Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Climate Change Hypocrisy

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
3 trillion tons of ice lost from Antarctica in last 25 years according to Sky.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I wouldn't want to be in Mallacoota right now.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/thousands-seek-shelter-from-bushfires-20191231-p53nsc.html

6a2728d9c5c3875b7972f82902d2fdbf56d9273b

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I can see why some companies and politicians espouse climate change denial. They absolutely know full well man made climate change is pushing us towards disaster but they want to make their millions before it all goes sideways.

But why does the average man on the street deny it? They actually believe it’s not happening? Surely they can’t be that naive? Surely? They have nothing to gain and so much to lose.
I can only surmise that they are bricking it and too paralysed with fear to acknowledge it and start to do something about it?

The enormity of what’s happening is too great to comprehend for the average person. Plus a sense of powerlessness to prevent. Like an approaching plague, until it arrives on our doorstep we are conditioned as humans to believe we’ll somehow escape / not be affected. Denial is a powerful form of hope, itself a coping strategy, that I’ve witnessed in those with a terminal illness.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
You seem a bit fixated with celebrities. Give yourself a break and stop reading tabloid gossip columns.

As mentioned previously it's a part of my job from 8 - 9 each morning, boring yes but necessary!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Poor you :) Either way, no need to get het up about Joaquin Phoenix's tux.

I think in the same way Mr Gervais spoke, I'm fed up with hearing what people's PR teams tell them to say which is always contrary to their actions, ****ing hypocrites!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/08/lab-grown-food-destroy-farming-save-planet

We are on the cusp of the biggest economic transformation, of any kind, for 200 years. While arguments rage about plant- versus meat-based diets, new technologies will soon make them irrelevant. Before long, most of our food will come neither from animals nor plants, but from unicellular life. After 12,000 years of feeding humankind, all farming except fruit and veg production is likely to be replaced by ferming: brewing microbes through precision fermentation. This means multiplying particular micro-organisms, to produce particular products, in factories.I know some people will be horrified by this prospect. I can see some drawbacks. But I believe it comes in the nick of time.

Several impending disasters are converging on our food supply, any of which could be catastrophic. Climate breakdown threatens to cause what scientists call “multiple breadbasket failures”, through synchronous heatwaves and other impacts. The UN forecasts that by 2050 feeding the world will require a 20% expansion in agriculture’s global water use. But water use is already maxed out in many places: aquifers are vanishing, rivers are failing to reach the sea. The glaciers that supply half the population of Asia are rapidly retreating. Inevitable global heating – due to greenhouse gases already released – is likely to reduce dry season rainfall in critical areas, turning fertile plains into dustbowls.

A global soil crisis threatens the very basis of our subsistence, as great tracts of arable land lose their fertility through erosion, compaction and contamination. Phosphate supplies, crucial for agriculture, are dwindling fast. Insectageddon threatens catastrophic pollination failures. It is hard to see how farming can feed us all even until 2050, let alone to the end of the century and beyond.

George Monbiot is a Guardian columnist. His film Apocalypse Cow is on Channel 4 at 10pm on Wednesday

abc

Jan 6, 2007

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
The hyberbole of a journalist who wants a headline! Mind you, if I was a farmer I would give up trying to feed the nation the way certain sections of the media and the likes of the vegan soc attack them as if they were the devil’s spawn!

He is a terrible attention seeker.

He is pretty clueless. Read some of his articles from the early 2000s. He was adamant that we’d all be dead by now.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The hyberbole of a journalist who wants a headline! Mind you, if I was a farmer I would give up trying to feed the nation the way certain sections of the media and the likes of the vegan soc attack them as if they were the devil’s spawn!

You see, you couldn’t be more wrong. I’m in this ‘space’ and have been for a while. I first tasted cows milk that had never seen a cow four years ago c/o Silicon Valley wizz kid entrepreneurs / capital venturists. Only a sip mind because then it cost more than rare champagne. And then I saw all the sci fi stuff you’re going to witness tonight, the stem cell farmers growing Biologically the same chicken legs and breasts...without ever seeing a chicken; food stuffs made out of water; feed to replace Krill for fish farms because gigantic Chinese factory ships are literally hoovering every ocean clean of the wild stuff including Antarctic waters so just like oil it’s going to run out. Only faster. So it’s absolutely vital these solutions are developed and deployed rapidly because quite simply how else we going to feed 20 BILLION people (which we’ll get to very soon) using ‘traditional’ farming? We won’t in short. And that’s before you factor in the climate challenges which are enormous.

The 4th revolution in food is now here: cell cultivation. The 1st was hunter gathering millions of years ago. Then 2nd came when we started farming hundreds years BC. The 3rd was mass industrialisation of farming in 1950s, with things like the Chorley Loaf which revolutionised production. And now this, each stage more rapidly arriving than the last (as in every other industry) because of technology and scientific advancement.

