Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clattenburg not charged by FA - Mikel charged instead

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If, after the internal discussions, the players still wanted the complaints to be filed, then the club would have been correct (in fact duty bound) to do so. But I suspect it wouldn't have come to that if they'd paused for breath, asked other players what they heard and tried to establish exactly what was actually said.

Yeah, I'm not saying they should have had a full blown internal inquiry, but if they could have got all their ducks in a row before jumping in with both feet it might have saved a bit of heartache all round.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
All this 'right to report it' bollocks - yes of course they have a right to report it, you can do that in a private letter to the FA, and they can make their inquiries.

Gourlay is an absolute first class toss pot for making the allegation public. Absolutely no need, and he has put Clattenburg's career on the line for nothing. This could easily have been done without it being public - hence the comments by Wenger and others.

I feel for Ramires to be honest, it got taken out of his hands by Gourlay and Buck, and it's astonishing they made a public statement. The next statement that comes out of either of their stupid mouths is an unreserved apology to the hell they have no doubt put Clattenburg through these last 4 weeks.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Time for the FA to mic the refs so everyone can hear exactly what is being said - would improve player behaviour in the long-term.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
So you think Chelsea should cover up allegations of racism?

No - I'm just defending Mikel and Ramirez. I think Chelsea should report allegations of racism but given that Chelsea were aware that no other player many of who were closer than Ramirez and spoke english, didn't hear anything, that the idea Clattenberg would say something like that is ludicrous in itself and that it was a significant allegation that would affect his reputation, I think they made the wrong judgement call.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What! If Mikel didn't hear it then how can he deny whether or not it was said. Are you assuming that Mikel spent the whole time listening to every word uttered by Clattenburg, ignoring the noise of the crowd etc.

What Black Footballers Association is that then. Didn't think one existed.

Because Ramires was reporting what Clattenburg said to Mikel and he was out of earshot of both Mikel and Clattenburg.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Clattenburg said "I don't gives monkey's Mikel" in traditional Geordie fashion.

Ramires heard this and went beserk.

Clatt gave explanation immediately to Chelsea and others.

No one at Chelsea thought to explain comments to Ramires or Mikel just jumped on band wagon blame ref first think later.

Latest in long line of one club showing shameless agenda driven behaviour.

Money cannot buy class

You're missing a vital point. It is also reported that Ramires was not close enough to hear the precise words and was told them by a third party. He then reported them. So who else stoked this situation and why? Seems there is a culture of arrogance at the club that might not be checked under the current leadership.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Refereee's union should call a month long strike to deter any other classless club from trying to similarly nobble a match official.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I'm not sure. I heard that that was the case, but the announcement today makes no mention of it. Don't treat as Gospel. The bit about Buck not knowing the expression is true though.

The head of the referees was on Talksport earlier and said that was a rumour created by the press, Clattenburg never mentioned that or did none of his officials. He has no idea what the racist term allegedly was. It is thought he said "shut up Mikel" and Rameries thought he said "shut up monkey", but then he doesn't speak any English and I'm sure Geordie would be really difficult for him to understand.

I still don't understand why if one of the Chelsea players thought there was a racist term used there is zero reaction on the pitch. Why did it all happen post game?

Mikel is getting done for bursting into the referees room after the match and having to be restrained from getting at Clattenburg.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
This reminds me. I wish refs would start to book players for diving if they don't award a penalty for a foul. Really winds me up.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yeah, I'm not saying they should have had a full blown internal inquiry, but if they could have got all their ducks in a row before jumping in with both feet it might have saved a bit of heartache all round.

apparently they deliberated and discussed the matter for 2 or 3 hours with the managment and laywers to hand to verfiy the claims. how far does one take an internal enquiry.

Gourlay is an absolute first class toss pot for making the allegation public.

again, they are bound by the FA rules to make it public (or the FA themselfs publicise the complaint). investigations in secret is going to fix this?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
apparently they deliberated and discussed the matter for 2 or 3 hours with the managment and laywers to hand to verfiy the claims. how far does one take an internal enquiry.

again, they are bound by the FA rules to make it public (or the FA themselfs publicise the complaint). investigations in secret is going to fix this?

So professional laywers, The Management (Buck and Gourlay are pretty much Hale and Pace!) discussed this for 2 to 3 hours and thought this was evidence? It's a joke. They think the world is against them and wanted to take some kind of misguided revenge.

There is also absolutely no obligation on the club to make it public until due processes have been followed following the submission of a formal complaint or allegation. You are completely wrong and quoting Bruce Buck nonsense. For what it's worth Chelsea made this public prior to even submitting formal documents to the FA.

