Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club statement re Gus *MERGED*

Phoenix Arrow

Mitoma Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2009
Sverige
Hm.
He was going to go, none of that is interesting or new news at all. I'm no expert on employment law or anything, nothing to say on that.
But this can't be a mistake. Whether or not Gus was told beforehand (I find it impossible to believe he wasn't), someone somewhere decided to put that statement up half an hour before he was due on TV. I don't know whether there was some kind of agreement between Poyets men and the club, whether Poyet was going to say something on air and the club wanted to pre-empt him or whatever the club just wanted to burn him. There is no way any of us can know and it will probably stay that way. Shame, because it really feels like something's going on here.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He does say his representatives have been talking to the club all day. We don't know that Gus's representatives aren't guilty of not passing messages on.

Equally, as we know Gus is an emotive character who doesn't always think before he speaks.....

Alternatively maybe the club have behaved inappropriately and its all true, which, if that is the case is very poor.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Well he's just said it on national TV in front of pretty much all of us. So you're accusing him of libel yes?

LIBEL?! :lolol::wozza:
No, I'm suggesting that this was an arrangement agreed with the club and that it suits Gus far more to say that he had no idea.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
The club statement says poyet was informed today and yet everyone believes gus and not the club and i dont get it. I have no doubt the club informed at least his representatives and gus was aware before going on air, although he may not have heard direct from the club.

Timing is odd, unless there were concerns over what he would say, it has given him a pr head start

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The other point to add is that the club are refuting what the LMA said as well from last week, so perhaps its the LMA who have problems.

One would hope the club is fairly confident of its process and the communication channels are robust. Tomorrow will be interesting!

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I expect the club have informed his legal representatives that he was sacked and I am sure GP knew this before the TV show. It therefore is possible the club have not told him direct that he was sacked and to be honest I would expect all of this to be done between lawyers and not direct. So a fair legal and political spin from Poyet saying he didn't know from the club. He mentioned he had a e mail from the club that he had not read and his legal team were looking at. IMO there is no way Poyet didn't know he had lost his job before club statement. I just don't understand the clubs timing of the announcement knowing he would have 10 mins on national TV to defend himself/play victim. All very strange and sad really.

I think this sums up my thoughts precisely. I also note he said there had been various communications back and forth during the day so it seems a strong possibility both sides were looking for a mutually beneficial outcome right up to the end.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Lawyers play games like this all the time - a lot of divorce petitions are purposely served at the other parties place of work to embarrass and upset them in front of everyone - it's just what they do

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
LIBEL?! :lolol::wozza:
No, I'm suggesting that this was an arrangement agreed with the club and that it suits Gus far more to say that he had no idea.

And I'm suggesting you can't do that live on national tv unless it's true. 30/15

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Crocodile tears from Gus. The Club would not go through all that formal process by the book only to then to look vindictive by announcing the decision whilst he is live on national TV. They have just about kept the moral high ground not only throughout the investigation but also for many weeks beforehand when Gus was making several disloyal comments in the media.

Maybe the interviewer's question to Gus could have been more precisely worded and then categorically repeated. If he denied knowing then he will be very naïve. I imagine the Club will be double checking their own evidence of how and when the decision to sack him was formally communicated to Gus and if it was acknowledged before the TV interview took place.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
I just don't understand the clubs timing of the announcement knowing he would have 10 mins on national TV to defend himself/play victim. All very strange and sad really.

One possible answer is that the clubs hand was forced by Poyet who could have made it clear he would use tv appearance to slam club, process and outcome. Perhaps clubs announcement was simply put out there to clearly state he had been informed of decision. In which case timing does make sense.

Indeed.

I'm sort-of relieved to hear that the club have finally made a decision, but seeing GP on live TV talking about his fresh sacking just sticks a rancid Cherry on the top of this unpleasant & shambolic matter. Absolute bag o' shite.

ps Hope you're doin' ok Ed & the treatment's going well (if you've started it). Glad to see you're back on here keeping tabs on the rabble innit. :wink:
I'm doing fine, thank you, TT.

As for the Gus situation, my concern is that there is a public relations battle going on - and the Club don't seem to be winning it. It could get worse, if the case moves into the courts (or to an employment tribunal) - and everything is pointing towards that happening.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
On the website is says that he was already informed.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Although I believe Gus (or at least his representatives) will have been told beforehand, we've come out looking very very poor. Awful PR from the club

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here