[Football] Club affiliation National team loyalty ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Born in the borough of Merton but raised in Sussex since the age of 5. The first professional club I went to see is the same one I support now. From Third to First and back to the basement only to rise to the EPL again. I also support my country, right or wrong.

I have to say I don't understand those that turn their back on their country, it's would be a bit like turning your back on your kids just because another kid is a better footballer. That doesn't mean you can't recognize better teams or enjoy the skills of opposition players but the allegiance doesn't change.

el punal

I’d have more affiliation with England if we had our own National Anthem. It’s ****ing embarrassing rolling out our dirge when we play Scotland or Wales. In fact, replace GSTQ with GOSBTS. Job’s a good ‘un.

Maybe, but it will be the shortest National Anthem ever, sung at a varied tempo with discordant voices by different groups.

Altogether now : Nows timefer marshin,

Nowlet yer’earts begay,

Arkter merryoogles,

Soundin long erway

Suh letvoyces ring m’boyz,

Antaketime fru’me,

An’ul singyer song azwemarshlong,

O’Sucks boysea,

Sucks! Sucksboysea,

Goo’ol Suckboysea!

Yoomaytellem orl stanawful fer Suckboysea! :eek: :facepalm:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Born in Dumbaton, Scotland. Moved to Brighton in 1974 and started following Brighton not long after. I was born into a Rangers supporting family but rarely went to watch them so the bond wasn't strong. I moved back to Scotland in 2001 and was intending to get a season ticket at Rangers, but experiencing the bigotry, idiocy and ignorance from both sides of the religious divide in Glasgow was enough for me to turn my back on ever getting a ticket, never mind a season ticket. I didn't grow up with that crap in my life (thankfully) and i'd like to think anyone with half a brain would be able to rise above that bile, sadly though, that seems not to be the case.

I did go and watch a few games at Motherwell and at Hamilton but the feeling just wasn't there, i guess Bruno is right, once a seagull.....

As for Scotland, i'm Scottish so i will support my nation but i don't really hate England in fact if they're playing anyone but Scotland i will probably be watching and willing them to win, i have now lived in Spain for nearly 7 years and watch them, willing them to win too, except against Scotland.

My Scottish team is Queen's Park. I feel a bit enslaved and would rather support someone else but they were the team I chose as a kid. It's only because we lived in Queen's Park in Brighton and still do.

I've never wanted to see them at Hampden as it seemed a silly place to play. But I understand they have moved/are moving across the road and once they are in the little place I will go up for a game.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’ve just read the opening post again and then read this.

Odd :moo: :)

I read it as asking the reason for following the Albion and/or a national team, with an interest in (though not a requirement for) links that are tenuous. Other people have mentioned they are from Shoreham. :shrug:

Edit, no you're right. My bad :eek:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I’m curious as to some of the tenuous connections or more genuine reasons why you
A Follow the Albion despite perhaps being of northern / foreign origin
B follow another international team other than England

I read it as asking the reason for following the Albion and/or a national team, with an interest in (though not a requirement for) links that are tenuous. Other people have mentioned they are from Shoreham. :shrug:

You were born in Brighton and you follow Albion
Born in England and don’t follow Holland.

Just seen edit :)

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Born in Brighton. My Welsh dad loved rugby so I joined in with him supporting Wales, though I support England against anyone else.

Support England at football though and can't stand Wales. Actually no, I just can't stand Bale.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Born in Sussex, not far from Brighton , grew up fully aware of the Albion and always an interest, attended The Goldstone as a young man and hooked ever since.
I have always supported England , but recently not so bothered. Albion's league status means I see these players as rivals now rather than lofty heroes.
Do you think that is why we see so many banners showing England support from followers of lower league clubs?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I was born in Sussex and obviously support Brighton and England. I have lived in Wales for 20 years so want them to do well too.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I grew up in Mid Sussex and have watched the Albion since the 70s. Went away to uni in London when I was 18 and never moved back. There has been no break in my Albion support and had a ST most seasons despite living in London, Surrey, Europe, Asia, East Anglia and now oop norf. We did consider a move to Brighton last year but feeling quite settled up here now and we complete on a house in Birkenhead in a couple of weeks time. I don’t have anything like as much affiliation to our national team but always enjoy getting on the bandwagon in the Euros and World Cup.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
My Scottish team is Queen's Park. I feel a bit enslaved and would rather support someone else but they were the team I chose as a kid. It's only because we lived in Queen's Park in Brighton and still do.

