Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coffee advice

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
The range of opinions expressed so far confirms that coffee is entirely a matter of individual preference. No two people will ever agree on the 'ideal' coffee.

On TLO's point, Americano may well taste similar to filter coffee, but it's supposed to be made as an espresso shot that's topped up with hot water. My Italian mother-in-law always used a stovetop Moka, and others here have mentioned percolators, but both these methods commit the cardinal sin of boiling the coffee. Purists insist that the water temperature must not exceed 93 C, otherwise it burns the coffee and makes it bitter.

As for blends, I much prefer a dark, chocolatey roast, so buy Velluto Nero or Esotico from the Algerian Coffee Store in Soho for brewing espresso in my Gaggia Classic machine. But an Americano can be made with any kind of bean – it's a process rather than a flavour.

Real coffee purists will always grind their own beans – some even roast them as well. Grinders can be ludicrously expensive, and I make do with a simple Krups machine – but it's a burr grinder (which crushes the beans) rather than the whirling blade type which overheats the beans and ruins the flavour.

IF you really want to get into this kind of thing (but beware, for it will suck you in) there are a number of good websites. This (American) one does a good job of explaining and demystifying the black arts.

Plake

Unregistered User
Nov 7, 2009
Brighton seafront
I'm a bit of a coffee lover. Live quite near the Red Roaster and they have a pretty decent house blend, if a little acidic. Small Batch I've had a couple of bags from and again, pretty nice but too acidic for my liking.

By far the nicest blend I've found is from Beanzz in Eastbourne. Hand roasted in house and a beautifully balanced strong rich flavour. They'll deliver it I think. I get the beans whole but they do sell it ground too. http://www.beanzzcoffee.co.uk

No affiliation with any of these by the way, just like drinking coffee.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Purists will also say that the time delay between roasting/grinding and when the coffee is actually used is important and standard off-the-shelf coffee from supermarkets isn't good because it will have been hanging around for months. I must admit that I've used a range of coffees from supermarkets and some have been good and others not so good - its all a matter of taste, as this thread demonstrates plenty of people seem to love Red Roaster but I bought some coffee from them and really didn't enjoy the flavour!!

There are plenty of online retailers who will ship the roasted or ground beans to you within a day (sometimes the same day) of being roasted. I've used hasbean.co.uk in the past and always found them pretty good - the guy who runs the site is a real enthusiast but the site has plenty of straightforward and useful information and guides, even if you don't buy from there. Their Starter Packs are a good place to....er...start if you want to experiment with a few different sorts of coffee without it costing a fortune.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Has anyone tried Kopi Luwak coffee? These are coffee beans with have been eaten and shat out by a certain Indonesian animal. The argument that the selection and digestion leads to a better bean. I've not tried the coffee but I've tried a breakfast stout made with these beans. Very nice it was to.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Has anyone tried Kopi Luwak coffee? These are coffee beans with have been eaten and shat out by a certain Indonesian animal.
I have, and it's tempting to say that it tasted like s**t. But in fact it was pretty decent. Not amazing, but nice enough. Still sounds like a real Pseuds Corner beverage to me though. And just imagine how it ever came to be discovered...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What a world I'm missing out on by loathing the taste of coffee :(

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
So after purchasing some ground expresso today I have now obtained the smooth consistency you would associate with coffee shop coffee. My only concern now is the amount of expresso I'm consuming. Every article ive read states an Americano should be half expresso and half water (added milk optional). Whilst I have no reason to doubt this isn't expresso essentially meant to be served as a shot?

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I sometimes go to a place called The Barn. It's a very clean concrete and glass coffee hipster coffee house which takes the drink to a new level. It's like the meth-lab in Breaking Bad and they make their drinks using the japanese things which keep the water a constant and specific tempature and ensure the coffee is distributed through the liquid consistently.

The other news worthy items are that they have banned phones, laptops and children. On this latter point they even have a bollard on the door (complete with crossed out babybuggy sign) so that strollers and prams cannot get through. It's interesting how people seem quite supportive of the phones/laptop ban but have kicked up a fuss about the kids ban.

Is this the place? Prenzlauer Berg
If so, great coffee
ac0ea0e277df04728a9dd81f221d5cbf.jpg
ef888bcdf46c5626444e800b441da954.jpg

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Don't buy a coffee machine. Buy a coffee grinder, fresh beans and cafetiere.

The wife bought me a Krups bean to cup coffee maker as an anniversary present - works brilliantly without all the messing about with a separate grinder and once you've got the settings right produces a consistent cup of coffee time after time with the option for espresso, latte, cappuccino or americano.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is this the place? Prenzlauer Berg
If so, great coffee
ac0ea0e277df04728a9dd81f221d5cbf.jpg
ef888bcdf46c5626444e800b441da954.jpg

Yes, yes, this is the place. But it's in Mitte: it's at the bottom of Schonehauseralle.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
It's interesting how people seem quite supportive of the phones/laptop ban but have kicked up a fuss about the kids ban.

Thank god for that! Still some sane people in the world then.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Yes, yes, this is the place. But it's in Mitte: it's at the bottom of Schonehauseralle.

Ah ok - I remember the location now and went there last year when my son was running in the Berlin marathon. The geo data on my iPhone gave the location of the pics as Prenzlauer Berg for some reason

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ah ok - I remember the location now and went there last year when my son was running in the Berlin marathon. The geo data on my iPhone gave the location of the pics as Prenzlauer Berg for some reason

Coffee and cake whilst your son does the running. I like your style.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Sat in Starbucks in Broadwater waiting for a friend. The coffee is a bit meh, but at £1.95 for a bucket of refillable filter coffee, and free wifi I'm not actually complaining. Gonna rinse this for all I can to be honest!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here