Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clock tower in the 1960s

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Theatre of Trees said:
clocktower_looking_east.jpg

Interesting view of the northern side of the Clock Tower in 1967 none of which exists today. Anyone remember the really stinky loos that used to be underneath it?

That picture looks reversed .. or is it me after lunch :drink:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Jack said:
Dear Theatre of Trees/Captain Beaky

Nice picture! And glad it's prompted memories, which is what it's intended to do. No problem with you copying it from the My Brighton and Hove website, among the other 1960s photos that have just been put up. But when you do, could you give us a credit so other people go and look at the site. Thanks!

One question (if you're still around): I thought that Sussex Heights was completed in 1966 yet there's nothing but a crane visible on its site in a photo taken in 1967?

Man of Harveys said:
One question (if you're still around): I thought that Sussex Heights was completed in 1966 yet there's nothing but a crane visible on its site in a photo taken in 1967?
Tim Carder's book, the Encyclopaedia of Brighton - essential reading for everyone! - says that Sussex Heights was completed in 1966. But I have vague memories of it being built and I didn't arrive in Brighton until '66. Maybe the building is younger than Tim thinks.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Wow, what a great website. I'm going to have hours of fun on that.

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Jack said:

Nice picture! And glad it's prompted memories, which is what it's intended to do. No problem with you copying it from the My Brighton and Hove website, among the other 1960s photos that have just been put up. But when you do, could you give us a credit so other people go and look at the site. Thanks!

Your site is BRILLIANT. I'm afraid I am old enough to remember these along the seafront!

seafront_sputnick.jpg

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The "tours" bit of that website is just fantastic...the "go back in time" one is amazing!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
That Sputnik Star thing always reminded me of the Space Capsule that Superman grew up in on his way to earth!

Man of Harveys said:
What a fabulous website.
Superb!

Some things never change ...

"I remember the zoo very well and spent many hours there with my Dad. At one time there was a mechanical elephant that went around the zoo on rails, and there were seats on the back of the elephant, just like the real thing. There was a parrot house, remembered fondly for the one that bit my brothers ear! There was also monkeys kept in the building to the left of the entrance gates(now demolished). The gates actually had Brighton Zoo written on them. I started to research the zoo a couple of years ago, and there is very little to be found, but it was originally set up in the grounds of Withdean Grange (now Withdean Stadium) against the wishes of the local neighbours in the 1920s. Their fears were founded when some of the animals escaped (mainly wallabies) and it was closed down just before the Second World War. It then re-opened in the late 1940s for about four years and closed again in 1952." (Trish, 30-03-2003)

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Jack said:

Apologies Jack I did it very quickly this morning as I was a bit awestruck by the picture and wanted to share it.

Strike said:
Was there a Tennis venue at the Withdean site that hosted Davis Cup matchs in 30s? It was one of the best tennis clubs in the country apart from the UK.
Indeed there was. It survived until the mid 1990s in a very dilapidated state, and was demolished to allow an expansion of the car parking facilities for the Withdean Park & Ride bus service.

The car park lasted only a few years until the Albion moved to Withdean and put up the hospitality building and the South Stand turnstiles.

The cabin that serves as a ticket booth at the stadium is the only part of the tennis arena that survives to this day.

I was responsible for managing the Withdean Park & Ride service until East Sussex County Council handed that responsibility over to the new Brighton & Hove Council in April 1997 - so you can blame me for the loss of the tennis arena.

Last edited:

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Looking at the bit about how they stopped North Laine from being demolished and replaced with high rise flats, how did all those council flats come to be built in the Hanover area (thinking particularly of Albion Hill). Was there a plan to demolish that area, or was it bomb damage?

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
That area was slum area and parts were demolished in the 1930s (Milner Flats was built before the war) but were put on hold due to World War Two and the fact Britain had little or no money to continue it afterwards. The area was finally cleared in the 1960s.

Claremont Row
01471_small.jpg

Richmond Hill
01305_small.jpg

Circus Street (site of current market)
01205_small.jpg

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
West Hoathly Seagull said:
Looking at the bit about how they stopped North Laine from being demolished and replaced with high rise flats, how did all those council flats come to be built in the Hanover area (thinking particularly of Albion Hill). Was there a plan to demolish that area, or was it bomb damage?

It was definitely planned "slum clearance" - there was generally only limited bomb damage in Brighton (at least compared to Coventry or places in Germany). So yes, amazingly, someone once thought it was a good idea to knock down what would now be a fantastic part of the town centre, just like Hanover and North Laine.

D

Deleted User X18H

Fantastic thread I ahve has a look at my BH and other photos show other clock tower views on xmas day 1967 explains lack of traffic

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
The building on the corner on far side of the clock tower was where the first Virgin Records was … sat in the booths there and listened to the latest Jethro Tull, Faces etc etc in the very early 1970s

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here