It’s a fascinating area, I’m totally onboard with tonight’s programme because I’ve already seen this happening in reality. It takes a massive mindset change to get your head round some of it, people say it’ll never happen but the fact is you won’t have a choice. Nobody faced with choice of starving to death and a perfectly safe biologically the same ‘burger’ thats got no animal welfare or adulteration issues is going to say ‘no thanks’. Equally, and you might have noticed food inflation in past decade and it’s not all Brexit related(!), nobody will pay for the ‘traditional burger’ when it costs £40 versus 50p for the cell version which is the same and actually better for you because they’re also been able to grow without several micro pathogens that are present in ‘normal’ ones.

Seriously, it’s not about to happen it’s already here. This programme isn’t actually saying anything that new. It’s got a brilliant title and it’s clearly caught the eye. Whoever came up with that piece of marketing is to be applauded!

Should be good but unfortunately I won’t be able to watch until weekend probably but lots buzz about around the industry.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

You sound like the type of guy that shits themselves over meat free Mondays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abc

Jan 6, 2007
You see, you couldn’t be more wrong. I’m in this ‘space’ and have been for a while. I first tasted cows milk that had never seen a cow four years ago c/o Silicon Valley wizz kid entrepreneurs / capital venturists. Only a sip mind because then it cost more than rare champagne. And then I saw all the sci fi stuff you’re going to witness tonight, the stem cell farmers growing Biologically the same chicken legs and breasts...without ever seeing a chicken; food stuffs made out of water; feed to replace Krill for fish farms because gigantic Chinese factory ships are literally hoovering every ocean clean of the wild stuff including Antarctic waters so just like oil it’s going to run out. Only faster. So it’s absolutely vital these solutions are developed and deployed rapidly because quite simply how else we going to feed 20 BILLION people (which we’ll get to very soon) using ‘traditional’ farming? We won’t in short. And that’s before you factor in the climate challenges which are enormous.

The 4th revolution in food is now here: cell cultivation. The 1st was hunter gathering millions of years ago. Then 2nd came when we started farming hundreds years BC. The 3rd was mass industrialisation of farming in 1950s, with things like the Chorley Loaf which revolutionised production. And now this, each stage more rapidly arriving than the last (as in every other industry) because of technology and scientific advancement.

It’s a fascinating area, I’m totally onboard with tonight’s programme because I’ve already seen this happening in reality. It takes a massive mindset change to get your head round some of it, people say it’ll never happen but the fact is you won’t have a choice. Nobody faced with choice of starving to death and a perfectly safe biologically the same ‘burger’ thats got no animal welfare or adulteration issues is going to say ‘no thanks’. Equally, and you might have noticed food inflation in past decade and it’s not all Brexit related(!), nobody will pay for the ‘traditional burger’ when it costs £40 versus 50p for the cell version which is the same and actually better for you because they’re also been able to grow without several micro pathogens that are present in ‘normal’ ones.

Seriously, it’s not about to happen it’s already here. This programme isn’t actually saying anything that new. It’s got a brilliant title and it’s clearly caught the eye. Whoever came up with that piece of marketing is to be applauded!

Should be good but unfortunately I won’t be able to watch until weekend probably but lots buzz about around the industry.

I agree - both fascinating but also a bit horrifying! Its early day though and no doubt what is a bit way out now will become the norm. Having said that, the resistance to GM crops (which could have great benefits in terms of feeding the world) remains strong amongst consumers and the jump from this technology to lab grown food is massive. I don't entirely agree with your point re food inflation. Food is at the lowest cost in our history as a proportion of household incomes. However we choose to spend far more on convenience, ready made meals, processed food, 'artisan' food etc

Above all else we waste massive amounts - the last estimate I saw was that in the UK alone we dump 4.4M tons of food p.a. which was at some point before OK to eat. A good starting point if we are concerned about food availability would be to eliminate this waste.

I do think new technology can and will do great things in terms of food production and what we eat. Whilst this may reduce the cost of food (it may well not though), the primary concern should be the total cost - ie the cost to the planet too. It is the constant pursuit of cheaper and cheaper food that has led to the intensive nature of modern farming (pesticides and fossil fuel based fertilisers), reduced food quality and the destruction of natural habitats whether rainforest or grassland.

Exciting times but we need to be careful to get the balance right.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I see there's very real concern now about the amount of glass and paper being used to replace plastic .... as one problem is solved another couple come along.

Surely it's less packaging is the answer but with Amazon et al sending out computer cables in plastic, inside oversized cardboard boxes we have no bloody chance!

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

Two massive mindset changes involved in terms of:

1. How we produce food
2. What we use land for

How much do you know about the technology he was describing in Finland? That seems to be the key to it all. Who owns the technology involved? How quickly can it be taken to scale?

There is no stronger ideology in this country than the belief that our 'countryside' and 'rural communities' must be preserved, as they are, at any cost. Strangely those that were quite happy to see non-economic industries go to the wall in the past don't seem so keen to see upland sheep farming go the same way. But change in our food system is coming, question is only how that change is managed and to what end. Hope we can get it right.

I don't think we'll get to 20 billion btw? My understanding is that most of the projected future population growth is based on people living longer rather than increasing birth rates, and therefore it is forecast to peak at 11-12 billion and then decrease (with f*ck all we can do about that projection unless you want to start talking euthanasia). But that still presents a major challenge, especially if the shifting trends in diets, towards meat, continues (growth in farm animal population predicted at twice that of humans was a bit of a shocker to me).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here