Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cody McDonald?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I presume 29 is too old for the development squad. I also presume this is BS as if this is the sort of signing we are going to make we might as well move back to Withdean.

You are clearly not taking onboard how difficult everything is with FFP and trying to compete with clubs who have parachute payments. Even Hughton was regurgitating Barber sound bites last week.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You are clearly not taking onboard how difficult everything is with FFP and trying to compete with clubs who have parachute payments. Even Hughton was regurgitating Barber sound bites last week.

The trouble is if the club shows a lack of ambition in terms of 'on the pitch', revenue streams will drop in any case as people will stop coming.

Cody McDonald is not good enough for the championship.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The trouble is if the club shows a lack of ambition in terms of 'on the pitch', revenue streams will drop in any case as people will stop coming.

I agree, we desperately need quality players with pace but tbh I know nothing about Cody McDonald so cannot pass an opinion.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I agree, we desperately need quality players with pace but tbh I know nothing about Cody McDonald so cannot pass an opinion.

Would have preferred Freddie Sears who Ipswich bought from Colchester.

Bradshaw at Walsall also 'seemed' more prolific last year than McDonald. Whether any are better than O'Grady is questionable, and even he should not be considered as a week-in, week-out starter.

It does concern me that we are still not signing players. We must have a lot more available in the wages budget having off-loaded CMS, Kemy and Best.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
He looked like he was going to fulfill his potential a couple of years ago. A decent "blunt instrument" striker that others can play off. Not without skill or pace. No objections from me. He would make a good squad asset.
If (IF) we go for him it would indicate that the thread saying COG is staying was a little presumptuous

anygivensunday

Jul 5, 2012
Singapore
Gills fan here. I would be very surprised if there's any truth in this. He's a hero down here and has just signed a new 2 year deal with us a couple of months ago. He is an excellent league 1 striker but as others have said he did not really do much in his previous time in the Championship with Norwich, and struggled at Coventry.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Would have preferred Freddie Sears who Ipswich bought from Colchester.

Bradshaw at Walsall also 'seemed' more prolific last year than McDonald. Whether any are better than O'Grady is questionable, and even he should not be considered as a week-in, week-out starter.

It does concern me that we are still not signing players. We must have a lot more available in the wages budget having off-loaded CMS, Kemy and Best.

Kemy and CMS are still contacted with us until 30th June, so we're still paying their wages, so that might be a reason why we haven't.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Can we not agree a deal with players to be effective from 1st July thus getting in quick but not paying double wages to both the new and old players.
If only it was that easy. Why would a player looking for a new club sign the first deal they were offered unless they were certain they couldn't get a better offer?

It makes perfect sense to wait and see what else comes in. If the club took the first bid for any of our decent players there would be uproar.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I am presuming you have seen Cody Mc Donald play many times to be qualified to make such a comment. There are players who develop later in their career. Lewis Grabban was released by both Palace and Millwall and went down the leagues before moving back up them and will be playing in the Premiership next year. Glenn Murray and Ricky Lambert are others.

I cant comment on the lad because I have never seen him play but wouldn't be so arrogant as to dismiss the guy.

Another less than successful man while out on loan at Millwall, Norwich and Leicester was Harry Kane, now he is suddenly worth 40 million. Sometimes players go to clubs when they are struggling and that's why they fail to shine because they get very little support from around them. Why don't we wait and see the guy play before passing judgement. Better still, lets wait and see if the rumour is even true

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I am presuming you have seen Cody Mc Donald play many times to be qualified to make such a comment. There are players who develop later in their career. Lewis Grabban was released by both Palace and Millwall and went down the leagues before moving back up them and will be playing in the Premiership next year. Glenn Murray and Ricky Lambert are others.

I cant comment on the lad because I have never seen him play but wouldn't be so arrogant as to dismiss the guy.

Another less than successful man while out on loan at Millwall, Norwich and Leicester was Harry Kane, now he is suddenly worth 40 million. Sometimes players go to clubs when they are struggling and that's why they fail to shine because they get very little support from around them. Why don't we wait and see the guy play before passing judgement. Better still, lets wait and see if the rumour is even true

Actually, yes I have seen him play several times.

Harry Kane example is poor as he s a young man at a premier league club, sent out in his informative years to get experience. Murray was relatively young when he joined us and developed each year. Whether Grabban actually plays or is sold remains to be seen (I heard Norwich were trying to off-load), and in both cases are younger. Whilst Lambert, may be the exception, few players develop further at 29.

Cody has failed before at championship level and whilst a good fit at the Gills, is simply not good enough IMO for the championship.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Can we not agree a deal with players to be effective from 1st July thus getting in quick but not paying double wages to both the new and old players.

Not sure you are allowed to be under contract to 2 clubs at the same time?

Presumably a pre-contract agreement is considered differently.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not sure you are allowed to be under contract to 2 clubs at the same time?

Presumably a pre-contract agreement is considered differently.

That was my point a legal agreement for a player to actually sign on 1st July.with no get out by either party before then so cannot be tempted by higher wages at the last minute.as per Ward and Grabban. This applies to any player not necessarily Cody McDonald, of whom I know nothing.so have no view.for or against.

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
My concern over Zamora's return is only financial.

Let's say this lie were to be true, and the lad Cody is all the club can afford after paying Bobby a competitive wage.
I'm asking is the Bobby deal actually good value?

That's conjecture upon conjecture, so no point in answering your question.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Of course we can, and other clubs do this, but we are the world's most sluggish player recruiters...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
If only it was that easy. Why would a player looking for a new club sign the first deal they were offered unless they were certain they couldn't get a better offer?

It makes perfect sense to wait and see what else comes in. If the club took the first bid for any of our decent players there would be uproar.

So why have deals already been struck this summer then? And in our league too. Are the players concerned all poor players? Answer = No.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here