Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Club statement re ESL - SPOT ON.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I'm not interested in seeing these clubs receive harsh words. It's not the clubs as such, it's the greedy foreign tossers running them. Once this ESL has been defeated, it's time to insist on new rules that ban people like these from owning clubs. It is probably time to look at the German model and implement something similar.

Actually I think that is the only long term solution. Football has tried appeasement but it only ‘works’ for a few years. The German model has meant zero participation from German clubs in the ESL. Let’s change this game forever and outflank the billionaires.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Its ok.

Not so keen on this line -

"We remain open to a transparent, calm and rationale dialogue with all clubs to achieve this"

Of course it has to be that way but would like to see harder words and actions against the 6.

*rational

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
A very considered statement which blends recognition of being 'custodians of our clubs' with anger regarding the 'clear lack of respect' shown in 'clandestine attempts from a small group'.

It's as damning and dismissive as it can be whilst remaining professional.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Statements like this and the one issued by Everton are precisely what we need. They are also memoranda that we as fans must use in the future to hold our custodians to account. What is needed is a statement like this that every club can sign up to.

EzZ5albXIAQHXAg.jpg

EzZ5aldX0AAVGy8.jpg

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Actually I think that is the only long term solution. Football has tried appeasement but it only ‘works’ for a few years. The German model has meant zero participation from German clubs in the ESL. Let’s change this game forever and outflank the billionaires.

This.

The government's root and branch review has to consider options like this. This would be opposed by our own board who would not want to dilute their own shareholding, although if every club were forced to do so, they might be more open.

As to UEFA, it, like FIFA, needs disbanding and rebuilding. It's amazing how they can only hand out a 10 match ban for racism and yet they are ready to throw clubs out the moment their money is threatened.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Its ok.

Not so keen on this line -

"We remain open to a transparent, calm and rationale dialogue with all clubs to achieve this"

Of course it has to be that way but would like to see harder words and actions against the 6.

Steve Parrish was equally lilly livered on Sky last night when it actually came to what are they going to do with the 6. You just know they are going to get a watered down version of what they want. I think the best strategy would absolutely be hard ball. The `14 really do hold all the aces and without domestic football the 6 would die very very quickly.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Classic Paul Barber. Slightly overwordy, bordering on the sanctimonious but ultimately spot on.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Steve Parrish was equally lilly livered on Sky last night when it actually came to what are they going to do with the 6. You just know they are going to get a watered down version of what they want. I think the best strategy would absolutely be hard ball. The `14 really do hold all the aces and without domestic football the 6 would die very very quickly.
Yes, the '6' are seeing what they can get away with. When they said things like "this is not a ploy, we have signed contracts" it's clear it is a negotiating tactic. They're seeing how far they can go and hope UEFA meet them in the middle.

Offering concessions to them will just encourage them further.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Yes, the '6' are seeing what they can get away with. When they said things like "this is not a ploy, we have signed contracts" it's clear it is a negotiating tactic. They're seeing how far they can go and hope UEFA meet them in the middle.

Offering concessions to them will just encourage them further.

Already happening

UEFA now saying its not to late for them to sit down and talk and work out etc.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
coverage of this affair has been back to back on sky. I do wonder if the execs at sky are quaking in their boots given how important the top 6 are to viewing figures and therefore subscriptions. This Live Football is the very essence of their business model and it is no wonder why they are so passionately laying into the plans. If the Super 6 idea does go ahead they may be forced into buying up a package to simply operate as normal and then they will look very hypercritical.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's interesting to contrast the tone of the Everton statement and the Albion one.

Rather than being critical of the ESL idea in principle, Everton are far more scathing in their naming and condemnation of the Big Six for letting everybody down. I suspect that if there is a proposal to expel the Big Six from the Prem it will be the likes of them, Villa, West Ham and Leeds who will lead the way.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Good stuff.

I honestly believe as well that English and European football will carry on regardless without the circus globetrotters - but there will be some short term pain ( perhaps a couple of high value player sales at the albion ).

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
It is unworkable that the 6 teams play in the ESL and PL/CL in its current format. It just cannot logistically work. The CL is not just going to concede and disappear, so it'll be one or the other. The way I see it is either they get their wish to play in the ESL but its bye bye from everything else, or they scrap the ESL plans entirely, or there's some kind of merger middle ground between CL/ESL (which would be terrible as no doubt it'll mean the 6 clubs get their wish for more money).

But one things for sure, BHAFC will still exist. I will still support my team. I will still enjoy going to games with my dad & enjoy the social aspects of it as I have done for the last 25 years. If the ESL happens and it means some kind of restructuring to the PL (maybe with less money involved) then I will see what those 6 teams have done as shameful but I will continue to enjoy supporting my club.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Excellent. And none of this 'chuck them out' rubbish.
Agreed, although I would want them chucked out if they actually went ahead with the new league. That result should be made extremely clear.

The owners of the 'big 6' need to know that the name of their clubs is bigger than their investment.

We need those teams back in the fold. We need their owners to **** off.
Yes it would be good if their owners ****ed off, and it would be good if the clubs were back in the fold, but I wouldn't say we need them. Football in this country is so much bigger than them. Many of us were quite happy watching football in the Championship. Watching us play in the PL without those 6 clubs would be better than watching us in the Championship.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It is unworkable that the 6 teams play in the ESL and PL/CL in its current format. It just cannot logistically work. The CL is not just going to concede and disappear, so it'll be one or the other. The way I see it is either they get their wish to play in the ESL but its bye bye from everything else, or they scrap the ESL plans entirely, or there's some kind of merger middle ground between CL/ESL (which would be terrible as no doubt it'll mean the 6 clubs get their wish for more money).

But one things for sure, BHAFC will still exist. I will still support my team. I will still enjoy going to games with my dad & enjoy the social aspects of it as I have done for the last 25 years. If the ESL happens and it means some kind of restructuring to the PL (maybe with less money involved) then I will see what those 6 teams have done as shameful but I will continue to enjoy supporting my club.

I think it's workable and this is what will happen.

They'll just run squads of 40 or so players, which they will be able to do with all the money.

I think it will become normal for the same club to be playing different matches at the same time.

Rinkmaster

Oct 1, 2020
Newhaven
Even if the six back down they will keep trying in the future this is not going to go away any time soon. There will always be innocent victims ie the players

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I think it's workable and this is what will happen.

They'll just run squads of 40 or so players, which they will be able to do with all the money.

I think it will become normal for the same club to be playing different matches at the same time.

Except that for the EPL you have to name 25 players (not 40). So effectively you end up with an A team and a B team. The A team would presumably play in the ESL, and the B team in the Premier League. That doesn't sound a workable solution to me!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here