Club statement re Gus *MERGED*

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Whinge, whinge, whinge - players I am really proud of when slagging of lack of investment

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
So it's true?

*waits for Hawkeye appeal*

"You CANNOT be serious"

No. It's not slander or libel or anything of the sort to say you didn't know about it before it was announced. If questioned on it, he'll just say that his representatives hadn't told him.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Maybe not PR suicide. Gus on tv, saying he never knew, or he could have said other incriminating stuff, his lawyers were not with him, the club could have played a blinder.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
A face of someone about to lie?

Presentation2.jpg

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
The club statement says poyet was informed today and yet everyone believes gus and not the club and i dont get it. I have no doubt the club informed at least his representatives and gus was aware before going on air, although he may not have heard direct from the club.

Timing is odd, unless there were concerns over what he would say, it has given him a pr head start

this is correct in my opinion

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
The first line of the Club's statement is pretty categoric '...Gus Poyet was informed today....etc'. Note the words 'was' and 'today' plus it names him rather than his representatives being informed.

The statement was on the Club website at 8pm, so it implies it was before 8pm that Gus was informed, and well ahead of the half time interview. Looks like someone is being mischievous here.

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
If the club hadn't released the statement when they did, and Gus announced that he had been sacked live on TV, a lot of people would be wondering why the club had not released a statement, seems they couldn't win either way.

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
Exactly. Either:
  1. If Gus didn't know, I am disgusted at the treatment of him
  2. If Gus did know, the whole thing is a PR shambles and a management mess.
If I were Tony Bloom and had left this up to others to deal with, I would be furious, whichever were true.

Perfectly put. This just heaps embarrassment on the club, if they are playing games then I wish they would grow up FFS.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
If the club hadn't released the statement when they did, and Gus announced that he had been sacked live on TV, a lot of people would be wondering why the club had not released a statement, seems they couldn't win either way.

If that was the case surely he would have said something at the beginning of the game not at half time

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
"You CANNOT be serious"

No. It's not slander or libel or anything of the sort to say you didn't know about it before it was announced. If questioned on it, he'll just say that his representatives hadn't told him.

*A pedant writes*

That's his representatives. Not Gus.

Edit - important because our statement said GUS had been informed. Not someone he knows.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
maybe we informed his lawyers and reps, but either...

a) they didn't tell him, and were waiting till monday to tell him.
b) they told him and advised him to pretend he didn't know for PR gain.

i am with b, but unless B&B can get hold of phone records and stuff - we will never prove it.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
You can imagine the media juggernaut that is the Evening Argus grinding into action late on a Sunday night and going all out for a scoop on just when and how Poyet was told of his sacking by the Club. Surely a golden opportunity for a sleuth reporter with contacts on the inside to get the word on what really happened.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports