell any.

As it is we need to bring in 2 strikers, before we even take into account a replacement for COG.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Bloom (and Barber) have already said they intend to invest to fund a "competitive" or "strengthen" the squad next season.

If we sell players , they will need replacing. We have a first team squad at the moment of 18/19 so a minimum of 6 signings at least. We won't need to sell further to bring in players.
As for "scouring the lower leagues" for players. When did we last do that ?
Even last year with what most view was weak recruiting, Baldock (and he had Champ experience) was the only player from the "lower leagues" we bought/recruited.
The rest were from Prem, Tier 1 or Champ. Holla (Dutch Prem), COG (Champ), Hughes (Prem), Stockdale (Prem), Tex (Prem), Gardner (Prem), Bennett (Prem), Colunga (La Liga), Kayal (Scottish Prem), McCourt (Champ)
And in rest of season all the other loans, in the end, were from the Champ or from the Prem.
Chicksen from MK Dons was the last signing from L1 i think aside from Baldock.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Bloom (and Barber) have already said they intend to invest to fund a "competitive" or "strengthen" the squad next season.

If we sell players , they will need replacing. We have a first team squad at the moment of 18/19 so a minimum of 6 signings at least. We won't need to sell further to bring in players.
Even last year with what most view was weak recruiting, Baldock (and he had Champ experience) was the only player from the "lower leagues" we bought/recruited.
The rest were from Prem, Tier 1 or Champ. Holla (Dutch Prem), Hughes (Prem), Stockdale (Prem), Tex (Prem), Gardner (Prem), Bennett (Prem), Colunga (La Liga), Kayal (Scottish Prem), McCourt (Champ)
And in rest of season all the other loans, in the end, were from the Champ or from the Prem.

I was being facetious Chailey, I will shoot myself if we recruit all next seasons players from the lower leagues!!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Let's get at least 1 striker signed BEFORE we sell any.

As it is we need to bring in 2 strikers, before we even take into account a replacement for COG.

So true. We have to act quickly and decisively this close season with regards to player acquisition, not dwardle, fail to meet primary target terms, lose out, then hit the bargain bucket. Just cannot afford to replicate last summer's disgraceful fiasco with all the club lickers giving it large about how great we are to play hard ball. I don't think they understand the term false economy, but that is precisely what happened last summer. < Awaits Chailey Jem's robust defence of the indefensible. >

Correction: CJ already on the case, responding to a clearly humorous post as if his life depended on standing up for a dreadful performance by our club's thankfully now axed recruitment setup of last summer.

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
As for COG, call me old fashioned, but I like strikers who actually score. Granted he holds the ball up extremely well, but so did Ulloa...

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
So true. We have to act quickly and decisively this close season with regards to player acquisition, not dwardle, fail to meet primary target terms, lose out, then hit the bargain bucket. Just cannot afford to replicate last summer's disgraceful fiasco with all the club lickers giving it large about how great we are to play hard ball. I don't think they understand the term false economy, but that is precisely what happened last summer. < Awaits Chailey Jem's robust defence of the indefensible. >

Correction: CJ already on the case, responding to a clearly humorous post as if his life depended on standing up for a dreadful performance by our club's thankfully now axed recruitment setup of last summer.

I can see both sides of the argument.

On the one hand we need to act quickly to recruit the best we can expect to buy or acquire a top season long loan. If it means paying that bit extra then do it as that means they are here from the beginning of pre-season, where everyone will be up to speed with how CH wants us to play.

On the other hand if we wait then we could get the same players for far less money, but it will mean getting them maybe after the season has started, However it would also mean we have extra money available for any further acquisitions in Jan or emergency loans.

We obviously went with the second option last year, we cannot afford to do that again this year. Option 1 please, I don't think we have a choice.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We need to get in most of the 6 signings we already need before fiddling about selling COG, Dunk, Holla etc. and having to replace them as well.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill

The rest were from Prem, Tier 1 or Champ. Holla (Dutch Prem), COG (Champ), Hughes (Prem), Stockdale (Prem), Tex (Prem), Gardner (Prem), Bennett (Prem), Colunga (La Liga), Kayal (Scottish Prem), McCourt (Champ)

Yes all that money on the wage bill and for what ? Based on performances, one good championship player whilst the rest were average to pretty poor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports