Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
If he gets 20 goals this season playing up front on his own, in the style we play, quite frankly it will be a remarkable effort by him.

I still rate him highly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If he gets 20 goals this season playing up front on his own, in the style we play, quite frankly it will be a remarkable effort by him.

I still rate him highly.
I still think, in this league, with this set up, 20+ is the new 36.

So I totally agree Marshy.

David Baboulene

Windy Bloke
Jan 1, 2013
Brighton
CMS is a fine player. His problem is that BHA are now set up all wrong for him. All the creativity comes from Bridge and LuaLua piling down the left, Buckley and Bruno down the right. This means the crosses are coming in... and CMS is not the man for that kind of delivery. He needs the approach play through the middle, turning his defender and beating him for speed on to balls into the channels. Dobbie is looking for the same feeds. So we won't have an effective balance until either we start playing in an Arsenal/Barca (or more realistically, Watford) style through the middle of the park and using the channels, OR getting a Glen Murray old school style centre forward or two who can get on the end of the crosses. Given the fantastic wing play we are now capable of, I would suggest the latter.

Windy B
Seminars Home

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
CMS is a fine player. His problem is that BHA are now set up all wrong for him. All the creativity comes from Bridge and LuaLua piling down the left, Buckley and Bruno down the right. This means the crosses are coming in... and CMS is not the man for that kind of delivery. He needs the approach play through the middle, turning his defender and beating him for speed on to balls into the channels. Dobbie is looking for the same feeds. So we won't have an effective balance until either we start playing in an Arsenal/Barca (or more realistically, Watford) style through the middle of the park and using the channels, OR getting a Glen Murray old school style centre forward or two who can get on the end of the crosses. Given the fantastic wing play we are now capable of, I would suggest the latter.

Windy B
Seminars Home
Teams like Watford beat us because our central defence gets overwhelmed, so in effect cleared and tackled balls
from one player can in a lot of cases rebound to another attacking player giving another opportunity for a shot or killer pass,...... we dont have that, we ping a ball in CMS's general direction, he often has nobody to lay it off to, but if he is tackled or the ball is cleared, it rarely falls to one of our other supposed attacking players, ... ball lost.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Teams like Watford beat us because our central defence gets overwhelmed, so in effect cleared and tackled balls
from one player can in a lot of cases rebound to another attacking player giving another opportunity for a shot or killer pass,...... we dont have that, we ping a ball in CMS's general direction, he often has nobody to lay it off to, but if he is tackled or the ball is cleared, it rarely falls to one of our other supposed attacking players, ... ball lost.

But, when it has fallen to our players, either from pull backs or from mis-hit clearances, our player invariably blazes the shot over the bar.

throbinson

Feb 18, 2009
Shropshire
In a season where the whole team are missing chances you want to sell our leading goalscorer this season so far. Have a word with yourselfs

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
His shots to goals is one of the best in the league, but has missed three sitters and can't bring other players into the game.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
In a season where the whole team are missing chances you want to sell our leading goalscorer this season so far. Have a word with yourselfs
There are many that dont subscribe to that, but sadly many more who have openly said they want to retain Barnes at the cost of selling CMS,... that my friend is madness.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
There are many that dont subscribe to that, but sadly many more who have openly said they want to retain Barnes at the cost of selling CMS,... that my friend is madness.

Has anyone actually said that they want Barnes to stay instead of CMS? As if there's a choice where you can only have one of the two? That makes no sense in so many ways, not least the fact that the play different roles in the team. Besides, its not like Norwich have phoned up and said "We want CMS or Barnes: PICK"

To be honest, I think I would be very sad to see CMS go because when it works for him, it REALLY works and he looks utterly brilliant. As I said before, Barnes and CMS both add value to the team but in different ways but if CMS goes would I ease my broken heart knowing we got a whopping great fee? I think I would.

David Baboulene

Windy Bloke
Jan 1, 2013
Brighton

Exactly right, but you have to ask why do our central defenders get overwhelmed? The problems stem from central midfield. We have a selection of decent creative midfielders, but they all seem endlessly out of position. For me, the key problem is that we have no holding midfielder who sits in front of the back four and marshals the midfield. I'm often amazed at the space ahead of Greer as teams bear down on us (as Watford) and I wonder where on earth the midfielders have all gone?! As discussed above, they didn't seem to be available to help CMS when he was toiling alone in the box, and now the opposition has turned us and the central midfielders are nowhere to be seen in the other direction! Zola noticed this, and in the second half Watford started working directly through the middle. Goals resulted immediately. Opposing teams seem to find it easy to find space in the places you'd like to find a defensive midfielder.

Windy B
Seminars Home

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Exactly right, but you have to ask why do our central defenders get overwhelmed? The problems stem from central midfield. We have a selection of decent creative midfielders, but they all seem endlessly out of position. For me, the key problem is that we have no holding midfielder who sits in front of the back four and marshals the midfield. I'm often amazed at the space ahead of Greer as teams bear down on us (as Watford) and I wonder where on earth the midfielders have all gone?! As discussed above, they didn't seem to be available to help CMS when he was toiling alone in the box, and now the opposition has turned us and the central midfielders are nowhere to be seen in the other direction! Zola noticed this, and in the second half Watford started working directly through the middle. Goals resulted immediately. Opposing teams seem to find it easy to find space in the places you'd like to find a defensive midfielder.

Windy B
Seminars Home

Bridcutt?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Exactly right, but you have to ask why do our central defenders get overwhelmed? The problems stem from central midfield. We have a selection of decent creative midfielders, but they all seem endlessly out of position. For me, the key problem is that we have no holding midfielder who sits in front of the back four and marshals the midfield.

No holding midfielder? Are you mental?

Sometimes we have THREE!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

David Baboulene

Windy Bloke
Jan 1, 2013
Brighton
If they are holding midfielders, where are they?! Bridcutt is a fine player and is the closest we have, but he's better going forwards than defending, just like the rest of the midfield options. Are you telling me there aren't massive spaces in front of the central defence time and again? We might have three according to their labels but they are often found out of position.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Normally because they are 20 yards away when he gets the ball....

To be fair, if you were playing up front with CMS, you'd soon learn to hang about around 20 yards away, because that's where his first touch usually sends it...

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
If they are holding midfielders, where are they?! Bridcutt is a fine player and is the closest we have, but he's better going forwards than defending, just like the rest of the midfield options. Are you telling me there aren't massive spaces in front of the central defence time and again? We might have three according to their labels but they are often found out of position.

Bridcutt is fantastic defensively! He wins headers, makes interceptions, tackles, covers the full backs if they move forward. What more do you want?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here