Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club statement re Gus *MERGED*

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Something seems wrong about all this, Gus has only just heard, convenient he is live on tv, if it is true makes the club look really bad and gives him alot of ammunition but not sure if its true to be honest.

I wonder if a manager has ever been sacked while live on tv before.[/QUOTE]

Not exactly but Martin Jol when he was at Spurs supposedly found out at the end of a televised game, I cant remember the exact details.......

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
It was inevitable, but I'm uncomfortable with the timing. It's one of two things, but I can't decide what.

1. The club has been a bit classless with the timing, almost as if we wanted to antagonize and embarrass him.

2. The timing was to pre-empt something that Gus may or may not have planned to say tonight.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Completely deliberate & strategic act to sack him while he's on TV.

Pretty disgusted at this club right now to be honest.

I'm not surprised by your disgust.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Did you watch it?

Anyone who has a degree of empathy can see that he was emotional about the news - and it was not an act.

It was a complete surprise - a deliberate & strategic act by the club.

Yes I watched. Yes it was an act. You always take the opposite opinion from the logical, so I can't say I'm surprised you're jumping on the club.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Did you watch it?

Anyone who has a degree of empathy can see that he was emotional about the news - and it was not an act.

If it was, good that's how I felt when he shot his gob off.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
GP has to be a bit careful, as he might be overestimating his currency, and being a bit naive, as other chairmen will be watching this unfold, and might think twice about employing him ???

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Oooops. Maybe the letter is in the post.................

Golden opportunity for Gus to seize the PR opportunity live on the BBC, so the timing might not be the smartest move by the Club even if Gus is talking bollocks. Let the mud slinging commence.

why would he have been meeting players today a) whilst told not to and b) if he didn't know he was sacked??

I will be careful what I say given my views about the clubs comms approach so far. The club must have known he was on tv tonight - basically there must be a million people watching him and even if the club turn round tomorrow and say 'he knew, he's talking bullcrap' very few of them will read it.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Did you watch it?

I'm not sure about this. It was probably more that they wanted it concluded before the players reported back tomorrow, which is why they released a statement tonight. There is a possibility that they did try and contact Gus first, but as he was live on TV I imagine his phone was switched off. Very poor timing though.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If we told his agent say an hour ago, he'd have been live on TV and thus not got it. You surely wouldn't have your phone on you if working IF you were proffessional.........

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
If Gus is being mischievous then that TV interview will be handy evidence in the event he goes through with the appeal. Because if he did know he was toast but denied it on national TV he will have knowingly painted the Club in bad light (again) and his chances of a pay off will disappear. I wonder if his 'representatives' were watching and what their reaction was?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here