COC Final

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My mistake, but the point remains on talking to Reading, and the points raised in my post are unaffected.

He was given permission to talk to Reading, and turned them down as he had the Uruguyan Under 21s.

I know he breached his contract and was sacked because of it, but the detractors seem to exaggerate his shortcomings and ignore his qualities. Anyone who tries to debate it truthfully then gets labelled a groupie or worse.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No, please tell us - as you obviously do!

This is the Six Billion Dollar question.

My take on it is that he obviously had a bust up with 'the club' (by which I mean any or all of Bloom, Barber and Burke), probably over the finance that would be made available to strengthen the squad (which explains his mistimed 'we've hit the ceiling' comments).

I also think the official reason for his suspension (as alluded to in the Argus at the time) was the fact that he refused to deal with the retained list (again, I assume this was related to the fact that he was being over-ruled in terms of the playing staff we could keep or who we could bring in). This would be enough to put him in breach of contract.

But if you know differently, please share your inside knowledge with the rest of us (and while you're at it, perhaps you could also explain why Tanno and Oatway were also suspended because I haven't a clue...)

At least you got that bit right.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
1) How can players commit to signing for us when the manager is not committed?

2) And why would Bloom feel comfortable spending millions signing players for Gus if he could leave at any time?

3) Gus had already had talks with Wolves and he had talks with Reading. If he wanted to make a strong case to Bloom about his commitment he wouldn’t have spoken to any of them.

4)Bloom tested his commitment to the club by letting him speak to these clubs and Gus failed by willingly going. He could have quite have easily said he wasn’t interested, and that would have made a massive difference to Blooms thoughts on this and given him confidence in the manager and future signings.

5) People must also bear in mind that we had only just bought Ulloa in February so Bloom still had some confidence in Gus at that time.

6) Go back to 1)

All good points there Symyjym (Wolves bit excepted). Gus more than adequately demonstrated his disloyalty to anyone but the blinkered few on here. They're running lemming-like to his defence again. I really don't know why they don't just **** off and support Sunderland or wherever else the 'Messiah' ends up next.

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He was given permission to talk to Reading, and turned them down as he had the Uruguyan Under 21s.

I know he breached his contract and was sacked because of it, but the detractors seem to exaggerate his shortcomings and ignore his qualities. Anyone who tries to debate it truthfully then gets labelled a groupie or worse.

And anybody who points out his oh so obvious shortcomings gets accused of being a 'hater'. He turned Reading down because he didn't want a relegation on his CV.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
1) How can players commit to signing for us when the manager is not committed?

2) And why would Bloom feel comfortable spending millions signing players for Gus if he could leave at any time?

3) Gus had already had talks with Wolves and he had talks with Reading. If he wanted to make a strong case to Bloom about his commitment he wouldn’t have spoken to any of them.

4)Bloom tested his commitment to the club by letting him speak to these clubs and Gus failed by willingly going. He could have quite have easily said he wasn’t interested, and that would have made a massive difference to Blooms thoughts on this and given him confidence in the manager and future signings.

5) People must also bear in mind that we had only just bought Ulloa in February so Bloom still had some confidence in Gus at that time.

6) Go back to 1)

this is news to me who has said he went to Reading and spoke to them?

and out of interest that nasty person Mauricio Pochettino has said that he would one day love to manage PSG

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
All good points there Symyjym (Wolves bit excepted). Gus more than adequately demonstrated his disloyalty to anyone but the blinkered few on here. They're running lemming-like to his defence again. I really don't know why they don't just **** off and support Sunderland or wherever else the 'Messiah' ends up next.

I SAID TO MYSELF I WOULD'NT GO THERE AGAIN
will support anyone who is treated with unfairness which is exactly what you are doing
and how bloody dare you intimate that anyone who shows some support in the interests of fairness should go and support another club

you are one nasty little twurp
please go and peddle your hate on some other forum

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
And anybody who points out his oh so obvious shortcomings gets accused of being a 'hater'. He turned Reading down because he didn't want a relegation on his CV.

He'll get one this season. Watch them implode from now on in.

Gus Poyet did unbelievable things at this football club and El Pres is right when he says that players win (or lose) football matches. But players act on instructions given to them by the management, they don't just go out and play like some random Sunday League team. His tactics in the play-off second leg were SO at odds with what had happened in the previous half dozen home games that he MUST have transferred some of his negativity to the players.

I love what he achieved at our club, but will new forgive him for that 90 minutes back in May.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
He'll get one this season. Watch them implode from now on in.

Gus Poyet did unbelievable things at this football club and El Pres is right when he says that players win (or lose) football matches. But players act on instructions given to them by the management, they don't just go out and play like some random Sunday League team. His tactics in the play-off second leg were SO at odds with what had happened in the previous half dozen home games that he MUST have transferred some of his negativity to the players.

