CMS

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is why so many of our fans are fed up with him.
Do you get more votes than anybody else?
Are so many fed up with CMS personally?

I think @Hans Kray Fan Club put it well yesterday, words to the effect of:-
'unlike Barnes CMS gets mainly love from the fans, we so want him to succeed, and share his frustration'.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
15 goal + a season strikers are not easy to find in the championship and they normally cost a bit.

Careful what you wish for

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
That's f***ing amazing, despite playing 20-odd average to shit games this season, he has still managed to score 10-11 goals. And he cost close to £5m LESS than Rhodes at Blackburn.

Change the record you bore.

Tell that to the Scotland manager.

Er, when they get one.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
CMS scored a very good goal today and by all accounts played well. That does not mean that he has turned into world class striker like some make out. I would still sell him if a decent offer comes in. 1 good game in 10 is just not good enough
But using that logic you should be saying the same about Barnes surely?.... or is he allowed to have only the odd decent game in a dozen, with barely a goal to his name.?

Withdeano

Oct 30, 2010
Horsham
How many clear cut chances has he missed then ???

Not how many shots !!!

How many clear cut chances has CMS missed??

How about the six yard poke v Peterboro which was the worst miss I'd seen at the Withdean until he surpassed it a few weeks later (Forest?) when he managed to miskick from 2 yards out when Kaz put the ball on a plate for him.

He's a decent honest striker who might get 20 goals this season, but will also miss plenty too. I'd wish him well when he goes and be pleased for him when he continues to score elsewhere as he inevitably will

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
CMS is a ridiculously frustrating player. He can score goals that others are simply incapable of scoring, especially the sort that require a large degree of athleticism. However, paradoxically I personally would not trust him to tuck away the most simple of chances. This is why so many of our fans are fed up with him.

His conversion rate of presentable chances must be among the lowest in the league, yet there will be very few players who will have a highlights reel as impressive looking as his. Odd.

Really not sure whether or not we should get rid, but if we do then we need a replacement lined up.

i should hope we would hav a one lined up...we had a gd run b4 he got injured earlier on in season and struggled for the next few matches without him

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
How about the six yard poke v Peterboro which was the worst miss I'd seen at the Withdean until he surpassed it a few weeks later (Forest?) when he managed to miskick from 2 yards out when Kaz put the ball on a plate for him.

He's a decent honest striker who might get 20 goals this season, but will also miss plenty too. I'd wish him well when he goes and be pleased for him when he continues to score elsewhere as he inevitably will

what striker doesnt miss? ..If he gets 20 i would say thats a good return.....others need to take responsibility for scoring as well

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
..... and be pleased for him when he continues to score elsewhere as he inevitably will
Which highlights perhaps that the problem lies with us and our shape/strategy,... dont you think?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Maybe it's time to bounce the Messi misses, thread again.

You are right 2 cracking misses.
But how many 2 division strikers bought for 'only' £2.5m do you know, who never ever miss.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
CMS is not the problem... who is going to play with him is the porblem. Always has been.

He seems to be a different player away from home where he has scored some excellent goals this season. I am not sure that he doesn't find playing in front of the home support at the AMEX a bit more difficult because of all the expectation.

Withdeano

Oct 30, 2010
Horsham
Which highlights perhaps that the problem lies with us and our shape/strategy,... dont you think?

Yes - you're right. I don't think we've ever really played to his strengths and that's why I'd now take the cash while we can still get back what we paid plus perhaps a little more. I think those of us who would sell CMS will acknowledge that he may well score loads for a different team set up to play to his style. BTW - I meant Amex, not Withdean (old habits....)

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
While we do need to strengthen the squad we could end up blowing a huge amount of money on for example a striker who then turns out no better than what we have, especially if we do not play to his strengths. It is the tactics that seem to be key.

OK it was 'only Ipswich' but yesterday showed what can be acheived if CMS gets the closer support that we have all been calling for. It wasn't pefect but our performance was similar to that at Huddersfield and Watford (away) when CMS and Buckley looked so dangerous as a unit and with Orlandi giving them decent service they all caused panic in the opposing defence. We need to do that more often including at The Amex. I think Buckley would have loved playing yesterday.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

He's not the world's best finisher but watch Match of the Day more closely and week-in, week-out you'll see players valued at and paid 5-10x as much who will suffer howlers. It's not really about the ones he misses - it's about how he reacts when he does. Last season his head clearly dropped in the second half of the season and it'd been a bit like that recently too. People getting on his back is only likely to make that worse. His goal return is pretty respectable so far this campaign - if he can boost that ratio a little bit in the latter half of the season, could have a major impact.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
And another thing - have we got another striker capable of giving us a goal threat in games where we're under the cosh? No. I'd love to see more of Hoskins and Dobbie but I just don't think they can cover the ground in the same way or at the same speed CMS does when we're struggling to get midfielders forward in support. So he's our best forward by a distance, currently.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
But using that logic you should be saying the same about Barnes surely?.... or is he allowed to have only the odd decent game in a dozen, with barely a goal to his name.?

I dont think Barnes is good enough either. Ok for a squad player but i wouldn't personally have him in the first 11

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Any club aiming for the play offs, who sell their top scorer in January better have something pretty special lined up. That sort of decision is career suicide for a manager, if it goes wrong.

For once I agree with you.

However, Gus has made it clear that he does NOT want to sell him (or any of the best players at the club for that matter), so I will be very surprised if he goes. My view is that he should stay as, even though he has not been as prolific as we expected, there are not many around that are better than him and if he is good enough for a Prem side to be sniffing around, then he is certainly good enough for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports