Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Club statement re ESL - SPOT ON.

White Fan man

Oct 25, 2020
And they can't go running to the European Courts to complain either!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Our leeds podcast the square ball had it spot on this morning. They said this breakwaway is due to Leicester, not only winning the league recently but competing for CL places. Also made the point of who did better out of the Harry Maguire transfer. Leicester rebuilt half their team. Leicester, who Leeds want to emulate in terns of how a club is run, are a well-run club that don't go into debt.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It’s already out.......

By Alan Pace, Chairman of Burnley Football Club

Dear supporters,

A breakaway Super League should never have happened, but this is about much more than club self-interest and is an example of how the governance of football in this country and throughout Europe needs to be reformed.

The six Premier League clubs taking this step have turned their back on our moral duty as custodians of the game to protect English football and, the spirit of the sport, at all costs.

Weak governance has led us to this point.

Therefore, today I am calling on Boris Johnson and Oliver Dowden to follow their welcome intervention and now appoint an independent regulator to protect English football with legislation.

As a former financier, I understand the commercial considerations for these clubs and can appreciate their frustration at being the largest revenue drivers for the UEFA Champions League, without receiving the same levels of influence and reward.

However, this is a move which does not treat fans or the game’s history with the respect it deserves and is not the solution.

We need to ensure that football is protected. The game is bigger than all of us, and its future cannot be compromised by self-interest.

The contempt the proposals have received was inevitable.

It is truly a shame that it has come to this. We are the greatest league in the world and we can do more to bring people together and set the path forward for all and not just the few.

We have a responsibility to all that have come before us and all those who will follow in the wider game.

While we too at Burnley have ambitious plans to grow the club’s revenues, those plans have always been on the back of performance, both on and off the pitch, and not artificial protectionism.

As my business partners and I have now been working and living in Burnley for several months and are in the process of moving permanently to the area, I would greatly encourage my fellow chairmen to walk the streets around their local communities and get to know them personally, rather than creating more distance between themselves and fans.

This is also why I invite No10, the Government and the Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport to now legislate.

Ultimately, we need a strong regulator in the style of OFTEL or OFCOM to protect and build the interests of English football.

It’s time to do things differently!

Over the coming days, I will be working hard alongside my fellow club owners and governing bodies to fight these proposals and find a solution to improved football governance in this country.

I welcome initial noises coming from the UK Government and encourage them to provide strong leadership on these proposals, given their seismic impact on the UK’s cultural landscape.

Yours, in Football

Alan Pace

Yep.

Bored now.

I think I was right first time - one statement from the 14. Pointless having 14 chairman offereing their own nuanced proposals. That's dilution of the solution.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm no lawyer mate, but this isn't my understanding. Any administrative decision they make as I understand it can be judicially reviewed and overturned if the court finds they are acting arbitrarily. If there's someone in the field who knows i'm wrong, i'd be very happy to be so.

Why do you think the Chelsea owner is spending his days sailing up and down the med? Because we won't let him in. This country has an absolute right to bar any foreigner it likes (from outside the EU before Brexit, and from inside it as well now) for no stated reason without the person having any right of appeal.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I agree.

A minority of commentators on NSC are giving far too much credit to the 12 for their brilliant and irresistable plan, and the power of their wealth and influence, and the impossibility of mere seaweeds like us standing up to the incoming tide.

Bollocks. The plan was spilled with insufficient planning in response to the announcement of mainstream initiatives. It looks like an embarrassing cock up to me. Stand by for a frenzy of backtracking....

Totally agree.

There’s been a huge misjudgement here from the greedy six. They probably expected a level of criticism I’m sure, but not the full universal outrage even in their own fanbase. Let alone across Europe, even from Government level.

It’s terrible PR and whilst the Yanks can probably deal with that, Abramovic and The City owners especially are notoriously quite sensitive to how they’re portrayed to their fans and to this country, and are very careful about their reputation. I would not be surprised one bit if they’re examining their options right now,

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Why do you think the Chelsea owner is spending his days sailing up and down the med? Because we won't let him in. This country has an absolute right to bar any foreigner it likes (from outside the EU before Brexit, and from inside it as well now) for no stated reason without the person having any right of appeal.

He was denied a visa because of his ties with Putin and a wider diplomatic wrangle

It's a wholly different thing to deny entry because you're trying to stymie an unpopular football competition.

I think the pirate 6's lawyers will be on this.

Not through the any appeals process, but via judicial review. In essence, that the decision was made for a capricious reason. Again, happy to be told i'm wrong by a professional, I don't work in the field, just listen to a bit of radio 4.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's interesting to contrast the tone of the Everton statement and the Albion one.

Rather than being critical of the ESL idea in principle, Everton are far more scathing in their naming and condemnation of the Big Six for letting everybody down. I suspect that if there is a proposal to expel the Big Six from the Prem it will be the likes of them, Villa, West Ham and Leeds who will lead the way.

I wonder if that's because at one time they used to BE one of the 'Big Six'. Or indeed the 'Big Five' as it was at the time of the PL breakaway. In those days the Big Five were Man U, Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal and Spurs. No Man City and no Chelsea who both came to the party later once they'd acquired mega-wealthy owners. Now they're on the outside with their noses pressed against the window and they're extremely bitter about it. Far more so than us who wouldn't ever expect to be involved.

