Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Club Recruitment

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
No doubt Dan Ashworth has some outstanding young England-qualified striker up his sleeve.

Meanwhile, week after week Potter says there is more to come from our existing squad. All I can add to that is that there had better be.

More what to come? comedy defending, lacklustre displays, firing blanks!

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
We persist with this narrow, play it through them system, that just isnt working, no width, no aerial presence up front.

We certainly do. You would almost think we are good at it ! Can’t remember many killer balls from midfield that our strikers raced onto a slotted it pass the keeper. Even when we adventure wide we have have some ankle bitting midgets waiting for a cross that’s usually way off target.

Seems like we have to sense of identity attacking and have also lost our defensive shape. Pretty passing doesn’t win games clean sheets and goals do Graham.

mashman156

Aug 7, 2009
Southampton
If we compare this season to the previous 2 then I see the gains and losses as follows:

Gains: Dan Burn an upgrade on Bernardo. Mooy an upgrade on Bissouma, Trossard an upgrade on Knockaert, Maupay an upgrade on Andone. Improvements from Ali J and Gross, Connolly's emergence a bonus. More possession, more shots on goals, we give it a go. Discipline better.

Losses: Loss of Bruno huge - RB a problem area. Webster a downgrade on Duffy - Duffy/Dunk was the heart of the side. Murray - fallen off a cliff, game over. Overall, a loss of leadership, nous and inspiration.

So the gains outweigh the losses, and yet the losses in themselves are bigger. Bringing back Duffy is a must, a striker is a must and a right-back would be nice.
Pretty much perfectly summed up!

I'd add however that we need someone in the centre of the park to grab the game by the short and curlys and get stuck in, bomb forward to support the striker. For me the midfield is as important as the CF. Both needed as a matter of urgency.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
We were seriously mugged with Webster

We were considering our own centre back playing in the Championship is now valued higher than what we paid for Webster who wasn’t needed as only really require 1 centre back to bring ball out from defence and Dunk is that man.
Burn & Balogun could have covered central defence adequately like they’ve done since last season

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Just where exactly are all these brilliant forwards everyone is saying we should sign?
I've just looked in my shed and there ain't any in there.

Exactly. Clubs aren't going to sell a proven premier league striker unless it's to a Big 6 Club paying far more in fees and wages than we can realistically afford.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Time to bring these lads back to keep us up:

Lloyd+Owusu+Brighton+Hove+Albion+v+Stockport+wmO3sYzExGul.jpg

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
It wouldn't actually suprise me if Tony cuts his losses now and doesn't make any signings as the odds of staying up even with new players are starting to to look pretty long.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
It wouldn't actually suprise me if Tony cuts his losses now and doesn't make any signings as the odds of staying up even with new players are starting to to look pretty long.

You could be right, we'll see in 10 days.... Without a goalscorer who can hit the ground running, we're as good as gone. There's not 3 worse teams than us, and all the others around us are moving in the market to reinforce.

mashman156

Aug 7, 2009
Southampton
No point throwing money away unless of course you’re giving away extended contracts

This. What is the point in investing and demonstrating that level of support for a manager in terms of his contract and not then support him with the tools to do the job he needs to. Significant squad improvement needed

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
I have a feeling it's down to budget, we have spent a lot on players for the future, how many have come close to making the first team?
I can see us Selling Dunk in the summer, Ben White being his replacement, then use the money to reinforce the rest of the squad.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
The laughable thing is how we all lambast Palace for throwing huge money at players who are too old and yet there they are again comfortably staying up whilst our smart approach of investing in the future on unheard of useless overseas noddy league players is about to cost us £140m in lost prem league income. To think they have Cahill and we have spunked £20m on Webster which we will never recoup.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
FLAWED

For almost 3 years:

1. Where’s the RB with pace who can actually defend every match? Montoya’s loved by a few NSC’ers, but even Potter’s stopped playing him.

2, Strikers - nuff said.

3, Pace and power in CM for counter attacking, genuine pace out wide for counter attacking - virtually none.

4. Gathering new CB’s, none convincing at actually defending for 90 minutes.

5. Gathering small, lightweight and/or very slow technicians. Much of a muchness, other than Mooy none consistently playing with quality, many games pass the others by when they face combative midfield 5’s.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
I have a feeling it's down to budget, we have spent a lot on players for the future, how many have come close to making the first team?
I can see us Selling Dunk in the summer, Ben White being his replacement, then use the money to reinforce the rest of the squad.

The fact we've cut White's loan deal short and compensated Leeds for that suggests that Dunk might be sold in January to free up funds to strengthen the squad. The question is whether we have the players lined up to sign in January. We're rapidly running out of time.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Does anyone have results / stats when Duffy has played ? I honestly can't fathom why he doesn't play

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here