Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clock tower in the 1960s

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
clocktower_looking_east.jpg

Interesting view of the northern side of the Clock Tower in 1967 none of which exists today. Anyone remember the really stinky loos that used to be underneath it?

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Theatre of Trees said:
Interesting view of the northern side of the Clock Tower in 1967 none of which exists today. Anyone remember the really stinky loos that used to be underneath it? [/B]

Certainly doo, very stinky but a work of art though !!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That takes me back. What was the shop that was shortly to become Virgin Records selling then?

I remember those loos. A favourite haunt of drug dealers if I remember rightly. I remember seeing a TV documentary on Brighton where those loos featured prominently.

Oh, and where's the traffic in that pic? It's taken at 4.20, presumably in December (given the number of Christmas lights). That must be 4.20 in the evening as the sky's too light for it to be a December morning. So either the clock's stopped, there had been a traffic diversion or there was a lot less traffic in the 60s than I'd previously thought.

Last edited:

I'm no expert as I come from Eastbourne but isn't that the Western face? That would make the shop behind it Boots in new money?

Edit - I see what you are getting at now. Shops on the left are the northern side. Too much bourbon last night.

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Remember it well! The place behind the clock tower (where Boots now is) used to be Virgin Records in the early 1970s. You used to be able to go in there, sit on the cushions and listen to LPs all Saturday morning; Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, ELP, Incredible String Band, Edgar Broughton, etc. Ah! those were the days! Just looking at the photo makes me feel 14 again.

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Note how few cars are on the road. Although I was not around in the sixties, these are evocative scenes.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
wow...you can just make out SubWay down North Street......marvelous :p

WATF0RD ZERO

Jan 22, 2004
I don't remember the stinky loos personally, but i think one of our teachers was done for soliciting there :eek:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Great Cornholio said:
My guess would be 4.25pm on 25th December 1967. That would explain the lack of traffic and people. Either that or the lights are making the sky seem lighter than it is and it is really 4.25 am.

That would be one answer. But who the hell is taking photos at 4.25 on Christmas morning?

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Brovian said:
Remember it well! The place behind the clock tower (where Boots now is) used to be Virgin Records in the early 1970s. You used to be able to go in there, sit on the cushions and listen to LPs all Saturday morning; Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, ELP, Incredible String Band, Edgar Broughton, etc. Ah! those were the days! Just looking at the photo makes me feel 14 again.

...wow - and there was me thinking that I was the only bloke who remembered Edgar Broughton - OUT DEMONS OUT !!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I did say 4.25 pm! :jester: Not many people would be around on Christmas afternoon. Walking along the seafront, maybe. In the town centre, probably not.

Doh, so you did.:dunce:

Reckon that's a good answer.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
what a cracking pic - got anymore of 60's Brighton in colour?

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
My guess would be 4.25pm on 25th December 1967. That would explain the lack of traffic and people. Either that or the lights are making the sky seem lighter than it is and it is really 4.25 am.

Oh dear. I just spent a couple of minutes trying the work out how the HELL you could tell it was 4.25 just from the picture. I need to seek some professional help...

:shootself :lolol:

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
Like someone else, I remember Virgin, cushions etc. (unique in those days to listen to what someone else would eventually buy (vinyl)).

Does that say Top Rank on top of a high building in the background? - Old Regent possibly??.

Brilliant bit of memorabillia.

Went to use the toilets after a lunchtime drink a couple of years ago and when I got home my Dad explained why they'd been closed down. Either I've been away too long or I'm in a time warp.

People didn't need an excuse to have a pop on a Friday night in the 70's, so the last thing anyone would own up to was being queer. The good old days.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
Maybe the clock had stopped - I remember it not working for a while.

Check this link out for anyone who has fond memories of Virgin, or even the automatic sandwich shop that used to be in the building before Virgin.

oh the memories...

Last edited:

Jack

Oct 1, 2004
Dear Theatre of Trees/Captain Beaky

Nice picture! And glad it's prompted memories, which is what it's intended to do. No problem with you copying it from the My Brighton and Hove website, among the other 1960s photos that have just been put up. But when you do, could you give us a credit so other people go and look at the site. Thanks!

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Jack said:
Dear Theatre of Trees/Captain Beaky

Nice picture! And glad it's prompted memories, which is what it's intended to do. No problem with you copying it from the My Brighton and Hove website, among the other 1960s photos that have just been put up. But when you do, could you give us a credit so other people go and look at the site. Thanks!

What a fabulous website.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here