Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club legend world cup

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If people didn't vote on who they had seen then Charlie Webb would win hands down. I didn't know quite how long he was manager. Add in the Charity Shield winning goal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Webb

I love the quote - A Guardian retrospective on the club, written in 1973, described how "Brighton had a skilful team usually playing to the top six" under Webb, "whose transfer acquisitions were as often as not costed on the price of his train ticket and buffet sandwiches"

Webb is really the clear winner: player, manager and, I believe, secretary too. He was with the club for nearly 40 years - there can't have been many greater servants of any club. He's certainly the only player on the list who's been called Mr Brighton.

Quite honestly it should be Webb first and the rest nowhere ... but we know it won't be

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Mickey Adams (mk I) - after the war years, he came in, led us back to Brighton and built a side that made Brighton smile for footballing reasons again. It had been a long time.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

I had NEVER heard of him before he signed here, and shortly after he did I was in Spain for a week, and no Spanish I spoke to had either.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

They either had no interest in football at all, or just no interest in discussing it with you!

Vicente played 40 times for Spain, and over 300 times in the most successful period in Valencia's history, winning the league twice and the UEFA Cup (he scored in the final, for good measure).

Watching him play for the Albion was amazing. The buzz around the ground just because word spread that he was actually going to play, or even be on the bench, tells you everything about how special he was.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hahahahahahahahahahaha

They either had no interest in football at all, or just no interest in discussing it with you!

Vicente played 40 times for Spain, and over 300 times in the most successful period in Valencia's history, winning the league twice and the UEFA Cup (he scored in the final, for good measure).

Watching him play for the Albion was amazing. The buzz around the ground just because word spread that he was actually going to play, or even be on the bench, tells you everything about how special he was.
Probably just the Inglés pronunciation of Vicente.

They had no idea who he was talking about !

:)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

I had NEVER heard of him before he signed here, and shortly after he did I was in Spain for a week, and no Spanish I spoke to had either.

Schoolboy error clearly, did you call him Vincente? There is no way any Spanish football fan had not heard of Vicente at the time he signed for us.

I spoke to Spanish friend about him at the time. His response was "fabulous player but injury prone and a bit mental"

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Stockdale
Bruno
Foster
Lawrenson
Bridge
Knockaert
Case
Horton