Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Climate Change Hypocrisy

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
abc;9181027[B said:
]I think the OP's point is contained in the word 'hypocrisy'. Wealthy celebrities love to preach and take virtuous 'look at me' stances as if they are the only people that care about whatever issue is their bag on a particular day, but their actions outside of their virtue signalling PR too often show them up as hypocrites. I am far more impressed with an ordinary person with an ordinary income that chooses to, say, plant a tree, cycle to work or turn down the heating. Not so dramatic and wont get a headline but actually requires more sacrifice.[/B](The exception to the celeb rule is Greta of course, who seems determined not to be a hypocrite and I respect her for this as much as anything she has achieved)

Exactly. Could not have put it better myself.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I care about climate change and try not to waste resources. I’ve also flown this year. I don’t consider that makes me a hypocrite, at least I don’t consider myself one.

Caring about climate change isn’t a moral absolute in my opinion.

It is surely more hypocritical to criticise someone for doing something that you do yourself which is why I’m not going to have a go at someone who is only doing what I do myself - i.e. in this case criticising someone for going on holiday by air.

Try being a luvvie -it is so much more fun to criticise others, who earn probably a 20th of what they do.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Is there a Coldplay offset scheme that prevents them generating new albums in the first place?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
So Coldplay won't tour their new album for environmental reasons (although all profits could go towards planting trees or non-fossil fuel solutions for stadiums), but doesn't stop Chris Martin and his family flying half way around the World for a bit of Christmas fun ... FFS you can't care for the planet on occasional PR days, I bet he also had to sit on the plane floor as all the other seats were taken.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...x-Chris-Martin-girlfriend-Dakota-Johnson.html

Maybe it's me but these people ram it down your throat when they've got a good aspect to promote and then give it scant regard when it suits!

No one is perfect, but please don't use that as as reason to stop being concerned about climate change or stop trying to change your lives and those of others around you in a way to make a difference, however small.

Nor criticise those who are trying to make a change, even if they are unable to get it 100% right. Their heart is usually in the right place. This is the season to recognise the good in people and forgive them their flaws.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
No one is perfect, but please don't use that as as reason to stop being concerned about climate change or stop trying to change your lives and those of others around you in a way to make a difference, however small.

Nor criticise those who are trying to make a change, even if they are unable to get it 100% right. Their heart is usually in the right place. This is the season to recognise the good in people and forgive them their flaws.
Absolutely this. It seems that anyone who tries to advocate action against climate change gets called a hypocrite when it turns out they use a car or take the odd flight. Usually by the people who are trying their best to pretend climate change isn't a problem and are doing nothing about it.

Any positive action to reduce our impact on the planet should be applauded and encouraged.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
So.... The moral is that we should only bother doing anything if it involves completely negating our carbon footprint.

No half measures for our OP.

Do what you can people.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
So Coldplay won't tour their new album for environmental reasons (although all profits could go towards planting trees or non-fossil fuel solutions for stadiums), but doesn't stop Chris Martin and his family flying half way around the World for a bit of Christmas fun ... FFS you can't care for the planet on occasional PR days, I bet he also had to sit on the plane floor as all the other seats were taken.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...x-Chris-Martin-girlfriend-Dakota-Johnson.html

Maybe it's me but these people ram it down your throat when they've got a good aspect to promote and then give it scant regard when it suits!

Pointless thread. This isn't about moral responsibility (which is what The Daily Mail, from which you quote, want to turn it into). It's a political issue. The only way it will be solved is by taking collective political decisions, brought about either through intense public pressure (eg XR) or by politicians taking the lead.
And on that note, we've just a GE in which this issue barely featured. C4 held a debate on the subject, and our PM didn't turn up to it. Check out the PR puff that features in the Tories manifesto on CC. In short, sweet FA will happen on this for yet another half-decade.
PS I f*&%ing hate Chris Martin and Coldplay.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Absolutely this. It seems that anyone who tries to advocate action against climate change gets called a hypocrite when it turns out they use a car or take the odd flight. Usually by the people who are trying their best to pretend climate change isn't a problem and are doing nothing about it.

Any positive action to reduce our impact on the planet should be applauded and encouraged.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk
This in spades, makes one suspicious of the motives off the Daily Mail.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

How exactly is he “ramming it down your throat”? By just talking about it?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Pointless thread. This isn't about moral responsibility (which is what The Daily Mail, from which you quote, want to turn it into). It's a political issue. The only way it will be solved is by taking collective political decisions, brought about either through intense public pressure (eg XR) or by politicians taking the lead.
And on that note, we've just a GE in which this issue barely featured. C4 held a debate on the subject, and our PM didn't turn up to it. Check out the PR puff that features in the Tories manifesto on CC. In short, sweet FA will happen on this for yet another half-decade.
PS I f*&%ing hate Chris Martin and Coldplay.

So it's "pointless" to raise this as one aspect of a very important subject then, oh, I see.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
How exactly is he “ramming it down your throat”? By just talking about it?

As with a PR conscious celebrities they choose when and how to try to place themselves as the moral leaders of life's main issues, ensuring that their Twitter feeds, instasnaps etc show them as "doing the right thing", that is until the family fancy a trip to Colorado for a bit of Skiing, because you couldn't possibly go to Scotland, could you?

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
As with a PR conscious celebrities they choose when and how to try to place themselves as the moral leaders of life's main issues, ensuring that their Twitter feeds, instasnaps etc show them as "doing the right thing", that is until the family fancy a trip to Colorado for a bit of Skiing, because you couldn't possibly go to Scotland, could you?
Which of the following has more impact on climate change - a celebrity who promotes action against climate change, but also takes a flight to Colorado for a holiday. Or, a celebrity who doesn't promote action against climate change, and takes a flight to Colorado for a holiday?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 22389

I bet he wouldn’t hold this view if his band were just starting to become successful. Easy to spout this when you’re a multi-millionaire.

Good post. Wish they would all **** off and leave us alone.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Which of the following has more impact on climate change - a celebrity who promotes action against climate change, but also takes a flight to Colorado for a holiday. Or, a celebrity who doesn't promote action against climate change, and takes a flight to Colorado for a holiday?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Clearly the promotion of CC helps, however my point was that it is somewhat hypocritical to us CC PR when it suits and ignore it when it doesn't.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

My point was about the claim it’s rammed down your throat. It isn’t; for example it’s extremely easy to avoid the social media you mention. If you feel,Instagram is rammed down your throat how do get through the day with adverts on tv, billboards in the streets etc etc?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here