Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club statement re Gus *MERGED*

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
maybe we informed his lawyers and reps, but either...

a) they didn't tell him, and were waiting till monday to tell him.
b) they told him and advised him to pretend he didn't know for PR gain.

i am with b, but unless B&B can get hold of phone records and stuff - we will never prove it.

I suspect the club did tell his representatives who in turn told Gus. So, when Gus says he has not been told by the club he is technically not lying.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Let's just wait and see, there might be method behind this apparent madness.

I admire your optimism Mr S. I've got little to no faith in the club ever disclosing the reasoning & methods employed during this sorry episode. :shrug:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
It's most likely all down to pedantics and clever words. The club statement on the website is timed at 7.14, so with MOTD starting at 7.30 one would assume Gus was already at the studio when the statement was released, so it could well be true that the BBC told him "BHA have released a statement stating you've been sacked" to which Gus could truthfully say "I didn't know that". It doesn't mean he didn't know he was sacked.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I can believe he didn't know about the statement coming out. Not sure i can believe he didn't know he was sacked, though I'm not as certain as others on here that just because his representative had been informed that gus must know. I find it easy to believe they would let gus get on with prep for his tv gig rather than disrupt him, perhaps not thinking the statement would come out, or, perhaps expecting it and thinking gus being surprised by it would win sympathy.

As for the club's position, they have now got millions of people to hear them say that they had investigated and followed uk employment laws, and that they ha informed Gus. I can also see, if someone at the club is upset about his public comments, making releasing this statement when he didn't expect it could have been a "how do you like it?!" thing.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
It's most likely all down to pedantics and clever words. The club statement on the website is timed at 7.14, so with MOTD starting at 7.30 one would assume Gus was already at the studio when the statement was released, so it could well be true that the BBC told him "BHA have released a statement stating you've been sacked" to which Gus could truthfully say "I didn't know that". It doesn't mean he didn't know he was sacked.

Like the good old Bill Clinton "I did not have sex *pauses, turns looks away from Monica* With that women"

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Good god there are some knee jerk reactionists on here this evening. Does anyone really give a toss about the hows, whys and wheres of Gus's sacking - Its six of one half a dozen of the other as far as I'm concerned with both sides playing games and trying to garner positive PR and heap negative PR on the other. Its the modern way unfortunately and some people need to give all the mock shock a rest. He's finally gone, i'm glad we can move on and get on with pre season and forget the egotistical tart.

Ozzie Gaz's Blue & white army!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside

Mark wotsisface saying that the statement appeared on the club's website at 8.00 pm. Hmmmmmmm...

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I imagine that Gus has been playing a game all along and refusing to cooperate with the process. He didn't turn up to the first meeting, he has probably refused to respond to the club. All the while he is thinking that if he doesn't play then they'll have to sack him and then he can appeal/sue for compensation.

I hope to god that both parties know what they are doing, because if the club have got it wrong then they'll have to pay a pretty big bill. Equally, if Gus has played the club along, then I expect BHA to royally sue his ass for bringing our club into disrepute.

Either way, it's all very messy. I'm really stunned that the announcement was not out out at 9am in the morning rather than now. And if the club knew that Poyet was likely to play up then it's easy to release an announcement saying that the club will be informing Mr Poyet of their decision n the morning and releasing a statement in the afternoon etc. Basic stuff really.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Good god there are some knee jerk reactionists on here this evening. Does anyone really give a toss about the hows, whys and wheres of Gus's sacking - Its six of one half a dozen of the other as far as I'm concerned with both sides playing games and trying to garner positive PR and heap negative PR on the other. Its the modern way unfortunately and some people need to give all the mock shock a rest. He's finally gone, i'm glad we can move on and get on with pre season and forget the egotistical tart.

Ozzie Gaz's Blue & white army!

Exactly . No big one . Part of Moving on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here