I've never wanted to see them at Hampden as it seemed a silly place to play. But I understand they have moved/are moving across the road and once they are in the little place I will go up for a game.

I lived in an area of Glasgow called Simshill growing up, it's quite a nice area actually and within earshot of Hampden, i have been to watch Queens Park play at Hampden and only having two sections of the stadium open with a few hundred hardy souls doesn't do much to inspire. But, yes, they are moving into Lesser Hampden, i think for next season and finally turning semi-pro should help them at least hang on to some of their players instead of losing them to the likes of Albion Rovers, well done to them for sticking to their principles for so long though.

If you do go up, enjoy your game, there is lots to see and do around Glasgow so make a long weekend of it, hope the weather is good and i'm sure you'll have a great time.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Sussex born and raised. Dad and Grandad both supported Albion. Now I do too.

With international football, I support England first and foremost but, when playing tournaments like the Euros or WC, I also want the other home nations to do well. I understand that position is deemed unacceptable by some but I don’t really care tbh :shrug:

zamora the merrier

Mar 1, 2009
Born and bred in Brighton. My supporting preferences in order

Albion
Sussex cricket
England cricket
England rugby
Lions rugby
England football (that would go up a place if a Brighton player was playing mind!)

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Started following Brighton as a 12 year old due to lure of seeing a football match in a town I always found interesting. Have followed the team ever since, some seasons as a ST holder, some as an armchair fan and some with the occasional match attended.

I enjoy watching England but I never get the same sense of excitement of a live Brighton match or when I see them on TV. I'm often a bag of nerves watching an important match on TV but I just don't get the same 'butterfly's in your stomach' feeling from England matches.

I know I'd be in the minority here but I'd take a Brighton fa Cup win over an England World Cup win.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I was born in Oxford to Brightonian parents.

Brighton and England these days.

I lived in Italy for a while back in the 90's so always follow their fortunes. I went to see Ancona often so still look out for them.

I now live in Geelong Australia and love watching the AFL down here.

The A league are pretty shit but I am getting on board with Western United.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
If I supported where I was born, I think it might have been QPR (possibly)

Rodney Marsh, Stanley Bowles, Gerry Francis..... where did it all go wrong?

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Born in London, raised in Shoreham, live in London, so BHA till I die. Internationally, hate English nationalism so much that I support Argentina - although in a plastic kinda way as I never know when they're playing, who's in the team and rarely watch them. I do follow Goztepe in Turkey, as it's my wife's families team and they're the Turkish Brighton.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I’d have more affiliation with England if we had our own National Anthem. It’s ****ing embarrassing rolling out our dirge when we play Scotland or Wales. In fact, replace GSTQ with GOSBTS. Job’s a good ‘un.

England have my full support in every sport we compete in as a nation, especially football.

I'm English first, British second, so I also support team GB when appropriate.

However, I will not stand for our national anthem and will always mute it if I'm watching on TV. That's purely because I'm not a Royalist. I detest that anthem. Mainly for they lyrics. Musically, it's also a dirge, which doesn't help matters. Doesn't lessen my support for the team in any way though.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Born in London, raised in Shoreham, live in London, so BHA till I die. Internationally, hate English nationalism so much that I support Argentina - although in a plastic kinda way as I never know when they're playing, who's in the team and rarely watch them. I do follow Goztepe in Turkey, as it's my wife's families team and they're the Turkish Brighton.

Good call. Definitely no risk of nationalism from the Argentinians :)

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Support England against everyone except the other home footballing nations because supporting the underdog is so ingrained in me. Sounds weird to most I appreciate, but a nation of 55M against one of 5M (Scotland), 3M (Wales) and 1.8M (N Ireland) should on paper be such a non-contest that it’s frankly rude to be supporting England in those matches. That said, other European minnows like San Marino, Iceland et al and I’m England all the way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports