Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Club affiliation National team loyalty ?

Rinkmaster

Oct 1, 2020
Newhaven
My interest in England has waned since the 66 World Cup win. Was born in Hertfordshire but moved at 18 down to Sussex. Stayed here till early 2000's then lived in Dundee for 15 yrs. Always looked for brighton results even when in Scotland even though we lived right alongside Dundee utd ground couldn't get motivated to be a supporter since we came back to Sussex we are proud season ticket holders and no one else but brighton matters

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
Growing up in Scotland in the 80s I never felt the need to pick an English team, although a lot of my friends chose Liverpool, and not just the Celtic supporters. Football didn't interest me much: the live variety on offer in Galashiels was... poor and there wasn't a lot on TV.

I was aware that the quality of the English game was better so I nearly got around to going to a QPR game when I lived in Shepherd's Bush. I could occasionally hear the Arsenal crowd (or possibly it was the away support) when I lived in Highbury but for some reason that didn't appeal. The first professional match I ended up going to was BHA v Doncaster Rovers in August 2011, finally supporting my local team. You don't change allegiances after an experience like that.

I still support Scotland in international tournaments but that hasn't taken much effort for 23 years. It turns out that a Euros can be a real time sink. Who knew? For most of the time that Scotland were out of finals action I found it impossible to support England's overhyped prima donnas but whatever his qualities as a coach (see forum topics passim) Southgate has assembled a fairly likable squad of lads and _finally_, after fifty interminable years, the English press seem to have accepted that they aren't destined to win every tournament, so I've been supporting England a bit recently. (Not Grealish, not Kane.) It still feels a little odd, even though I've been supporting England's rugby team in world cups (after Scotland are eliminated) since 2003. When Scotland go home too soon again, I'll support England in the knockout stages.

But possibly not in the final if you make it there. If you win another tournament you could be insufferable for another fifty years.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Born and bred in Brighton. My supporting preferences in order

Albion
Sussex cricket
England cricket
England rugby
Lions rugby
England football (that would go up a place if a Brighton player was playing mind!)

I'm in a similar boat
I think as you get older the England football team slip further down the list

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'm in a similar boat
I think as you get older the England football team slip further down the list

Interesting observation, as I feel like that…..

I follow Italy as my second ‘nation’, no blood ties, just because I like the people and have enjoyable holidays there!

If England played Italy, I’d support England but it wouldn’t worry me if England lost, whereas when Brighton lose I’m completely gutted and pissed off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iford Albion

Jul 30, 2017
Born in Brighton, support Brighton
Born in England, support England

them's the rules.

Really? I was born in Germany because my dad was in the army. Grew up in brighton. But according to the rules i should have supported Dortmund and 'West germany' for the last 50 years. Please accept my sincerest apologies for my misunderstanding and thanks for your wisdom and clarity. I will now cheer Deutschland when 'we' win the euros.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
A Born Sutton Surrey (hope that's far enough North for you) moved to Sussex when 7 years old, in my defence can trace my family in Sussex back to 1700 some in Maresfield! Grandfather born in Rye :eek:)
B I qualify for England, second team Wayales mainly coz they let me stay here!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I'm from right on the border of Kent and East Sussex.
But I don't care, I only sit up and take any real notice of England if we get to a quarter final, then I am right behind them and nervous.
Up until then it's 100% Brighton, the whole England set up, fans and media have pissed me off for years.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
A Born Sutton Surrey (hope that's far enough North for you) moved to Sussex when 7 years old, in my defence can trace my family in Sussex back to 1700 some in Maresfield! Grandfather born in Rye :eek:)
B I qualify for England, second team Wayales mainly coz they let me stay here!

Yep anywhere north of Gatwick is oop norf
It was more a generalisation to prompt discussion
As to why people follow who they do

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
‘A Follow the Albion despite perhaps being of northern / foreign origin
B follow another international team other than England ‘

Them’s the rules

Edit; just noticed they are your rules !

Haha I must re read MY question :blush:
I may have to edit the rules ��

Last edited:

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Born in Brighton, support Brighton
Born in England, support England

them's the rules.

Largely ignored by many kids growing up in Brighton and throughout
Sussex even when we were previously successful
The lure of following London clubs and Mancs /Scousers proved too big a temptation
Even more so since the inception of Sky and arm chair football
And our perilous journey downwards
Happily our resurrection may impact upon this positively
And future generations pick the Albion as their team

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Born in London, raised in Shoreham, live in London, so BHA till I die. Internationally, hate English nationalism so much that I support Argentina - although in a plastic kinda way as I never know when they're playing, who's in the team and rarely watch them. I do follow Goztepe in Turkey, as it's my wife's families team and they're the Turkish Brighton.

Not often I get a proper belly laugh on here, but this post is genius.......more succinctly it’s “Hate Nationalism, Love Argentina”.

If your self confessed hatred of English nationalism is so strong you actively support Argentina, what specially were the liberal attributes of that country that drew you to such a decision?

I can’t think of any time in the last 40 years that English nationalism was responsible for rounding up tens of thousands of lefties, stripping them naked and then dumping them out the back of C-130s over the North Sea, but I may have missed something.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Not often I get a proper belly laugh on here, but this post is genius.......more succinctly it’s “Hate Nationalism, Love Argentina”.

If your self confessed hatred of English nationalism is so strong you actively support Argentina, what specially were the liberal attributes of that country that drew you to such a decision?

I can’t think of any time in the last 40 years that English nationalism was responsible for rounding up tens of thousands of lefties, stripping them naked and then dumping them out the back of C-130s over the North Sea, but I may have missed something.

Wasn't supporting Argentina 40 years ago. And prefer the Kirchners to Boris. Didn't support England in the 18th century when it dumped a million Africans in the Atlantic, or the 20th when it slaughtered lefties from Kenya to Malay, Guyana to Palestine. That's if you want to drag up the glorious history of humanity and the struggle for human dignity in a light hearted debate on what national teams we prefer.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Wasn't supporting Argentina 40 years ago. And prefer the Kirchners to Boris. Didn't support England in the 18th century when it dumped a million Africans in the Atlantic, or the 20th when it slaughtered lefties from Kenya to Malay, Guyana to Palestine. That's if you want to drag up the glorious history of humanity and the struggle for human dignity in a light hearted debate on what national teams we prefer.

Ha, this gets better.......you know Africans being enslaved and mistreated by other powerful nationalist states outdates even English nationalism.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanj_Rebellion

African slave revolts in the 600s means they were being enslaved a few centuries before King Alfred, but I know it’s the English slavery that was the worst once we got to the party 1000 years later..

As for Malaya, my old man did his National Service there, he had no compunction in waging war against communists. They were a rum lot.........good riddance to them and traitors like Messers Philby.Burgess, Maclean et al.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here