Completely unfounded allegations will of course help the issue won't it. :facepalm:

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There is also absolutely no obligation on the club to make it public...

thats what i read, that they (or the FA) make such matter public as part of their procedure. if you think about it, this consistant with normal process of law where all allegations are a matter of public record. what you are asking for is things to be done behind closed doors, in secret, with no public scrutiny. nothing to see here, nothing happened becase back room deals brush things under the carpet? if this was a school teacher or a policemen the process would be the same.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
thats what i read, that they (or the FA) make such matter public as part of their procedure. if you think about it, this consistant with normal process of law where all allegations are a matter of public record. what you are asking for is things to be done behind closed doors, in secret, with no public scrutiny. nothing to see here, nothing happened becase back room deals brush things under the carpet?

Nope, read what I said, not what you think I said.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
So you think Chelsea should cover up allegations of racism?

they should not back people telling lies to ruin peoples lives. it was obvious to anyone with a braincell that this was bollocks from the off.

sorry mate its this sort of attitude of putting racism up there as the most heinous crime imaginable that totally guarantees we will see far far more false accusations with massive implications. we are sleepwalking into a real problem due to these attitudes, which help no one. it might feel GREAT and look GOOD to soundbite about zero tolerance to racism and all that, but its creating fear paranoia and hysteria, and doing little to help in a sport where black people are over represented and there is not a problem, except in the minds of sheep.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Chelsea FC = :facepalm:
They really have become the most loathed club in the country

funny that when it comes to racism in football people line up behind tribal allegiances and attempt to find differences between themselves and other clubs to make themselves feel better. you couldnt make it up. its too mad for words, its a direct trajectory from there to finding fault with people for their skin colour.

its not chelsea a a club that are inherently bad. its the prevailing culture that lets nasty thick people go nuclear with racism accusations because they know well meaning but fundamentally stupid people will back them regardless of common sense. nothing to do with clubs, its the culture in this country currently, and i see so many people on here contributing to it, unwittingly.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Totally agree. The only thing I'll add is: could Chelsea have done an internal investigation first before escalating the issue? A bit of investigation may have uncovered the context in which the word 'monkey' was used. It's quite a colloquial, idiomatic British expression and at least one of the many foreigners employed in senior positions by Chelsea (Bruce Buck, the Chairman) admitted to never having heard the expression "don't give a monkeys" before.

but you can create an atmosphere where accusations of racism (or more to the point, nasty name calling) can totally turn peoples lives upside down until they have been exonerated.

i would take the option of the former as the least damaging, to be honest, especially when there is not a racism problem in football and this is all total f***ing hysteria.

why are we tying ourselves in knots debating 'colloquial expressions' and all this bollocks. the fella can barely speak english. the ref is hardly going to call someone a monkey. its all lies. but people take it as if he has maybe raped a child the seriousness of what some lying dickhead has said. its mental.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
but you can create an atmosphere where accusations of racism (or more to the point, nasty name calling) can totally turn peoples lives upside down until they have been exonerated.

i would take the option of the former as the least damaging, to be honest, especially when there is not a racism problem in football and this is all total f***ing hysteria.

why are we tying ourselves in knots debating 'colloquial expressions' and all this bollocks. the fella can barely speak english. the ref is hardly going to call someone a monkey. its all lies. but people take it as if he has maybe raped a child the seriousness of what some lying dickhead has said. its mental.

No, I agree with that as well. As you say part of it is due to the current hysterical need to find a racist (or paedophile) round every corner. We sneer at the witch hunts of earlier centuries with their pitchforks and blazing torches but as a society intellectually we're no better. At least we don't burn offenders at the stake now, so there's been progress of sorts. I see Chelsea aren't going to be charged with the FA equivalent of 'wasting police time', but I guess everybody just wants to forget the whole thing. My sympathies are entirely with Clattenburg and I hope the next time this happens (which it will) the club in question take a little more time and take some impartial advice before trying to ruin someone's career.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
No, I agree with that as well. As you say part of it is due to the current hysterical need to find a racist (or paedophile) round every corner. We sneer at the witch hunts of earlier centuries with their pitchforks and blazing torches but as a society intellectually we're no better. At least we don't burn offenders at the stake now, so there's been progress of sorts. I see Chelsea aren't going to be charged with the FA equivalent of 'wasting police time', but I guess everybody just wants to forget the whole thing. My sympathies are entirely with Clattenburg and I hope the next time this happens (which it will) the club in question take a little more time and take some impartial advice before trying to ruin someone's career.

spot on mate. it amazes me how people think there is some sort of linear progression in society, for the better. times and mores change, thats all. you read it on here loads, that current values and this immediate point in time are the high water mark of a compassionate and fair society. its total bollocks for the most part. that sort of view is scary, its totally lacking in genuine perspective.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here