I love what he achieved at our club, but will new forgive him for that 90 minutes back in May.

why did it have to be him
devils advocate here, but it could have been just about anyone
gets back to old word again I would'nt TRUST anyone who is involved in that fiasco,I just wish someone who is actually ITK WOULD COME ALONG AND LET US ALL KNOW THEN WE COULD PUT THIS TO BED.

EDIT
I would just like a few minutes with all who are involved in this little fiasco two or three questions would do it
could someone arrange this

ANOTHER EDIT
my other half has just read some of the posts on this thread and asked me if I think that either Gus or someone he knows ever reads whats said about him on this forum .................Hmmmmmmmmm!!

Last edited:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

He is a players manager which does work to a degree, but I feel his biggest fault is being personally involved with players.

I'm not saying that I know that he would have said to players, "if I leave, I promise I will be back for you", but I suspect he did. I am not even saying it is that bad because this can be excused as human nature and showing a loyalty to them, but it is something that would have been very damaging to the long term of the club.

I much prefer the dispassionate approach, and one without favoritsim, from Oscar and view this as much more professional.

Of course Gus played a big part in our revival, but we could have probably done quite a good job with someone like Eddie Howe. So I don't buy the "if it wasn't for Gus we wouldn't be here now" soundbyte.

I must admit I don't like the vitriolic abuse he gets, but I am happy to be playfully critical of him on the understanding that he tried to manipulate the situation to his advantage.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
How pleasing it was to see Mr Arrogant' s huge ego getting a good kicking. Nice one Citeh.

I do not think it got a good kicking to be honest, and the interviews after the game would show that it did not give his ego a kicking 1 bit.

2 world class goals that turned the game around and the Sunderland fans in the stands still singing all game. The result was almost secondary yesterday. After the game citeh fans asking why the Sunderland fans were still singing at the tube stations etc even though they had lost. It was about been there enjoying the game and the atmosphere.

1st cup final since '92 which I was 6 at the time so for me my first ever final, I would take yesterday over relegation all day long never been so proud to be a Sunderland fan.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

and out of interest that nasty person Mauricio Pochettino has said that he would one day love to manage PSG

Pretty sure he spoke to Reading, and that Pochettino's a tw@ who wont be there next season.

btw I hope all went well with you the other week. :thumbsup:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

I guess you're one of those Gus-blinkered posters who think Oscar's pronouncements around his possible future are the same as Gus' ones. They aren't.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Pretty sure he spoke to Reading, and that Pochettino's a tw@ who wont be there next season.

btw I hope all went well with you the other week. :thumbsup:

all bloody borderline so back again in two months ...........DGH now I do have a season ticket to get in there:)

thanks

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I SAID TO MYSELF I WOULD'NT GO THERE AGAIN
will support anyone who is treated with unfairness which is exactly what you are doing
and how bloody dare you intimate that anyone who shows some support in the interests of fairness should go and support another club

you are one nasty little twurp
please go and peddle your hate on some other forum

At least I support my club, not its ex-manager. You just throw around insults to a Brighton fan. I find it hilarious that you can't spell twerp. Sums you up nicely.

Last edited:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
At least I support my club, not its ex-manager. You just throw around insults to a Brighton fan. I find it hilarious that you can't spell twerp. Sums you up nicely.

thank you

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I guess you're one of those Gus-blinkered posters who think Oscar's pronouncements around his possible future are the same as Gus' ones. They aren't.

I would like to manage Chelsea
I would like to manage Barcelona
I would like to manager PSG
ALL very aspirational

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Bloom tested his commitment to the club by letting him speak to these clubs and Gus failed by willingly going. He could have quite have easily said he wasn’t interested, and that would have made a massive difference to Blooms thoughts on this and given him confidence in the manager and future signings.

TB gave Reading permission to talk to GP NOT permission to GP to talk to Reading - that's the way it works, you can't prevent nor allow an individual talking to whoever they like - when Reading spoke to GP he turned them down!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I do not think it got a good kicking to be honest, and the interviews after the game would show that it did not give his ego a kicking 1 bit.

2 world class goals that turned the game around and the Sunderland fans in the stands still singing all game. The result was almost secondary yesterday. After the game citeh fans asking why the Sunderland fans were still singing at the tube stations etc even though they had lost. It was about been there enjoying the game and the atmosphere.

1st cup final since '92 which I was 6 at the time so for me my first ever final, I would take yesterday over relegation all day long never been so proud to be a Sunderland fan.

Gotta say the Sunderland fans were amazing right to the end of the game. For what it's worth, I think Gus will keep Sunderland up. Said it all along. Great manager but massive personality flaws.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

I'm bored with your inability to realise that people only started dis-liking Poyet after that shambles of a playoff semi final and all of the crap that came out after it (no pun intended). Yes, I think you are a Gus Groupie-in much the same way you label me as a 'hater' or 'detractor'. We'll never agree on Poyet so he's all yours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports