Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Keeper to beat (irrespective of formations, chances, service etc) he has not put away as many as he should. Although still believe he has the ability - just needs to find his groove - soon though.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
we still need that big stong centre forward who can score goals and i dont feel ogrady colunga and baldock are the answer but i hope i am wrong

Seagulls Downunder

Mar 3, 2008
Sydney
I think he would have been a good foil for Ulloa but unfortunately they never really played together.

This, for 3 seasons we've banged on about this, either give him someone to play alongside or get shot of him.
Maybe harsh but I feel this debate has gone on long enough, work rate dosen't win you matches but goals do.
Ask anyone that's ever had Dimitar Berbatov in their team, possibly the laziest player you'll ever see but he knows where the back of the net is.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Simple answer: no.

I think he's had enough time now, he's a mid - lower end Championship striker, who is capable of producing the odd moment of brilliance. Great guy, can't fault his effort, but he simply isn't the player we all thought / hoped he was when we signed him. This will be his last year.

Summed up perfectly.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Simple question. Is he a clinical finisher?

I am a great fan of CMS, as, I suspect, many on here are in theory, but even I have to admit that his goal-scoring record is not good. When I saw him play for Peterborough, he was a real terrier and with McLean and Boyd to help, the goals flowed. He continues to chase everything here, to his eternal credit, though his control is not always good, but at this level he just does not seem to be able to make it. I don't really know much about systems and formations, and those more (or presume to be) knowledgeable than I am, will tell you that he does not get the service he needs, and I imagine that there is more than a grain of truth in this. However, he has played for three managers now, each no doubt with a different emphasis, and the result is the same mediocre scoring record-yes, of course he missed much of season last year, I appreciate.
When we first started at the Amex, I was amazed at the difference in the standard of player's passing and speed of movement, compared to that of League 1 the previous season. Perhaps it is just that paying round about £2 million, possibly a bit more, for a striker, which the club seem to prefer as their upper limit, does not buy top quality at this level. This is not necessarily a criticism, as the club does not have parachute payments and intends to stick within FFP guidelines, but it is perhaps simply a question of by and large, you get what you pay for. Harsh judgement, I know, but then that is life.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I watched the stream today and at one point in the first half all you could see was CMS holding up the ball with SEVEN red shirts around him. I'm not convinced he's the striker we thought he'd be but we do ask an awful lot of him.

And also a couple of good runs where he found space but the cross was appalling, one inparticular where he was alone about 8 yards out running towards goal when any half decent ball played across the goal on the ground would have resulted in a tap in but instead the crosser decided to hit it up in the air to the back post giving CMS absolutely no chance to score.

We need to make better chances for all our front players rather than these poor, ill thought out attempts (poor final ball quality) but i guess it's easier to balme the forwards.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I think he's had enough time now, he's a mid - lower end Championship striker, who is capable of producing the odd moment of brilliance. Great guy, can't fault his effort, but he simply isn't the player we all thought / hoped he was when we signed him. This will be his last year.

Is this the final year of his contract then? If so, better ship out in January for a few quid (and a saving on his wages).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is this the final year of his contract then? If so, better ship out in January for a few quid (and a saving on his wages).
then what?

Unless you're either saying we end the season with 1 & 1/2 recognisable strikers.
Or
We spend the saved wages and few hundred thousand pounds on Cristino Ronaldo.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Unless you're either saying we end the season with 1 & 1/2 recognisable strikers.

No, we'd end the season with three strikers pretty much the same quality as CMS. And where on earth did you get the idiotic idea that I thought we should get Cristino (or Cristiano) Ronaldo for a few hundred thousand?:facepalm:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No, we'd end the season with three strikers pretty much the same quality as CMS. And where on earth did you get the idiotic idea that I thought we should get Cristino (or Cristiano) Ronaldo for a few hundred thousand?:facepalm:
What 3 strikers, Baldock & who are the other 2?

Colunga isn't a full on striker.
OGrady has been told he can leave.
You want CMS gone.

The point re Ronaldo being, who are you getting to replace CMS with next to no money, in the January window.

Remember the basic requirement for any striker to be an Albion striker is that they are expected to have the best goals to shots ratio in the world.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

You want CMS gone.

The point re Ronaldo being, who are you getting to replace CMS with next to no money, in the January window.

Remember the basic requirement for any striker to be an Albion striker is that they are expected to have the best goals to shots ratio in the world.

Colunga is on the books as a striker, and COG hasn't gone yet, and may not do so. If CMS is going for nothing at he end of the season, might as well cash in in January. Playing wise it won't make a great deal of difference - any of the other three are just as likely to score (or not to score) as CMS, it would seem.

Then of course there is the question of the Bridcutt/Ulloa/Buckley money; I don't know if it is available to spend or whether it was needed to balance the books, but if it is available it may just be that those in charge decided not to spend in the summer but wait until Sami had got his feet well and truly under the table, and knew exactly who he wanted - so maybe, just maybe, we are preparing to spend (fairly) big in January. Sorry to disillusion you though, but it won't be Cristiano Ronaldo.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010

Agree with this.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

You want CMS gone.

Indications there that CMS is a striker. When, where, what's his total for goals scored for us in league games over 3+ years?

Looks like it back to the drawing board in the January transfer window. I hope Burke and co are working on it.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Indications there that CMS is a striker. When, where, what's his total for goals scored for us in league games over 3+ years?

Looks like it back to the drawing board in the January transfer window. I hope Burke and co are working on it.

Burke and Co will probably be looking to cash in on Lewis Dunk over searching for a striker that might actually be able to score goals

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here