EDIT: I see Papa Lazarou also made a similar point. No need to reply to me as well :)
(And my response would be the same as his.)

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Love it, except for the typo in the last line.

Agreed. Also the reference to 'all-party opposition in government' when of course it should have said 'parliament.' But apart from lessons in spelling and constitutional law, spot on :)

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
"The efforts to create a closed-shop for all but the largest clubs..."

Erm, they didn't mean that, did they?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Yep.

Bored now.

I think I was right first time - one statement from the 14. Pointless having 14 chairman offereing their own nuanced proposals. That's dilution of the solution.

I would think there will be joint statement tonight after the meting of the 14.

I'd love it would be something along the lines of F**k right off, but it won't be of course.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Steve Parrish was equally lilly livered on Sky last night when it actually came to what are they going to do with the 6. You just know they are going to get a watered down version of what they want. I think the best strategy would absolutely be hard ball. The `14 really do hold all the aces and without domestic football the 6 would die very very quickly.

I wrote a letter to Mr Barber this morning. In it, I suggested my biggest concern was compromise. Now is not the time for compromise. If you try to negotiate with these ******** they will take everything they can.

Now is the time to get ahead of the game. The Big Six think they are in charge. Surprise them. Wrestle back first mover advantage.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Any reason you missed out Essex born Daniel Levy?

no particular reason no ....he's one of 6 and i doubt it's his idea although he's probably in it up to his onions , wouldn't it be funny if , after all the bollox the people in control have put us through over the last 14 months the straw that finally broke the camels back was a dozen billionaire ****whitts trying to take the peoples game away .....bring it on , smash the system , eat the rich .....enough is enough.....!!!!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Good as an interim holding statement before the meeting of the remaining 14 today - calm and open to discussion. I'm hoping the statement from the collective 14 will be far more hard hitting and threatening.

Here's the PL statement:

"The Premier League, alongside The FA, met with clubs today to discuss the immediate implications of the Super League proposal.

The 14 clubs at the meeting unanimously and vigorously rejected the plans for the competition. The Premier League is considering all actions available to prevent it from progressing, as well as holding those shareholders involved to account under its rules.

The League will continue to work with key stakeholders including fan groups, government, Uefa, The FA, EFL, PFA and LMA to protect the best interests of the game and call on those clubs involved in the proposed competition to cease their involvement immediately.

The Premier League would like to thank fans and all stakeholders for the support they have shown this week on this significant issue. The reaction proves just how much our open pyramid and football community means to people."

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I wrote a letter to Mr Barber this morning. In it, I suggested my biggest concern was compromise. Now is not the time for compromise. If you try to negotiate with these ******** they will take everything they can.

Now is the time to get ahead of the game. The Big Six think they are in charge. Surprise them. Wrestle back first mover advantage.

Did you contact him via a generic club email? The more people who let their opinions be heard the better. He obviously shares our opposition to all this but we should let him know how vociferously.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
we aren't one of the filthy few are we ...?? no point pestering him is there...??

Personally I think the bigger picture on this is that even if the ESL idea gets binned we need better regulation in our sport to make sure something like this couldnt happen again, and off the back of this the 14 Prem clubs who opposed ESL & everyone else in the below leagues should come together to make sure that regulation is fought for. It is on that point that i'd say there is benefit to making sure our voice is heard.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Personally I think the bigger picture on this is that even if the ESL idea gets binned we need better regulation in our sport to make sure something like this couldnt happen again, and off the back of this the 14 Prem clubs who opposed ESL & everyone else in the below leagues should come together to make sure that regulation is fought for. It is on that point that i'd say there is benefit to making sure our voice is heard.

i think they (ESL) are just testing the water ......it will take years to thrash out the details , meanwhile if i were in the UK i'd be starting a campaign to boycott the Caroboa and F.A cup finals 2000 here 15 000 there ....**** em , time to show them we're not all cow towing dumb ****s , we've lasted a season without going to a match , 2 games won't hurt .....**** em ....**** em all.

SCassidy

Dec 2, 2020
Paul Barber was just on the BBC News Channel speaking to Reeta Chakrabarti. He was absolutely spot on!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He was denied a visa because of his ties with Putin and a wider diplomatic wrangle

It's a wholly different thing to deny entry because you're trying to stymie an unpopular football competition.

I think the pirate 6's lawyers will be on this.

Not through the any appeals process, but via judicial review. In essence, that the decision was made for a capricious reason. Again, happy to be told i'm wrong by a professional, I don't work in the field, just listen to a bit of radio 4.

Lol! Better informed than me then - I'm a 5-live man :wink:

Yes you are probably right that lawyers would be all over it, but we do have the right to block entry into the UK of any foreign national for any reason. It can probably be appealed on gounds of natural justice or whatever, but the outcome is not certain. And consider Percy Tau. He was not allowed a work permit in the UK because the UK decided that being a South African international was not sufficient to let him 'take the job of a Brit'. In other words, arbitrary old bollocks based on whim. Yet he was not treated this way in Belgium. It could be messy but if HMG gets involved it could be more messy than the lawyers of the six dicks would wish. Hope so, anyway :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here