[Albion] Club Brugge reportedly interested in Steven Alzate

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Feel for Alzate. Seems for the second season running his future has been left in limbo until the last minute. Doesn't seem to be a plan for him like we usually have for others.
Yeh, we've cocked this one up.

Lessons should be learned as we want to continue to attract top players

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Has he been left in limbo ? Or just not been able to get a deal done quickly for him ?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Latest reports are that he's on his way back to Standard Liege - for a loan, possibly til January only.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Has he been left in limbo? Or just not been able to get a deal done quickly for him?
Yes he has. Three months ago it was reported tat several clubs, both in the Championship and abroad, were interested in him. Last week there was interest form the PL too (Wolves and Everton apparantly) - yet deadline day comes and goes, and it looks like he's being shipped off to the club he went to last season after a good loan for him (to West Brom?) was cocked-up on deadline day.
And even that looks like being a touch and go last minute dash! What is it with this lad that he keeps getting f**ked about?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yes he has. Three months ago it was reported tat several clubs, both in the Championship and abroad, were interested in him. Last week there was interest form the PL too (Wolves and Everton apparantly) - yet deadline day comes and goes, and it looks like he's being shipped off to the club he went to last season after a good loan for him (to West Brom?) was cocked-up on deadline day.
And even that looks like being a touch and go last minute dash! What is it with this lad that he keeps getting f**ked about?
Again. you don't know if there have been any concrete offers - most transfer reporting is as you know stuff and nothing, you don't know if he or his agent wanted to either stay at the Albion or where their preferred club or country was . Why the desire to paint it as a cock up and finger point ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

So he’s not been left in limbo, it’s clear he’s been allowed to leave. Between all parties a club just hasn’t been found

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Again. you don't know if there have been any concrete offers - most transfer reporting is as you know stuff and nothing, you don't know if he or his agent wanted to either stay at the Albion or where their preferred club or country was . Why the desire to paint it as a cock up and finger point ?
No - and I never said I knew anything. I looked at a series of facts (deadline day failure last year and last minute scramble and standing still career-wise move with this year's loan) and making reasonable speculations for discussion on a fans' message board - including the possibility (not acceptable to you, and must be vigorously opposed of course) that the club might might not have quite lived up to the normal excellence we have come to expect from Albion's every move!

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I’d rather he stays personally. With all the extra games this season if we start to pick up a few injuries, we may be pleased we have him ,

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
No - and I never said I knew anything. I looked at a series of facts (deadline day failure last year and last minute scramble and standing still career-wise move with this year's loan) and making reasonable speculations for discussion on a fans' message board - including the possibility (not acceptable to you, and must be vigorously opposed of course) that the club might might not have quite lived up to the normal excellence we have come to expect from Albion's every move!
Its fine. you think its a cock up. I don't .

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I’d rather he stays personally. With all the extra games this season if we start to pick up a few injuries, we may be pleased we have him ,
he might still stay - time is running out to do a deal . RDZ talked about the possibility in the press conference pre Newcastle. But its difficult now Baleba is in the frame let alone all his other options in the middle - Gilmour's form for example. and Milner, Dahoud, Lallana, and Gross all looking for gametime. - even with a possible 60 game season.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We wouldn't have even considered offers until Baleba signed. Anything you saw before then is guess work.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
How is Alzate moving back to a club he played for last season standing still career wise?

He’s going somewhere he knows, where he had a decent season, playing with players and coaches he knows and trusts. Maybe that’s his preferred destination.

He wouldn’t have been moving anywhere until we signed Baleba so any other moves mooted were either guess work, or clubs that may have been interested but got told no and moved on to other targets. So once we landed our target the potential moves no longer existed for Alzate.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Suspect the situation with Alzate and deals being done very late is that he's seen as being good enough to be a squad player if we need him, but not good enough to demand that we keep him if we have others to fill the squad. Hence his deals only being done very late - he's kept close until RDZ / the club are confident we've got the players we need in midfield and only then does he get put in the window.

Sounds like it'll be a half season loan this time? If so, I'm guessing that's to make sure he's available to bring back either to fill a gap in the squad (if, say, Baleba flops or there's injuries) or to sell on permanently (eg if Baleba proves to be brilliant).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Suspect the situation with Alzate and deals being done very late is that he's seen as being good enough to be a squad player if we need him, but not good enough to demand that we keep him if we have others to fill the squad. Hence his deals only being done very late - he's kept close until RDZ / the club are confident we've got the players we need in midfield and only then does he get put in the window.

Sounds like it'll be a half season loan this time? If so, I'm guessing that's to make sure he's available to bring back either to fill a gap in the squad (if, say, Baleba flops or there's injuries) or to sell on permanently (eg if Baleba proves to be brilliant).
It'll be the latter of those two. RDZ doesn't fancy him (or, to be slightly more precise, ranks him lowest of our current CMs) and, if we've got problems in CM in Jan and we're still in cup competitions, then the best option will be to get more cover in.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Leave Paul alone, he's got an OBE and everything

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Good enough to be a squad player but not a regular starter which isn’t what he wants at this stage of his career. His contract expires at the end of the season so a loan until January makes sense by which time Liege (who may not have the cash available right now) either stump up a permanent transfer fee or an alternative destination is sought. Everyone’s interests looked after.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We wouldn't have even considered offers until Baleba signed. Anything you saw before then is guess work.
There was interest. Nobody said anything about offers (including me). So (a question I should probably ask CJ as well (if I dared!)) is, what part of this seaon's transfer window and what part of last seasons transfer window got Alzate thinking, 'Wow! That's fantastic - everything's hunky-dory, couldn't be better, my career is progressing by leaps and bounds'?
Hmmmmm ..... or maybe not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports